Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim .ini and advanced settings/solutions to problems

Default Re: Skyrim .ini and advanced settings/solutions to problems

Download the latest ENBseries patch to fix performance issues. If it doesn't help you, wait for the next patch from Bethesda.
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

here's a setting that will likely make the biggest visual difference in exteriors (specifically: the wilderness and not within towns that require a load screen) but will equally be one of the biggest performance hits on your system.

under [general] in the skyrim.ini

uGridsToLoad=
    uExterior Cell Buffer=
    iPreloadSizeLimit=

basically the game decides to render objects and other things within 'cells'. uGridsToLoad, while not initially appearing in any Skyrim .ini file, is still used by the engine and the default value is 5. this will load the cells within the close vicinity of the player. increasing the value will allow the game to load cells that are further away. the visual difference is that you will see objects such as rocks, foliage, structures, etc in the distance that are not normally loaded even if you max out fade distances in the regular options.

the general findings is that values equal to or over 11 are very unstable and might not even start the game. 7 and 9 are generally OK when it comes to stability but the higher you go the more taxing it will be on your system.

uExterior Cell Buffer is calculated by adding 1 to whatever the uGrids value you're using and then multiplying it once by itself.

(v+1)^1
    v being uGrids value

so if you want to use a uGridsvalue of 7 you would want 64 in the buffer.

iPreloadSizeLimit is the amount of RAM the game uses to store data before it loads it into the scene and it's not recommended to go over 262144000

uGridsToLoad=7
    uExterior Cell Buffer=64
    iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

comparison
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

warning about SAVE FILES: if you save your game with uGrids set to 7 for example, but then decide to change your mind and change it down to 5, the file will not open. this setting is not retroactive with saves.

you'll have to do this:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at your current setting.
    2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
    3) Open the console and type the following:

setini "ugridstoload:general" 5
    saveini
    refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up

There's another, less demanding way of improving quality.

Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Banned I see whit this mod only darker. nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    Banned I see whit this mod only darker. nothing changes.
    well it doesn't actually make the game change anything within itself but it does alter the image quality.
    if you try it you'll see, there's a couple of things you can toggle on or off even after installing.

i turned both types of sharpening off as it looked kinda off and messes with the text.
    i turned off vignette as it looks hilariously bad in-game.

i left on bloom, tonemap and color saturation, only i reduced the amount of saturation, i thought the default is a bit over the top so i left it at .15.

after installing this mod you'll realize just how gray and washed out your game looks at default. the key is finding a good balance that you're comfortable with. here is mine, added a tiny bleach effect.
    you can toggle off the entire mod by pressing the Pause key on your keyboard, it should be next to scroll lock and print screen. good for noticing the change. you can also edit the settings while your game is running.

the change is very subtle in these resized screenshots, it's best to see it in-game.

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by snuggans; November 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Wen you install the FXAA which option you choose? You increase the gamma? Because I see the game really dark

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    Wen you install the FXAA which option you choose? You increase the gamma? Because I see the game really dark
    when installing i chose Preset 2 (preset doesn't really matter if you change the settings afterwards) then i went into

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim
    (or wherever yours is saved to)

and opened the file called 'injFX_setting.h' with notepad and changed the values there to fit my taste.
    all the instructions are right next to or above the settings.

if you want to make it less dark you can change the values under TONEMAP:
    gamma and exposure

lower gamma will make it whiter but you shouldn't go less than 1
    higher exposure will make it brighter

Thanks I going to make that. + Rep

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

It seems that turning off VSync makes the game more buggy than it already is. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...disable-vsync/

Tribunus

I tested it when the "fix" initially popped out of the woodwork, there are physics issues but nothing that can't be ignored and it does make the game more stable. It isn't that it fixed bugs it is that it fixed crashes.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    It seems that turning off VSync makes the game more buggy than it already is. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...disable-vsync/

Note that framerate has to go waaay over 60 for this stuff to start to happen.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

yea got my uGrid value at 15 currently make for some impressive screen shots also surprisingly stable but i was forced to move the game to my SSD to smooth out performance a bit.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeyesreaper View Post
    yea got my uGrid value at 15 currently make for some impressive screen shots also surprisingly stable but i was forced to move the game to my SSD to smooth out performance a bit.
    Along with the other tweaks i had 9 was too unstable, the game would crash if i was going to go into an area with alot to load, 7 still looks pretty amazing though

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

yea 7-9 is the sweet spot for most. but if you running it on an SSD or better yet 16gb of ram and run it off a software ram drive it can help alot on stability, but overall its pretty awesome to behold.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

I need an advice. The game runs fine in my computer with these settings:

Nevertheless, when my character goes to the underground (for example, mines), my computer cannot to run the game smoothly. Probably, I will have to low one or more settings to have a better performance, but I don't know which one. So, what do you recommend me?
    Last edited by Birdofilo; November 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Tribunus

Have you found your d3d9.dll and copied it into your game folder?
    Last edited by Magicman2051; November 22, 2011 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofilo View Post
    Nevertheless, when my character goes to the underground (for example, in mines), my computer has difficulty to run the game smoothly. Probably, I will have to low one or more settings to have a better performance, but I don't know which one. So, what do you recommend me?
    that's beyond bizzare as interiors are 100 fps for me but exteriors are 50-60 and can swoop down to 35 when viewing whole towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Have you found your d3d9.dll and copied it into your game folder?
    d3d9.dll? What file is that?

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    that's beyond bizzare as interiors are 100 fps for me but exteriors are 50-60 and can swoop down to 35 when viewing whole towns.
    It's strange, but that happens to me. This is specially true if the place has fog and many lights.
    Last edited by Birdofilo; November 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

turn Shadows down, an 8600 isn't exactly the card you want to be putting settings on High except the already bad textures.

Laugh I didn't know they had autoaim (damn xbox) I couldn't figure out why my arrow seemed more like a laser to the cross hair, I kept missing because I was counting on drop.

I did the .ini modifications from rock paper shotgun and while it looked better I kept getting random instant CTD's for no good reason at times. I need to figure out a good .ini set up which takes advantage of my 460 gtx sli's but doesn't CTD.
    Last edited by Phier; November 23, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast