Thread: THEODOSIVS, IMPERATOR, submod for IB:SAI (361 a.C. campaign)

Default THEODOSIVS, IMPERATOR, submod for IB:SAI (361 a.C. campaign)

"383 a.C., long ago has perished the line of Constantine, it's last scion, a usurper, dead. Two brothers divided the empire in two, one died by his unlimited anger and pride, the other was crushed together his whole army. On the west, Gratian, an eccentric and xenophilic man, rules as Augustus with his brother Valentinian II, but now faces the uprising of Magnus Maximus. In the east the imperial title and purpura had been offered to an hispano-roman..."

-THEODOSIVS-IMPERATOR-

So here I present to the fellow lovers of IB:SAI a submod idea about Theodosius I the Great, using as base the 361 a.C. campaign from the original mod. Following a suggestion by the great Joar I have openned a thread, introducing to you my submod's idea. It would be mainly a descr_strat codding work and portrait's editing, nothing more, the units and everything else will remain untouched. Simply it would be a new scenario located twenty two years after the last SAI's campaign, with new characters (Stilicho, Theodosius, Magnus Maximus, Gratianus Flavius, Valentinianus II, Merobaudes, Saturninus). Three roman factions; Theodosius (Using Valentinian's in SAI as base), Gratian (Former Valens') and Magnus Maximus (Old Procopius').

Of course it could be done trully fast with someone else's help and support.

Regards

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: THEODOSIVS, IMPERATOR, submod for IB:SAI (361 a.C. campaign)

Sounds good. Look forward to it. Best of luck. PM me if you have any questions in regard to scripting etc if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Sounds good. Look forward to it. Best of luck. PM me if you have any questions in regard to scripting etc if you need.
    Thanks!
    If I have any major doubt or codding problem, I'll pm you. Thanks for the offering and kindness.

Regards

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oznerol this is a great idea! +rep.

One doubt: Are you sure about units? All unchanged?

One suggestion: Please 12 turn per year! IMHO It's a must for a so detailed campaign.

One thought: It's incredible how time in some periods runs faster than in other periods. I was thinking about those 20 years! 20 years and we are in the Age of Warlords! Incredible, in only 20 years you pass from the hope of restoring the Ancient Paganism, to the half-barbaric Warlords! Incredible!

Cograts and good work Oznerol! (I'll play Magus Maximus of course! Good man!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Oznerol this is a great idea! +rep.

One doubt: Are you sure about units? All unchanged?

One suggestion: Please 12 turn per year! IMHO It's a must for a so detailed campaign.

One thought: It's incredible how time in some periods runs faster than in other periods. I was thinking about those 20 years! 20 years and we are in the Age of Warlords! Incredible, in only 20 years you pass from the hope of restoring the Ancient Paganism, to the half-barbaric Warlords! Incredible!

Cograts and good work Oznerol! (I'll play Magus Maximus of course! Good man!)
    I got the idea from playing 361! Here you have comes Theodosius and his son, the future Augustus is 16, so I though... Why not pushing forward a little bit the starting date? And so I have been planning this for few days. Fortunately, and for example, there are many things already done in 361, like valentinian family tree, and this will make my work easier. Many times I will just increase the character's age.

The units will be left unchanged as I'm not a moddeller nor a skinner, but I may make some legions not recruitable or change unit's description. For example I will leave Armatus Invictii Iuliani as a simbolic legio from the original mod, but I may change its description, location, and recruitment.

The problem with 12 t.p.y. is one bug I've encoutered many times, the reason I switched to 6 t.p.y., one which slowly decreases the character's movement points rendering them inmovile.

Yes! There is a rush, an acceleration in those times, they are incredible fast and full of changes and dramatic transformation. I intend the campaign to last with Arcadius and Honorius...

Let's see if all will go right and fast.
    Regards
    Last edited by Oznerol; February 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Hmmm...an interesting idea... I will of course be Theodosius and take Rome to new heights of glory! ROMA VICTOR!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

This looks very interesting, looking forward

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Valens Flavius View Post
    Hmmm...an interesting idea... I will of course be Theodosius and take Rome to new heights of glory! ROMA VICTOR!
    It's ROMA VICTRIX or Theodosius Victor.....I think.

Ooops...my bad...well then ROMA VICTRIX! Btw Diocle I am a huge fan of yours

sounds like a good idea

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    Three roman factions; Theodosius (Using Valentinian's in SAI as base), Gratian (Former Valens') and Magnus Maximus (Old Procopius').
    Just a little suggestion - Theodosius was made emperor by the Gratian in the Eastern part of Empire, it will be better I think to use
    Valentinian's faction as base for Gratian (he was also Valentinian's heir) and the Valens' faction as base for Theodosius. What do you think?
    Last edited by tomySVK; April 04, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Agree with above. I have some ideas that are essential to simulating this period. This scenario must include starting Theodosius off trying to subdue the Goths rampaging in Thrace in the beginning while rebuilding the field army of the East, including his massive recruitment of Gothic, Germanic, and Alan Foederatii. War chiefs like Fritigern, Alaric, etc. would be unpredictable allies at best, often rebelling for better status and provisions for their soldiers. Also should include reforms Theodosius made in the army, should basically reflect the Notitia of 395. Scripted events like usurpers emerging like Magnus Maximus and Arbogast and his puppet Eugenius as well? Battle of Frigidus. Not to forget the historical events and persons such as the Thessaloniki massacre, Ambrose of Milan, the banning of paganism, destruction of the Serapeum, etc.

I have tried 3 TIMES! to make a 395 submod for SAI but CTDs ... Good luck to you...

Are you still working on this?