Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Italy Election Day

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Default Italy Election Day

FORZA ITALIA!

But seriously this could be a real setback for Italy considering the last time that Berlusconi was in power including the notorious "bunga bunga" parties he had.Monti on the other hand is a technocrat albeit an unelected one supposedly so it remains to be seen whether fiscal discipline or personality politics wins out in Italy.

Silvio Berlusconi confirms new Italy PM bid

Silvio Berlusconi said PM Monti's policies had harmed Italy
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Berlusconi to stay in politics
    Bersani's hopes
    Profile: Silvio Berlusconi
    Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has confirmed he will run for the office again next year.

Mr Berlusconi told reporters in Milan that he was "running to win" - and that his decision came after his People of Freedom party had not found a leader who was as well known as him.

Mr Berlusconi said PM Mario Monti's austerity policies had harmed Italy.

Mr Berlusconi, 76, resigned in November 2011 over Italy's economic troubles and was convicted of tax fraud in October.

He is appealing against that ruling.

Mr Berlusconi is also on trial accused of paying for sex with an under-age prostitute, in the so-called "Ruby" case. He denies wrongdoing.

He has already served as Italy's prime minister for three separate terms and built up what is believed to be a vast personal fortune from his business empire.

Fear of judiciary
    Mr Berlusconi told reporters in Milan that everyone in his party had agreed that the PDL needed a leader "like Berlusconi in 1994" but "there wasn't one".

"It's not that we did not look... but one needs time to be imposed as leader," the former prime minister said, mentioning the PDL secretary general Angelino Alfano.

He said he was entering the race because polls put the centre-right PDL behind the Italian left.

The PDL abstained from confidence votes in parliament on Thursday - which the government won.

Mr Monti replaced Mr Berlusconi as prime minister just over a year ago, and launched a programme of reforms aimed at pulling Italy out of economic crisis.

Mr Berlusconi said his party had given "proof of great responsibility and had supported [Mr Monti's] technocrat government for a year, seeking to correct policies that are not convincing, whilst insisting that austerity in an economy that does not grow is harmful. And harm has been done".

The former leader said he had not missed the office of prime minister "not even for a minute" and he was returning out of a "sense of responsibility".

Referring to his confrontation with the Italian judiciary, Mr Berlusconi said he saw it with "a great sense of fear because we have to do with an omnipotent judiciary".

Mr Monti is due to hold talks with the Italian president later.

President Giorgio Napolitano has said he wants to avoid a "turbulent" end to Mr Monti's technocratic government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20652645
    Last edited by Darth Red; February 25, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Default Re: Silvio Berlusconi confirms new Italy PM bid

What can be said ... dude is unbelievable FORZA ITALIA!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

U mad Bro

Exit Question : What is wrong with Bunga Bunga ? At least one person has to have fun a in sinking ship, might as well be him.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    What can be said ... dude is unbelievable FORZA ITALIA!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

U mad Bro

Exit Question : What is wrong with Bunga Bunga ? At least one person has to have fun a in sinking ship, might as well be him.
    Surely the ship can be rescued though?

Italy deserves better than this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Babur View Post
    Surely the ship can be rescued though?
    What is ironic is that Berlusconi might be the only one that can rescue Italy, I heard stories of his downfall since atleast 1998, dude is going nowhere and people should just tone down the Puritan Jerking and accept the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Babur View Post
    Italy deserves better than this guy
    Maybe Berslusconi is the best man for the job, not because He is the best, but because everyone suck.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

ITALIIAAAAAAFORZA SILVIO!!!

Tiro

I'm concerning the alternative process of policies if he's elected again.
    I don't think any short-lived policy could save a dying economy,neither the frequent changes of the government.

If I'm an Italian,I would simply support Monti.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    What is ironic is that Berlusconi might be the only one that can rescue Italy, I heard stories of his downfall since atleast 1998, dude is going nowhere and people should just tone down the Puritan Jerking and accept the situation.
    he makes Rodrigo Borgia seem celibate in comparison

Maybe Berslusconi is the best man for the job, not because He is the best, but because everyone suck.
    Berlusconi is the President. Italy deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector of single women.
    correct?

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

This is bad. But Monti is even worse tahn Burlesqueoni. Only one hope for us is Movimento 5 Stelle.

Miles

I don't know wether Berlusconi's media will get him elected again. At least, his money will make sure he won't get punished much. Last time I checked it had been lowered from 3 to 1 years. Is it still the case?

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Occhi Di Davide View Post
    This is bad. But Monti is even worse tahn Burlesqueoni. Only one hope for us is Movimento 5 Stelle.
    Those guys are inspirational in dark political times...
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Occhi Di Davide View Post

Wise words here!

Monti is called 'Rigor Montis' (as to say that under his governement Italy is like in Rigor Mortis!!! a dead economy in a dead country! This is Mario Monti il Ghibellino!)

I remember reading analysis that said if Italy screws up it's finances, that will finally sink the Euro project. Maybe he's practising greenmail.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Monti's goverment is crumbling, the technocrats are running like rabbits faced with a wildfire, with a volcano or a whirlwind!

Silvio is poised to go for Prime Minister AGAIN! To prove once and for all that if you're a billionaire you can do anything and get away with it.

FORZA SILVIO BERLUSCONI ! ! ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMQhTnAzq0

Last edited by alhoon; December 09, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

macdaddy pimpin presidency.

Only in Italy.

The middle-left party will get a crushing victory at the next elections. I'm also curious to see where the elected of m5s will sit on Parlamento

Comes Domesticorum

Just give him the imperium maius and tribunicia potestas already.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

You know in America, we have a saying:

"Ball till you fall"

It now appears that Silvio can continue to ball before, during and after he falls. An unrivaled player fah sho.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Why do I have the feeling that he'll get elected?
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that he'll get elected?
    Silvio, is that a trump card in your pocket, or your are just happy to see ?

Feeling a hard object is never a good sign ...

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Just give him the imperium maius and tribunicia potestas already.
    What for? They will just occupy space in his home that a model could occupy!
    Those symbols don't catch a wiff of smoke in front of endless money.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast