Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Default Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQs are updated regularly and at this moment show mainly technical questions/issues you might have/experience.

Getting Started:

Installing on Vista
    Q: Why doesn't the installer work properly in Windows Vista?
    A: You should run the installer as Adminstrator. This can be done by right-clicking on our installer, and selecting the 'Run as administrator' option from the menu that appears. (It's usually the third option from the top, and it's marked with a shield)

Latest Version
    Q: What is the latest version of ROP, and where can I find it?
    A: The latest version at the moment of posting is ROP v2.22. To check if this is the most recent version, please check the Download Thread. ROP is using the -mod switch since v2.2.

Trouble Downloading
    Q: I'm having trouble downloading ROP. What should I do?
    A: Please send a private message to one of the ROP team members, either here or on the ROP forums. We will then provide further assistance.

Compatibility
    Q:
    With which version of Rome TW + expansions is ROP compatible?
    A: First and foremost, ROP is designed as a mod for RTW v1.5. This is the exe we provide full support for at this moment.
    ROP has also been proven compatible with the Barbarian Invasion executable. The current installer does not make a shortcut though - this can be done in the following way:
    -Right-click the shortcut to ROP on your desktop, select Properties
    -In the Target field, change "[your-directory]\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -mod:rop -nm to "[your-directory]\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -mod:rop -nm (where your-directory is the path to the folder ROP has been installed to)

In the same way, compatibility with RomeTW-ALX.exe has also been shown to work, though this requires some more steps which are shown in this post.

"error loading mount database"
    Q: When starting up my game, I get this error. What should I do?
    A: This error means, in most cases, that you haven't installed RTW 1.5, but instead have version 1.2. You should make sure that you have a clean RTW 1.2 installation and then you should install RTW patch 1.3 AND 1.5 to it. After this you can play (you don't have to reinstall ROP).

"Please select an item from the list"
    Q:
    When trying to start a campaign, I get this error. What should I do?
    A: This error means that you haven't installed RTW 1.5, but instead have version 1.3. You should make sure that you have a clean RTW 1.3 installation and then you should install RTW patch 1.5 to it. After this you can play (you don't have to reinstall ROP).
    Last edited by Nero666; November 28, 2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

ok i love your mod but i cant biuld barracks in concquerd provences it says i need some goverment thing how do i get what ever it is i need?

Good question, I'll add it to the faq.
    You need to move one of your family members inside the town for a few turns, then you have to build a government building, after that you can build barracks. You also have to play with the background script enabled of course, as the game is balanced on that

Lead developer of:

how many turns do they have to be there cuz my genreal was there for 20 and still cant build it
    Last edited by sushi347; July 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

I think he has to have the democratic, monarchist, oligarchist trait. I think all the family members have one.

Hi guys I need some help. After downloading ROP 2.2 I couldn't run it, I had to use a program (7-zip) to extract the ROP folder onto my desktop. I placed this in my Rome folder and then edited a shortcut of the rome exe so the mod would run (there was no exe provided as I couldn't install it as stated before, maybe you could tell me which program I need installed to run and install ROP properly?).

"C:\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:ROP -nm -show_err

I thought I had cracked it as everything was running fine, but when I try to start a campaign/custom battle right at the end of the loading screen I always get this error message before a CTD:

Rome: total war
    Generic error
    Failed to find texture
    rop/data/models_unit/textures/officer_rop_kyrene_lesser general_tga.

I can however play custom battles as long as I don't inculde Kyrene

I think the file you downloaded didn't have a file extension. Normally the file would be called ROPv22_final_b.exe. If the .exe part is missing, you should add it and then you can use the installer, after which everything should be fine. Probably an anti-virus or something renamed your file.
    Secondly, it's important to also install the ROP v2.22 patch as this greatly improves stability and gameplay.

Lead developer of:

You were right Nero, I added exe then I could run it.

I have a question: what is the recommended difficulty for Babylon? I am playing on VH/VH, because the faction choice menu said it is an easy faction.

I'd say VH/VH is good, as they have powerful units and a very nice position with lots of opportunities. What are your experiences so far with the campaign?

Lead developer of:

Haven't played too much yet, but the atmosphere of this mod is stunning.
    The starting position of Babylon is very convenient, no major powers in the vicinity, and the empire is large enough to handle uprises or intrusions.
    Meanwhile the economy is almost collapsing, you have to disband several armies and push up the taxes to very high just to get out of the red.
    So at least this creates some challenge. I think it would be historically accurate strategy for me to "duck". Sit on my lazy ass, and try to repel the foreign attacks. What do you think? :hmmm:
    Will post some feedback after I played at least 15-20 turns.

PS the movement rate seems a bit slow for for me, but I think it's due to the 4 turns /year timeframe, right?
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 31, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

It would be historically accurate yes, but you should at least conquer Cilicia early on in the game imo. Of course it's a game and not necessarily meant to be played historically accurate. You can rule the world as Babylon if you want, don't worry
    Indeed the movement rate is the same as in Vanilla, but we're using 4tpy so it's still twice as fast in a year. Maybe it needs to be upped a little, we'll test.

Lead developer of:

Okay, dropping feedback.

I decided to try another faction, Babylon just seemed to be a cakewalk, way too powerful, and unchallenged with its central position. So I picked an underdog faction, Kyrene.

What I like about this mod
    - faction symbols - gotta love 'em
    - the fastest mod I've ever played, I could hardly sip my beer between the turns
    - smart feature: conquest type - colonization / annexation / choice - makes it very fun to play
    - unit skins - awesome, just awesome; especially the chariot-generals and the greek infantry units + persian heavy cavalry
    - fun feature: monarchy - oligarchy struggle; you can get to choose your government type by building certain buildings (note: the agents shouldn't have conversion powers though, as they were not as powerful as family members)
    - ruthless and aggressive AI: i was besieged by rebels several times, and was almost run down by kemet in the 15th turn, had to mobilize my emergency resources ; I used toggle_fow to look at what the other factions are doing and Mada and Babylon were running crazy!
    - map: beautiful, perfect

What needs development imho
    - Babylon is a little bit overpowered
    - Greek factions are a little bit huddled together - no space for greeek AI to expand
    - increase movement rate, it is annoying that the crossing of the med from north africa to crete takes up 4 turns (which is a year, it should be half a year - 2 turns) - maybe switch to 2 turns / year? :hmmm:
    - there should be recruitable generals / governors in cities with an advanced military/government building

I liked this mod all in all, great mod + rep.

edit: sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread, you can move my post if you want
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; November 01, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

so this mod can be used in BI 1.6??

RS Beta Tester - Rome

Yes you can use this mod under BI, though it isn't specially balanced or designed to take advantage of the extra BI features at the moment.

Lead developer of:

If this mod is for vanilla RTW, how come you have separate models for a faction general and the king? I thought you could only have unique general models in Alexander?

I believe in Alexander you can have a model for just one specific person, while in normal RTW and also ROP, you can have a model per character type and not for specific persons.

Lead developer of:

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

Iam an old fan of this mod,but it has been along time since the last time I played it I had a very old version -downloaded 2 years ago- anyhow I liked alot but I have a question about the new version 2.2.. did you improve the Trait & ancil system? or it's the same as it's precedent??

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

We don't use the same as Vanilla at least, and there have been some recent alterations especially as we're using the BI religions system + traits for our government system. I greatly encourage trying out the new version, it's for sure much more complete than the one you've been using before

Lead developer of:

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks for clearing this to me Nero,Iam downloading the new version btw.+rep
    it's funny that one you watch Alexander movie you or 300 you run and play ROP. 2 days later you watch Gladiator your Run and play EB or RTR mods anyhow my point is that you all guys making a great effort here by introducing varities of Eras so thank you for doin' this great mod

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast