Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghoorkas, too strong ?

Default Ghoorkas, too strong ?

Heey guys !

Just played a 1vs1 game against someone who played as Maratha and i Played as Britain (early age). Really good game and i really enjoyed it !
    However at the end he starts complaining about my Ghoorkas (special Forces unit) and says they are to strong.
    I like mixing them with the British strong line infantry, and they are always very useful !

But are these units to strong in your opinion ?

PS. this is not me flaming my opponent. He fought a good match
    Just me asking for your opinion
    You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Default Re: Ghoorkas, too strong ?

I thought they say you couldn't use special units online?

Anyways, I think all the special forces units are a bit overpowering, that's why they're "special"

None of the special forces units are overpowered. 4-5 of them are underpowered and one or two are maybe, maybe "pretty" good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Life View Post
    I thought they say you couldn't use special units online?

Anyways, I think all the special forces units are a bit overpowering, that's why they're "special"
    Yeah, well you actually can
    However i can see that its unfair to take away f.eks. Maratha's advantage (meleunits) by giving f.eks. Britain Ghoorkas.
    But they're indeed very nice
    You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

The title made be laugh because, well, for centuries, opponents of the tough little hillmen have been thinking the same thing ... as they got hacked to bits by kukris.

I use my Ghoorkas in every early battle I fight, but they are not invincible and they must be deployed and employed properly. They do have a number of disadvantages - first and foremost is the fact that they are melee and second, they tend to tire quickly and third, they are very vulnerable to cavalry. But for shock attacks, or surprise attacks, they are hard to beat.
    Danny: "They thought we was devils?"
    Billy Fish: "Oh, Kafiristan people's very ignorant. I say to headman, Uta, I say 'Oh no, by jove! They're not devils, they gora sahibs, British soldiers!'"
    Danny: "Good man Billy Fish."
    Peachy: "And now, if you'll take us to this Uta bloke, we will begin his education."
    -The Man Who Would be King (film, 1975)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foojqh_Qm0

Praepositus

u are lame u cheat

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    u are lame u cheat
    lol!

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

I used Ghurkas today (1 unit), but my opponent had Long Riflemen which outranged me so I think it evened out

My opponent was cool with it too.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh's Avatar Senator

Yeah, I played several maps with ghoorkas, and they prove to be very effective. My most recent, i had them hidden in the bushes, and I sent them out to pwn and charge and wreak havoc, when my computer (laptop) fried and turned off !

Maybe they are overpowered, as in early period, the line infantry can't get many shots, correct? (or do they have fire by rank?). But I still enjoy using them. And the HMS Victory
    nos ignoremus quid sit matura senectus, scire aevi meritum, non numerare decet

Praepositus

how did u added them

how did u added them
    Well, as i mentioned in my first post you get them with the "Special Forces" edition, also including:
    Rogers Rangers, Ottoman Organ Gun, Burkeley's Regiment, HMS Victory and the Corso Terrestre Guerillas
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Praepositus

in the game with usa i mean the lame thing that u did in multi

in the game with usa i mean the lame thing that u did in multi
    I was fighting Maratha dude, not the USA. Take a look at my first post ?
    However I added "the lame things" just like any other troops you can add. As long as you have Special Edition you can add them to your army
    Napoleon Bonaparte

This game will never have a competitive/serious multiplayer option if you allow users to gain advantages in exchange of money.

I really don't think Ghoorkas are overpowered , I've dealt with armies with 3-5 groups attached and it hasn't been much of an issue balance wise.

Yeah I must say I was a little peeved about the fact that they can be used online, or at least in ranked matches. Honestly I don't care that much, I've sank the HMS Victory, killed Burkeley's Regiment and slaughtered Ghoorkas.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEI View Post
    This game will never have a competitive/serious multiplayer option if you allow users to gain advantages in exchange of money.
    You do not gain an advantage with the SF edition. They are not super troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arej View Post
    You do not gain an advantage with the SF edition. They are not super troops.
    You get more units to choose from, that's an advantage.

I didn't knew that.

It is even worse than I thought.

MP means the same for everyone, if not, it's definitely ed up.

I indeed find it a bit weird people scream over troops anyone can have while some people get special units.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Zyphlan is a legend, you don't need to be popular to be legendary .

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

Quote Originally Posted by PLEI View Post
    You get more units to choose from, that's an advantage.
    Yes, it is. But you can buy something else instead of them. Something else, that's just as strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast