Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: VARIAGMOD: UNITS for RTW - new skins & models

Mr.Gorby's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: VARIAGMOD: UNITS for RTW - new skins & models

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    Sorry if I ask again but could you point me all the downloads links? Thx
    In the first post has all the links, they work. I checked.

Big Bear's Avatar Tiro

Great figures, just had a couple running. Any chance of these Greeks being put on a download, the metal work looks particularly good.

Big Bear

Are you going to make Romans and Carthaginians too? I think that this excellent work demonstrate that RTW engine is as good as M2TW one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    Are you going to make Romans and Carthaginians too? I think that this excellent work demonstrate that RTW engine is as good as M2TW one.
    Finally, someone with common sense! I truely thank you for that remark.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I second this. The skins here are superb.

I love these units and formerly request usage in my mods if that’s ok!

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Сlick pitures

The level of detail in the armour and clothes is simply astonishing.

Wholy crap ... the units you have shown are best among the best. Great job, Mr. Gorby and all responsible. ME
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; July 11, 2009 at 04:51 AM.

Most mods are now resizing the skins to 512pxl [double size], your artists could make some really nice units if they done the same! they are lovely already but i mean they could be awesome.

Can I get a link to download the mod? I don’t care what language it is in.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    Wholy crap ... the units you have shown are best among the best. Great job, Mr. Gorby and all responsible. ME
    Gallo improvise Variag, it is his credit and honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Most mods are now resizing the skins to 512pxl [double size], your artists could make some really nice units if they done the same! they are lovely already but i mean they could be awesome.

Can I get a link to download the mod? I don’t care what language it is in.
    Yes, I explain in the first post topics, that we laid out packs, with the consent of the authors. Use please, but do not forget to thank.

I have previously in this topic gave the example of thinking about NEO sizes 256 and 512. There I left him a quote.
    Although, who knows, perhaps in the future.
    Here NEO tried to compare his work at 256 and work 512.
    Here are the differences they have, but not fundamentally. Click on the image twice, to expand the picture a few times in a row please.
    Last edited by Mr.Gorby; July 11, 2009 at 07:26 AM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Will Neo and his team come to TWC? These units just get better and better.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Oh gewd I think I will cry..hmm is it Xmas already??? I am rapt about the models yes,but I still am using warpsite,webbird and lusted models etc in game(Te Gold)as this what introduced me to RTW playing mainly. I have encountered also maximinius(oh spelling),SoR,arbaces,AR,HR,KLA,Laca,..bro Conquistador,Karlost,etc etc(sorry can't recall all names)and enjoyed RTW more from the days of vanilla. Cheers to all skinners in both here,the Org and elsewhere that have helped the game to be more enjoyable!!!! Here though I think is an opportunity to learn new skinning techniques as looking at model details..the greaves,insignia,flesh tones...and structure in dds seems completely different from what I have seen before. I am not a skinner sadly,but this is what I can see. If to learn how to improve the art in RTW then wow,..so thanks to the Russian team!!!!

Here are the differences they have, but not fundamentally.
    I have to disagree my friend…

Here is what can be done with 512, the roman unit is using a vanilla model, so if we compare the vanilla skins to this, then there is a real difference! You can get faces from photos and fit them on the skin, which is impossible in 256 as it just isn’t big enough.

I really like the work you guys have done, I think you would be equal to anyone in the world if you upgraded to 512.

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Amazing!I mean texture of this hoplite under te roman skin
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gorby View Post
    Сlick pitures

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    I really like the work you guys have done, I think you would be equal to anyone in the world if you upgraded to 512.
    No not really. 512 is only enough for the basic parts: head, body, chest etc. It's still too small for complete shield, cloak, weapons; also you cannot unwrap the whole body to have asymmetric patterns.....

Here is the best result I can get with 512x512, based on RTW officer model. As you see it's all filled and there is no more room to add even a non-stretched cover for the badly-mapped torso-neck area....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WE NEED 1024x1024!!!

or 2048x2048..... I have seen that in Mount&Blade and it's stunning....
    Last edited by AqD; July 12, 2009 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adq
    WE NEED 1024x1024!!!

or 2048x2048.....
    Sorry but I totally disagree.
    M2TW uses 1024x1024 but gets multiple units out of that texture maybe up to 6. With some planning and thought 512x512 is more than enough, you just need to be efficient with the space you have, not using large areas of the skin for very small parts of the model. You have to think how much is going to be seen in game. Are we making units for the game or just renders and movie_cam screen shots. 2048x2048 is 16 times bigger than 512x512 are you even going to see the detail?

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl
    I think you would be equal to anyone in the world if you upgraded to 512.
    I think that they are already as good as anyone's Ive seen, in fact this thread depresses me, I thought I was getting good until I saw this

Anything that you can fit on to a 512x512 texture can fit onto a 256x256 the only difference is that you will lose some quality. From what I have read I think that NEO is suggesting that you cant really see much difference in game. Either way its obvious that he/she knows what they are doing and they have already explained why they have chosen 256, and after all it is their decision to make.

I'm just grateful that they have released the skins, I'm looking forward to the Greeks

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
    Sorry but I totally disagree.
    M2TW uses 1024x1024 but gets multiple units out of that texture maybe up to 6. With some planning and thought 512x512 is more than enough, you just need to be efficient with the space you have, not using large areas of the skin for very small parts of the model. You have to think how much is going to be seen in game. Are we making units for the game or just renders and movie_cam screen shots. 2048x2048 is 16 times bigger than 512x512 are you even going to see the detail?
    What?! movie_cam screens of course!! I also began to use some of my new units for loading screens...

Can you imagine playing the beautiful artistic units from VARIAGMOD made in 2048x2048 resolution, with full-antialiasing and anisotropic filter? It'd be better than watching blue-ray movies and put hollywood to shame!
    Last edited by AqD; July 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Here is the best result I can get with 512x512, based on RTW officer model. As you see it's all filled and there is no more room to add even a non-stretched cover for the badly-mapped torso-neck area....
    Nice skin indeed! Personally I don’t think it needs to be any better. If we go up to 1024 we may as well work on m2 as it will take ages for each skin.

Anything that you can fit on to a 512x512 texture can fit onto a 256x256 the only difference is that you will lose some quality.
    I disagree, you cant get a decent face or much detail ~ I was continually frustrated by this when making sparta3. may i add that 256 skins are stretched onto the model by the game, many of my skins have 'blead' and pixelated after a few plays. with 512 they stay true to the original art more.

Heh, this is turning into a discussion among sages! It's all Greek to me.

Quetzalcoatl, aqd, Hannibal Smith - I'm familiar with much of your work on these forums and you're all excellent skinners. Enough said. As a layman, I can't say anything more than that. As for the optimum size, I don't care whether it's 256, 2048 or anything in between - just so long as it works well in-game. I often find myself using the latest models only to end up going back to Webbird's 'old classics'.

As for Variag and Neo's stuff, to my untrained eye it looks like they've created some of the very very best units (both models and skins) that I've ever seen. The sheer scope of the Thracian roster alone is the most complete I've ever seen. I've been using aqd's Thracian update pack for quite a while now, but I think I'm going to try out these new ones... I'm just waiting for those new Greeks... Hint, hint Mr Gorby.