Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total War on Vista?

Default Rome Total War on Vista?

Ave! total war fans
    i was wondering if anybody knows how rome total war works on windows vista are they any kind of problems?
    does rome total war modes work on vista?

(sorry for my bad english)

Default Re: Rome Total War on Vista?

RTW works fine on Vista.
    A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Works fine here too =)

Rome works fine on Vista but you cant edit text files so now unplayable factions sadly...

There are two ways around that. Right click on the file and click on properties, then look under the security tab.

Edit the permissions to allow everyone to modify/edit the file.

The other way just involves moving the file to your desktop, making the changes, and then just putting it back when you're done.

Icon5 Re: Rome Total War on Vista?

will this work without internet?
    The whole world is in chess. Any move can be the death of you.
    Baldwin IV

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tom View Post
    will this work without internet?
    You only need the internet to play Multiplayer. But if you don't play MP, then I suppose you won't need the internet. Is that what you're asking?
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Well the game itself works with Vista, but when it cames to modifying the game files and changing some of the stuff in the game, some problems may occur. I think it's cos of the new security precautions and things hardcoded onto Vista that makes these things so hard to fix.

Turn off UAC.

Civis

Or you have the read-only box checked.

you can also install it to a different directory
    thats what i did

it becomes a hassle, though, when you're installing mods and such
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Yeah you have to turn off User Account Control, otherwise it will ask you to give yourself permission any time you try and change anything. Also right click the RTW folder and go to the Security Tab. Click your user (e.g Family) and click the advanced button. From there you can give yourself full control over the files.
    Also your '~' button might not work for the console.

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Moved to Eras Technical Help.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I you're going to use Vista, learn Vista. Doesn't make any difference if it's games, word processors, graphics, programming. Take the time to learn Vista and its limitaions save yourself some grief.

I have an original copy of RTW with the three CDs and it installs fine. Same for my original BI expansion.

However, when I try to play, I get "cannot find cd: Please insert correct CD and click OK".

I can't find a solution to this and I'm reluctant to buy a Gold Edition only to find that it doesn't work either.

edit* Didn't know this was such an old thread. I reposted my own thread with more details.
    Last edited by Borluc; April 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Borluc View Post
    I have an original copy of RTW with the three CDs and it installs fine. Same for my original BI expansion.

However, when I try to play, I get "cannot find cd: Please insert correct CD and click OK".

I can't find a solution to this and I'm reluctant to buy a Gold Edition only to find that it doesn't work either.
    When you try and play what?

If you are trying to play RTW or a mod based on RTW then you need the RTW disc one in the in the drive.

If you are trying to play RTW BI or a mod based on RTW BI then you need to have the RTW BI disc in the drive.

What patches have you applied?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    When you try and play what?

If you are trying to play RTW or a mod based on RTW then you need the RTW disc one in the in the drive.

If you are trying to play RTW BI or a mod based on RTW BI then you need to have the RTW BI disc in the drive.

What patches have you applied?
    Ok, I decided to install RTW and BI today so that I could test out a mod that caught my eye. I have Vista and a generic DVD drive.

I have an original version of RTW with the three CD's. I installed it and everything went fine until I tried opening to check my version. I get the error message: "Cannot locate the CD-Rom, Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application".

Btw, it wasn't really a double post as I just offered some problems I had responding to this posts question. My problem is a more specific issue. In any case, I'm not using the wrong CD, and I tried using every one of the three Rome Cds.

I tried patching to 1.2 and retrying. Same problem.

I tried installing BI, same problem with BI disc. Same with patch 1.6.

I've also tried opening as an administrator and using backwards compatibility for Xp sp 2.

If I were to buy the Gold Edition does it have a DVD instead of a CD? Would it correct this problem? I don't mind shelling out ten or twenty bucks if I can play again, but I'd hate to waste my money.
    Last edited by Borluc; April 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Citizen

As you using Vista and if so what have you done with UAC?

When you installed the RTW from the three CD-ROMs did you check that the install worked OK? Did you try and launch the game before patching it?

Generally, the problem with the cannot locate the CD-ROM is caused when a more recent version of RTW is patched with the 1.2 patch - the game then expects the CD-ROM rather than the DVD-ROM (yes, I know you've got the three CD-ROMs).

Did you have RTW on this PC before? If you did it may be best to completely remove all traces of the old installation (this is the link usually referred to): http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...&f=3,3340,,all

The patches to the RTW game can be found at the bottom of the first post in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169585

The Gold Edition should have a DVD but I don't think there is any point doing that as I was able to use an original release of RTW (1.0) and patch it up to 1.5.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    As you using Vista and if so what have you done with UAC?

When you installed the RTW from the three CD-ROMs did you check that the install worked OK? Did you try and launch the game before patching it?

Generally, the problem with the cannot locate the CD-ROM is caused when a more recent version of RTW is patched with the 1.2 patch - the game then expects the CD-ROM rather than the DVD-ROM (yes, I know you've got the three CD-ROMs).

Did you have RTW on this PC before? If you did it may be best to completely remove all traces of the old installation (this is the link usually referred to): http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...&f=3,3340,,all

The patches to the RTW game can be found at the bottom of the first post in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169585

The Gold Edition should have a DVD but I don't think there is any point doing that as I was able to use an original release of RTW (1.0) and patch it up to 1.5.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I've done nothing with UAC, and it hasn't caused me any problems yet. Should I disable it before installing?

Yeah I did try it and it didn't work correctly. Same problem. Game installed fine, but prepatch it still gave me "enter correct cd". Do you really think that it failed to install right? Seems like a slight chance. How about direct X? I have 10 on Vista, but using compatibility to XP Sp2 didnt work.

This is the first time I've tried installing Rome on this pc.

Do you use Rome on a Vista pc? Thanks for any continued help. I'm pretty down that this isn't working as I was really looking forward to VI II.

Citizen

No problems. We're here to help - unpaid but here.

I'd suggest you have a read of the first and last link (both are Vista related) in the first post of the following thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167821

I read them both before installing RTW on my Vista PC. I used the Tweak UAC program which I think is suggested somewhere in the last link - I simply switched UAC to the quiet mode - although it's possible to turn it off if you want. It's quite useful as it explains what UAC is and why it's there.

I originally installed RTW to the standard game folder (c:\program files (x86)) but found that the saves and replays were in the 'virtual store' (it's explained in the links). I could find the files but it was a bit of a pain to keep remembering where they were. In the end (I was forced to do a Vista reinstall for something I did with the registry unrelated to anything here) I simply installed RTW into a folder other than the standard one (it's just a different drive letter, however, you could install the game to the 'C' drive but a different folder).

The RTW and RTW BI that I have are already patched up to 1.5 (RTW) and 1.6 (RTW BI). However, there is no reason to think that you can't patch up the RTW to the same level - I did before with my original RTW (3 CD-ROMs) and RTW BI (1 CD-ROM).

One thing to remember is that some of the patches only install to the original location where you install the game to. So, if you install to folder 'A' and then move it to folder 'B' some of the patches will install to folder 'A'....

So, I think you need to do the following (Note: there are no patches required);

1) remove whatever you've installed so far (via the control panel)
    2) delete any folders that are left over - both in the 'program files' folder and anything in the 'virtual store' should go (make sure that there is no hidden folders - see below)
    3) install Tweak UAC
    3) set UAC to quiet mode (or turn it off)
    4) install RTW 1.0 (3 CD-ROMS)
    5) launch game, start the tutorial
    6) check version number shown on the top right hand side of the options menu (1.0 hopefully)
    7) install RTW BI
    8) launch RTW with the 1st RTW CD-ROM
    9) check version number shown on the top right hand side of the options menu (1.3 hopefully)
    10) launch RTW BI with the RTW BI disc in the drive
    11) check version number shown on the top right hand side of the options menu (1.4 hopefully)

To find out how to find hidden folders have a read of post #8 in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233071

Once you've managed to get to #11 we can take if from there......

I think #12 is install 1.6 patch and then check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast