Thread: Opening the Blogs

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Opening the Blogs

See the thread in Q & S please. Respond in either thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ning-the-Blogs

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Opening the Blogs

Sounds like a trial period is in order. I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before something questionable pops up. With that it mind, perhaps it would be best to limit it to citizens who, after all, have proven track records of civility, maturity and composure.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Most of them do.

The real problem with assigning the permissions to Citizens as a group is that when they screw up the only way to remove their blogging rights is to remove them from the group. Which would mean they be stripped of Citizenship.

If I create a new user group called Bloggers and each member is manually approved then removing them from that group is easy and doesn't impact anything else they do on the site.

Each method has its ups and downs:

Citizen Pro:
    Don't have to create a new user group
    Immediately we have hundreds of people able to blog

Citizen Con:
    Removing from blog = strip Citizenship. Without another user group this is the only way to do it outside of forum masks which I will not enable for anyone, for any reason.

New user group pro:
    A lot more control over who is initially able to blog, but eventually could be more inclusive.
    Easier removal of offenders

New user group cons:
    The new user group. I hate adding new user groups. Its a hit on the forumcache which adds performance issues. One group isn't a big deal, but the last time I counted we had 1200+ user groups.
    Have to manually approve each request for membership in the new group

If I could absolutely trust the Citizenry there would be no issue. But I cannot. A few Citizens are prone to issues. So now I have to ask how big of a problem it will be, since I haven't exactly been really active lately I don't have a good feel for things like this.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Although I doubt that there will be an enormous amount of citizens that suddenly start writing blogs, and even less that will actually sustain it for a longer period, there are indeed some folks out there prone to issues. Ugly stuff has been going on and there is no guarantee that it won't spill over to the blogs.

There might be a simple solution to solve the access problem. When somebody acts unacceptable just tell them to refrain from posting any blogs from that point on. The sanction for doing it regardless of being warned could be removal of citizenship. This would take some administration, which should be relatively small and probably less work than managing a dedicated group.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

So leave blog permissions for staff as it is now.

Let everyone blog in the member blogs forum in the Writer's Study. No special permissions or access required.

Not sure if opening the blogs as you discuss will solve any problems, but rather create a few.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

It would be a pity if I can't continue the use of the blog function. Ah well.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Most of them do.

The real problem with assigning the permissions to Citizens as a group is that when they screw up the only way to remove their blogging rights is to remove them from the group. Which would mean they be stripped of Citizenship.
    I don't know if that would have to be the case. You could revoke their privileges of using the blogging feature even though they may technically have the ability to access it. Anyone who did use it after being told not to would be eligible for a defying moderation infraction, which could then escalate into a citizenship suspension. I imagine any sort of list of "citizens not allowed to blog" would be small enough to not burden moderation with keeping up with it. That responsibility could also be given to the newly created Prefects though.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    It would be a pity if I can't continue the use of the blog function. Ah well.
    Don’t you have staff permissions to blog because you’re a magistrate? You should, surely.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Don’t you have staff permissions to blog because you’re a magistrate? You should, surely.
    Nope, not a staff role. Lost the ability when I no longer was part of GS.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    I don't know if that would have to be the case. You could revoke their privileges of using the blogging feature even though they may technically have the ability to access it. Anyone who did use it after being told not to would be eligible for a defying moderation infraction, which could then escalate into a citizenship suspension. I imagine any sort of list of "citizens not allowed to blog" would be small enough to not burden moderation with keeping up with it. That responsibility could also be given to the newly created Prefects though.
    I am not giving 2 strikes on this.

I will post some stuff in the main Q & S thread as to why.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralBrewster
    Nope, not a staff role. Lost the ability when I no longer was part of GS.
    Now, you know what you need to do to get that 'privilege' back
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Well technically I am part of staff as head of the Uni.. but considering that doesn't give me access to content staff I don't have staff permissions to blog.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

University is not really "part of staff"... it was me trying to turn it into a new staff department, but other things have changed (such as the implementation of the Modding Team or me moving from Content to Competition & Awards) which have diverted my attention and my efforts from doing that.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I stand corrected I'm just a low class citizen then