Thread: The Blue Guard

Default The Blue Guard

The so-called 'Blue Guard' were the fourth regiment in the Dutch Army, their proper regimental title according to the Het Staatse Leger was Infantry Regiment nr4 Nassau-Saarbrucken. The regiment consisting of three battalions was commanded by Colonel Ottweiler. It was deignated as a Royal Regiment and therefore wore the livery of the House of Orange which consisted of a blue coat with orange cuffs, hence the nickname. Most of the Dutch Infantry at this time wore grey.

It came to England with William of Orange and distinguished itself in Ireland at the Battle of the Boyne, it also took part in other famous battles like Blenheim (Höchstadt), Malplaquet and Oudenaarde. With the foundation of the Dutch Republic the regiment adopted a more Prussian style uniform rather than the French style it wore earlier and its cuffs and lapels changed from Orange to Red.

Default Re: The Blue Guard

Yay! Finally a historical, pure Dutch elite unit!

Just the uniform thats a bit off, but hopefully the modders can sort that.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Yeah, the blue seems to be a tad too bright. Can't seem to find a very clear historical pic of the Blue Guards though, so I can't say how off the uniform is, apart from the colour.

Same here, most of the prints I've managed to find are water colours and so the colours are a bit washed out and pale in general. The majority of prints I've seen of Dutch troops from this period in blue coats have been wearing a very dark almost black shade, indeed some people claim they are wearing black, but I don't think this is actually correct.

There is a Dutch re-enactment group for this regiment and the blue they wear is much darker than that used on the models http://www.vlgn.nl/content/view/8/28/lang,en/ not sure what research they are basing their uniforms on though.
    http://www.vlgn.nl/index.php?option=...mid=59&catid=4

I've actually tried searching for information in Dutch, just in case there are some hidden references that haven't been translated. So, far without much luck, but I may get my sons Dutch girlfriend to do some searching for me.
    Last edited by Didz; June 24, 2009 at 05:33 AM.

I'm Dutch myself, but I can't find anything. Not even sure what the Dutch name for the regiment is.. The literal translation doesn't work

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Biggreenfellow View Post
    Not even sure what the Dutch name for the regiment is.. The literal translation doesn't work
    It does work.. The Blue Guard = "De Blauwe Garde"

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...241923&page=16

Last edited by Yoram777; June 24, 2009 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    Ah, my bad; I translated it as 'De Blauwe Wachters'

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    Ah! it was Guard that wasn't translating properly, I got 'De Blauwe beschermingsinrichting' which didn't find a thing. Anyway those guys in your picture look lore like what I would expect The Blue Guard to look like. But obviously without the beards and goaties.
    Last edited by Didz; June 24, 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Ah! it was Guard that wasn't translating properly, I got 'De Blauwe beschermingsinrichting' which didn't find a thing.
    hahahaha 'beschermingsinrichting'??? hahahahaha

I love webbased translators

EDIT: To clarify, 'beschermingsinrichting' means something along the lines of 'institution of protection' or 'protection institution'
    Last edited by Biggreenfellow; June 24, 2009 at 09:31 AM.