Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 Realism (S2R)

Default Re: Shogun 2 Realism

Hi DavVinci, can you make Yari Cavalry after charge they change yari to tachi for melee combat, only Great Guard unit is the only unit can use yari on horseback. Because in history records, the warriors who can use yari or other polearm on horseback are rare, and extreme rare samurai who can use Hazu-yari (a bow with 2 spear heads at both ends) like Yamazaki Shinpei (Azai clan) and Sengoku Gombei (Oda clan).

Most of yari cavalry are actually mounted yari samurai, it's mean they will use horse to deploy and dismount for land combat .

I like the idea of Samurai being much more costly.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Panzercracker View Post
    Hi DavVinci, can you make Yari Cavalry after charge they change yari to tachi for melee combat, only Great Guard unit is the only unit can use yari on horseback. Because in history records, the warriors who can use yari or other polearm on horseback are rare, and extreme rare samurai who can use Hazu-yari (a bow with 2 spear heads at both ends) like Yamazaki Shinpei (Azai clan) and Sengoku Gombei (Oda clan).

Most of yari cavalry are actually mounted yari samurai, it's mean they will use horse to deploy and dismount for land combat .
    Bold part: As far as i know, no we can't do that.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Bold part: As far as i know, no we can't do that.
    Is it because of the engine limitation or because you don't have the tools to mod it ?

thanks for your mod

Icon14 Re: Shogun 2 Realism

Becuase of this mod I decided to register to say how much I'm enjoying this mod and the features that it adds make Shogun 2 so much better, so thanks.

I think this mod is fantastic, the better morale, unit number increase, recruitment capacity increase...the list goes on......I found in vanilla S2TW that the cavalry were pretty much obsolete, the elite units were not much better than the Ashigaru troops.

So overall very well done.

Great mod, I honestly can't go back to vanilla. Is there any plan to add Oda Loan-sword Ashigaru, since they are supposed to get superior ashigaru units...

Warning, get ready for a read: (I usually type short post rather than long one if I didn't felt compel to so.)

After beating Vanilla, I thought I try out a mod.
    I tried Darth, & TROM so far, great addition to an already great game!
    So decided to take a huge jump into "realism" knowing that realism exchange authenticity for fun.
    To my surprise this isn't the case.

+Battle are longer
    +Love how Yari Spearmen use "YARI spear" instead of the Trident and switch to katana.
    +Everybody DEAD! (I always hated how "SHAMEFUL DISPLAY" the Vanilla BAI was. Unit always withdrawing. Comon! UR SAMURAI!")
    +Elite unit so REALLY Deadly, especially MONKS. (U DON'T KNOW SUFFERING UNTIL U FIGHT WARRIOR MONKS)
    +Slightly stop siege Arrow exploit. (Vanilla, I DID THIS ALL THE TIME!)

Now I won't list any negative, but rather question and suggestion.

- ? Why can't arrow be inaccurate but deadly upon impact? How much arrow can a soldier arrow in a quiver back then? Giving them low ammo would at-least in siege battle, force them to scale the wall instead of volleying from outside. I'm pretty sure everybody can agree upon seeing this in vanilla:
    * See 160 men fire arrow into 200 soldier but only 5 or 6 of them get hit. (Where did the rest of the arrow go?)
    * See SUPER ACCURATE arrow for the last men standing

After reading 7 page in this thread, I was surprise that the Yari was the most common/favor weapon. Though I can see why CA went with the Katana. Which lead me to my next question...
    - ? Where the heck did the TRIDENT go? I know in this mod it was remove from the Yari Spearmen. (Thank GOD)
    The "GREAT GUARD" (I think that their name) unit roster had them holding a TRIDENT.
    But in game they are using a Yari. Isn't the TRIDENT a better spear? It has blade to the side in case the little jerk decide to side step.

- ? What plan do u have for Sea Battle? (Vanilla, ship surrender way to easy, guess samurai are afraid of swimming.)

- ? New Unit are welcome but I hope this isn't a focus. The only new unit I would like to see is CLAN Exclusive Unit or common historical unit. I don't want a mega roster like in "modded medieval or rome"

- ? Does this mod, increase the minimum unit requirement before disband? I hate seeing 10 or 20 soldier survive on the campaign map after I chase them down. Should they be committing suicide after a dishonorable defeat? The same goes with LONE general after I killed their entire army/bodyguard. SHEESH!

- ? Lastly, are you planning to add new trait, vice, skill, etc?
    Some general value huge on honor, Buddhism, loyalty, following the Bushido or the chi, etc?

I'm look forward to this mod with great interest. Keep up the fantastic work! (This goes for all modder, all amazing work!)

Just one comment:
    Please consider that many changes require me to Hex edit the game. This is hard work and far more complicated. So please be patient
    Don't smoke the seed

Alan.rio's Avatar Libertus

I was delighted to see you guys working on this. If there is anything I can do let me know.

P.S. Aion, technically Yari's are pikes, not tridents. The idea of the two extra points is to stop the blade from going too deep. If you spear a guy too hard the blade will go all the way to the shaft, because the shaft is thicker it tends to get jammed between bones and ribs. Then you lose your weapon because you can't get it out of the body!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan.rio View Post
    I was delighted to see you guys working on this. If there is anything I can do let me know.

P.S. Aion, technically Yari's are pikes, not tridents. The idea of the two extra points is to stop the blade from going too deep. If you spear a guy too hard the blade will go all the way to the shaft, because the shaft is thicker it tends to get jammed between bones and ribs. Then you lose your weapon because you can't get it out of the body!
    Playing out mod and giving feedback is the best thing you can do. This helps us improving our mod as we need feedback.
    Don't smoke the seed

For suggestions for new units please check out this thread i started when the demo came out http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428766 there is a couple unit suggestions which could work here and maybe some inspiration

I'm really liking this mod but can you do something about rebellions? They usually get given what are now top quality units like samurai, which are very difficult to deal with in the early game. If you can change the way the rebel armies are composed it would be a bit less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by bodkin View Post
    I'm really liking this mod but can you do something about rebellions? They usually get given what are now top quality units like samurai, which are very difficult to deal with in the early game. If you can change the way the rebel armies are composed it would be a bit less stressful.
    Good point indeed. I will address in our internal discussion
    Don't smoke the seed

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by bodkin View Post
    If we can get access to the responsible file(s), which rebellion units are spawned, and that we can determine them to some degree, then yes, we will try to balance those rebel amies, as it is nonsense to get rebel armies comprised of mainly samurais - otherwise it would be out of our control. And also i must say, simply reducing the rebellion occurence would be a bad idea (for your own regions, this is mainly dependent on your own play, ie. if you allow food shortages).
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 28, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

@Alan: Those Trident spear of Ashigaru and Great Guard's roster are Jumonji-Yari, so what wrong if Yari unit use Trident or Jumonji-Yari?
    And Javelin in Japanese is Inu-Yari, word to word is Dog-Spear :-".
    Last edited by Panzercracker; March 28, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Install problem/advice please.

Played s2tw - 1 campaign won. no problems technically. (vanilla)

--------------------

Followed instructions on installation of mod packs.

Now SP campaign wont load at new campaign.

verified steam cache and defragged.

---------------------------

removed mods from folder for the moment.

Campaign SP will not load CTD . Historical and Custom load with vanilla.

--------------------------------

thanks - been awhile and thought this mod would be the one to try next campaign.

point me in the right direction thanks

edit - tried again with instal pack. no success yet. :|
    Last edited by jaggedx; March 28, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

Alan.rio's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Panzercracker View Post
    @Alan: Those Trident spear of Ashigaru and Great Guard's roster are Jumonji-Yari, so what wrong if Yari unit use Trident or Jumonji-Yari?
    And Javelin in Japanese is Inu-Yari, word to word is Dog-Spear :-".
    I wasn't saying who should have what weapon. Just pointing out that the extra points on either side of the blade were not there to get a guy who jumps to the side of the main blade. Just to stop the blade from going too deep, and I guess they were also used to try to hook men from horses.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedx View Post
    Install problem/advice please.

Played s2tw - 1 campaign won. no problems technically. (vanilla)

--------------------

Followed instructions on installation of mod packs.

Now SP campaign wont load at new campaign.

verified steam cache and defragged.

---------------------------

removed mods from folder for the moment.

Campaign SP will not load CTD . Historical and Custom load with vanilla.

--------------------------------

thanks - been awhile and thought this mod would be the one to try next campaign.

point me in the right direction thanks

edit - tried again with instal pack. no success yet. :|
    Did you remove the user script file as well, in case you have used mods with script commands? This is the only source i can imagine for your problem.

Allright,
    I really like this mod, thats why i post feedback all the time .

This time, i like to share how it FEELS (rather felt, because i was overrun) to play my latest campaign.
    My impressions are based on how the gameplay feels, not on historical accuracy.

I played with Hattori, difficulty hard, unit size large, other mods besides S2R 0.310 : speed reduction mod all 30%, better unit cards, realm devide + double prestige mod, Tonns 32bit textures

In the beginning, i spent all my money on diplomacy to make alliances with my neighbour clans to the north and south-east. I also paid some clans to break their alliance with my preferred enemy, the hatakeyama. When hatekayma was isolated i declared war on them and took two of their provinces. Only frontline was, at that time, to the west around Settsu. So far so good. I was hoping to have time to build up a strong army and castles.
    But, i was utterly poor. I could not, at the same time, upgrade my castletowns with farms, roads harbours and so on for income AND maintain a strong army to withstand the raging Bessho and Urakami clans attacking me from the west. Their armys consisted of balanced troops like yari- and bow ashigarus, sometimes even samurai ronin and light cavalary. The battle AI still gave me much more challenge then i expected, wich was very cool.
    I somehow managed to get the upperhand, but the province of Settsu switched owner almost every season.

The beginning of the end was when when my allies were attacked by takeda and imagawa, around the year 1551. I could not spare any troops to support them, so they fell quickly, resulting in ME beeing takedas next obvious target (see screenshot).
    Even the hatakeyama send a fleet with a full stack army to reclaim their lands !. Urakami continued sending stacks at me. Suddenly i was attacked from the north and west, and from the sea; Takeda with more than two full 20 unit stacks, urakani with a 20 unit stack and hatakeyama with a 20 unit stack. I had an army with 16 units. No way out ..

Although i was beaten my the AI, the gaming experience was good. I will try again.

Suggestions:
    Income: I think income need to be raised. The AI can afford much larger armies than the player, i felt so poor i could not even enlist a general or pay tribute to the fire god :/.
    I dont know how much the mod changes the CAI here, but the AI keeps sending a 20 unit stack almost every year. If i had to maintain just one army that size, my income would have dropped to around 600-700 a year.
    Ninjas: If it wasnt for my superpower ninjas, i would have been wiped much earlier. The are critcal to the gameplay, but a single man making a 3.5k army unable to move at all for three months feels overpowered to me. Maybe subversions should rather consume some of the enemies movementpoints, not all of them.
    Last edited by dem_n; March 28, 2011 at 07:26 AM.

Erik Hammarstrom's Avatar Foederatus

Im very impressed, best mod so far! However I have a question since I haven't decided how I feel about the cavalry in Realism mod.

- Do you have any changes planned for cavalry?

Thanks to all working with this fantastic mod!

/Erik