Thread: Will Stainless Steel 6.4 work on Steam?

henjan's Avatar Laetus

Default Will Stainless Steel 6.4 work on Steam?

Will Stainless Steel 6.4 work on steam? Planning to buy medieval 2+kingdoms from there but only want to play medieval 2 if i got Stainless Steel in it(not vanilla)
    Iv heard its hard to mod Steam games but got no idea :/
    Thanks

Default Re: Will Stainless Steel 6.4 work on Steam?

Install it and start Medieval 2 or Kingdoms over Steam. The Kingdoms launcher will come up, you click play. You can choose between all campaigns including Stainless Steel. Real easy, just don't use the shortcuts you get with your install. You can even use the Steam community features while playing as SS makes alt+tabbing and the chat overlay work without lags.

EDIT: And before you start your first game, go to the Stainless Steel folder and run the config with your settings of choice. You can't do that from Steam/the game/the launcher.
    "I'm playing the damn bongos and the world can go to hell."
    - James Dean

henjan's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Zhokar View Post
    Install it and start Medieval 2 or Kingdoms over Steam. The Kingdoms launcher will come up, you click play. You can choose between all campaigns including Stainless Steel. Real easy, just don't use the shortcuts you get with your install. You can even use the Steam community features while playing as SS makes alt+tabbing and the chat overlay work without lags.

EDIT: And before you start your first game, go to the Stainless Steel folder and run the config with your settings of choice. You can't do that from Steam/the game/the launcher.
    I did that exactly as you told but the game crashed before it got to the loading screen, i could choose Stainless Steel(6.4) from the list but it crashed, although the other campaigns(americas etc) worked. So what i did was i pressed "games"(above the "library" button)-add nonsteam game to my library- and then i browsed to the SS_Launcher and now it works.
    And i got medieval 2 complete edition(m2tw+kingdoms ofc) for only 10 euros ;D from steam.
    Thanks for the help anyways

You, sir, are an absolute genius! I have been going crazy over how to start this bloody thing and nothing has worked. Then I came across your post and voila! Everything works beautifully.

Saint12345's Avatar Foederatus

Did anyone have a problem with crashing custom games?

Kingdoms.exe doesn't exist anymore and I can't seem to understand the fixes. When I launch SS 6.4 the prompt for can't find kingdoms.exe doesn't come up anymore, but now it says "browse to MTW2 folder. Only paths on the same drive are allowed". I do have two drives. but not sure what to do now.

Tried to pick the correct folder, "unable to locate kingdoms.exe. Run launcher again for a new browse dialog"

I seem to have 6.3 working for now..
    Last edited by Navajo Joe; December 27, 2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Unnecessary creation
    "Suffer little children," said the controller.
    -Brave New World

you have to "make your own" kingdoms.exe, by copying medieval2.exe and renaming to... kingdoms.exe