Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandza: Total War

Default Re: Scandinavia in the migration period.

Yeah, I've thought about that, but there's not much space to put them. I wouldnt put them in the baltic... West of Denmark would be good enough, but it seems weird to put a great island there...
    Gesaga him éac wordum, žęt hķe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

Hi there,

The idea look awesome but why not extending the map a bit south to the Alps ? Including all Germany and a bit of France for a perfect Germanic Total War ?

Isn't it ?

Hope you'll release soon. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    About time someone did this!

Here's some essays on AngloSaxon paganism I've done-
    http://www.ealdriht.org/earendel.html
    http://www.ealdriht.org/wade.html
    From reading the headings they look to be well written. You seem a man after my own heart. The Old English religion is sadly not as well documented than the Norse but it does seem that we are learning more about it all the time.

Sadly what we do know is rather neglected (especially in English education), but hopefully what with Beowulf films (sadly mostly bad, in my opinion) being made other aspects of Anglo-Saxon culture will be explored more fully outside of small circles of those of us who either believe in the faith or respect it and find some forms of guidance from it.

I shall read more of them when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by éléysandre View Post
    The idea look awesome but why not extending the map a bit south to the Alps ? Including all Germany and a bit of France for a perfect Germanic Total War ?
    To start with I will focus on Scandinavia, but when the main theme has been finished, I might go further south and/or west in a later version.

Quote Originally Posted by éléysandre View Post
    Hope you'll release soon. Good work.
    It will take quite some time before I release. I have very limited time to work on the mod.

Dansk Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Dansk viking View Post

I welcome any interested members, who wants to contribute to the project, both with historical knowledge and all the other modding areas.

Dansk Viking
    I would deary like to help out on the historical and theological side of things. I can't say I am very good at the technical side of mod making.

I back-up the other members suggestion (sorry for not naming you! I'm still pretty new) that the map should possibly extend lower as depending on the time span you could also reference the Saxon's wanderings in what is now Germany (they founded if I remember three different states as they migrated further south).

You seem pretty cunning concerning the norse religions, that will help getting that aspect as historically correct as possible, I'm sure Hross can help in this area too.

I haven't heard of the saxons wandering anywhere else than to the british isles, but I trust they did, as pretty much all tribes where on the move in this era. I will look into it, and as nothing is set in stone yet, I might expand the map a bit.

Dansk Viking

yes, you're right, they moved south, but I think it was earlier, around 200.

would really love both scandanavia and the british isles in a mod of this time period. with a map like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ain_500_CE.png.
    only with perhaps more scandanvia

Like a northern Europe mod in the migration period... That would be kind of cool, but as I've said before I would really like to finnish the mod focusing on Scandinavia first. ATW already covered the British isles, so I don't think it will be to hard to expand the map later.

yes, you're right, they moved south, but I think it was earlier, around 200.
    They may have, but I was thinking more of the later migrations into Germany (on their way to eventually creating the modern state of Saxony) I think in the 500s they had moved south settling a large area on the banks of the Rhine and the original Duchy was founded in the 600s and was eventually subjugated by Charlemagne some time (I can't quite remember of the top of my head) in the early 800s and a new Duchy of Saxony created.

You seem pretty cunning concerning the norse religions,
    I am very cunning! It's one of my favourite areas of study.

that will help getting that aspect as historically correct as possible,
    It would be good as I feel the Germanic religions are stereotyped somewhat in popular culture, even in England where most of our customs hark back to that time.

I'm sure Hross can help in this area too.
    He seems wise in such matters!

Regards,
    Rędwulf

The first post has been updated

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Hello Dansk! I have always wanted a mod of pre-viking age scandinavians!
    If you need historical help of the geats and swedes pm me
    Oh and here is a vendel age warrior
    http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/130/vhA.jpg

Nice picture!:
    Last edited by Dansk viking; January 06, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Nice picture!:
    Tnx

---
    Possible factions:?
    Scylfingas = Swedish Clan (Skilfingar in old norse)
    Scyldingas = Danish Clan (Skjöldungar in O.N)
    Hrethelings = West Geatish Clan BEOWULF!
    Wulfings = East Geatish Clan (Żlfingar in O.N)

Those are excactly the factions I was thinking of. It could be cool if we could find clan names for all the factions... Frisians, Saxons, Jutes and English for example, and one tribe can be represented by more clans. There were other clans such as the Heatho-Bards (Jutes/English/Danish?) and the Węgmundings(Swedes/Geats?).
    Last edited by Dansk viking; January 07, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Those are excactly the factions I was thinking of. It could be cool if we could find clan names for all the factions... Frisians, Saxons, Jutes and English for example, and one tribe can be represented by more clans. There were other clans such as the Heatho-Bards (Jutes/English/Danish?) and the Węgmundings(Swedes/Geats?).
    Also the Heatho-Bards (Heašobards) where a "langobardic" tribe in germany who fought the danes

I've updated the list,
    Factions:
    North Germanic:
    Scylfingas = Swedish Clan. Faction location:Mälardalen
    Węgmundings = Swedish/Geats? location.?
    Scyldingas = Danish Clan. Faction location: Danish Isles and Skåne
    Hrethelings = West Geatish Clan. location: Västergötland
    Wulfings = East Geatish Clan. location: Östergötland
    West Germanic:
    Eotenas = Jutes. location: Jylland
    Heašobards = "the Warlike Bards".location: Mecklenburg,germany
    Angles = location:Schleswig-Holstein
    Saxones = location:Old Saxony

Should the mod have slavic or fin-ugrian factions?
    Last edited by Haršurāšaz; January 07, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Kaupang in Vestfold was the first town in Norway. You should include that in your mod

Quote Originally Posted by Svensk Viking View Post
    Also the Heatho-Bards (Heašobards) where a "langobardic" tribe in germany who fought the danes

I've updated the list,
    Factions:
    North Germanic:
    Scylfingas = Swedish Clan. Faction location:Mälardalen
    Węgmundings = Swedish/Geats? location.?
    Scyldingas = Danish Clan. Faction location: Danish Isles,Fyn,Själland etc
    Hrethelings = West Geatish Clan. location: Västergötland
    Wulfings = East Geatish Clan. location: Östergötland
    West Germanic:
    Eotenas = Jutes. location: Jylland
    Heašobards = "the Warlike Bards".location: Mecklenburg,germany
    Angles = location:Schleswig-Holstein
    Saxones = location:Old Saxony

Should we have slavic or fin-ugrian factions?
    Thats very close to what I've found out!... I just can't figure why the Heathobards were from mecklenburg, could you explain to me how you concluded that?

If it's possible, we should find "clan" names for all factions... All we need for those without a such name, is the oldest known leader of the family... As in Węgmundings means descendants of Węgmund, Scyldings mean descendants of Scyld and so on... It may be pretty hard to find any relevant family names, but we should try, as we're going to have to make a family for the factions anyway.

Also the Scyldings should have Skåne. (not Blekinge, and only maybe a little of Halland.)

Don't you think we should go for the native names, using old norse names for the northern Germanic tribes?

I've also been digging a bit in the latest studies of the Heruls, and I've come to the conclusion that they should be included in some way. Maybe being an emerging faction. (in Blekinge and Småland)

read about them here:
    http://www.gedevasen.dk/heruleng.html

There is also some interesting studies by the same author about the dynasties of the Danes and the Swedes (I just can't get hold of the book):
    http://www.gedevasen.dk/summary.html

Quote Originally Posted by Svensk Viking View Post
    Should we have slavic or fin-ugrian factions?
    I don't think we should have slavic or fin-ugrian factions, unless offcourse there are some interesting ones in this timeperiod, which i doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppeelsker
    Kaupang in Vestfold was the first town in Norway. You should include that in your mod :wink:
    It will be hard to find settlements for the regions in this timeperiod, and I'm sure we will include Kaupang, with another name offcourse. Might be Skiringsalr or something...

Dansk Viking

Thats very close to what I've found out!... I just can't figure why the Heathobards were from mecklenburg, could you explain to me how you concluded that?

If it's possible, we should find "clan" names for all factions... All we need for those without a such name, is the oldest known leader of the family... As in Węgmundings means descendants of Węgmund, Scyldings mean descendants of Scyld and so on... It may be pretty hard to find any relevant family names, but we should try, as we're going to have to make a family for the factions anyway.

Also the Scyldings should have Skåne. (not Blekinge, and only maybe a little of Halland.)

Don't you think we should go for the native names, using old norse names for the northern Germanic tribes?

I've also been digging a bit in the latest studies of the Heruls, and I've come to the conclusion that they should be included in some way. Maybe being an emerging faction. (in Blekinge and Småland)

read about them here:
    http://www.gedevasen.dk/heruleng.html

There is also some interesting studies by the same author about the dynasties of the Danes and the Swedes (I just can't get hold of the book):
    http://www.gedevasen.dk/summary.html

I don't think we should have slavic or fin-ugrian factions, unless offcourse there are some interesting ones in this timeperiod, which i doubt.

It will be hard to find settlements for the regions in this timeperiod, and I'm sure we will include Kaupang, with another name offcourse. Might be Skiringsalr or something...

Dansk Viking
    1.I just found another site, that they where from around Hamburg.

2.Agreed.

3.Ops I forgot Skåne ... , I read on wiki that the west geats had a stronghold in Bohuslän

4.Yes, Either Old Norse or Proto Norse
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Norse