Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7?

Default Windows 7?

I'm deciding whether change my OS to Windows 7 since I read this review here:

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...5167?artc_pg=4

Here is my specs.. e2220 2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram 800, hita 500 gb, ati 4650. What do you think will Win 7 perfrom much worse than XP? I want to upgrade cuz xp is good but almost 9 years old, there must be sth new coming with the new OS's. What do you think..

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Strelok's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Windows 7?

In my books, reliability comes before performance. Windows 7 is in the release candidate stages, which is still ironing out bugs. I would recommend to use a full OS over an incomplete OS, regardless if it is said to dominate in performance or not. Is there any reason why you aren't using Vista if you want something newer? It's recently received it's second service pack, which is a bonus. I recommend to either stick with XP or use Vista until Windows 7 is fully released.

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiponja_Hayabusa
    What do you think will Win 7 perfrom much worse than XP
    7 is aimed to bring overall performance improvements over XP and Vista. If something takes up more disk space and uses more RAM , that doesn't necessarily mean it is slower (although I don't mean to assume this is your logic, but it is a common thing I see).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiqiponja_Haybabusa
    Here is my specs.. e2220 2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram 800, hita 500 gb, ati 4650
    Your system would not struggle at all with using Windows 7 (or Vista).
    Last edited by Strelok; July 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Ive been using the beta since early spring as my only OS and ive never had a problem with it

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiponja_Hayabusa View Post

Here is my specs.. e2220 2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram 800, hita 500 gb, ati 4650. What do you think will Win 7 perfrom much worse than XP? I want to upgrade cuz xp is good but almost 9 years old, there must be sth new coming with the new OS's. What do you think..
    Always be careful. Have an extra hard drive with either vista or xp installed. I got all 3 of them and while I have to say that I was burning a movie to a dvd, i used windows 7, because vista kept giving me an error for some reason, but anyway, I have all 3 installed and each 3 on a separate hard drive, and it depends on my mood and what I wanna do which one I want to load into , but 70% of the it's Vista, due to all the stuff set up regarding my browser links and installed software. (and I'm too lazy to import/export and set everything up 3 times)

So have win7, it' free right now, but do have another OS available anyway, preferably on another hard drive.

My advice - don't install Windows 7 over your initial OS installation. (I.E, XP or Vista usually.) I have tested it out, and I would not deem it worthy of being your only OS. For me it was too unstable, and I had to pull 3 all-nighters trying to fix it all.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Дмитрий За́йцев View Post
    My advice - don't install Windows 7 over your initial OS installation. (I.E, XP or Vista usually.) I have tested it out, and I would not deem it worthy of being your only OS. For me it was too unstable, and I had to pull 3 all-nighters trying to fix it all.
    then that was your pc screwing you over, ive used it as my only OS since april, its fine

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

No. I have used vista for one or two months and it's nothing better than my previous windows server 2003. The new UI is unimpressive and quite useless as they didn't add any practical features (like Expose), and often causes problems with old apps and games.

Besides, if you upgrade now, you'd have to update again when they release new service packs and there is no 100% guarantee the SPs could install and function properly on a running system. If you really want windows 7, I'd suggest to wait until they release sp2 and then install it from a slipstreamed DVD.

My responses to the features listed in the review:
    1. Boot time - just don't reboot.
    2. Faster networking - not noticable unless it's 50% or 100% improvement.
    3. Better security - use virtual machines to test and there'd be nothing to worry
    4. Gaming - no matter because I play only old games like M2TW and RTW...
    5. Mobility - my laptop is always plugged.
    6. Entertainment - more DRM crap... I hate it.
    7. Reliability - no better in vista/win7

Actually, I can't think of any reason to upgrade the OS..... M$ would hate customers like me
    Last edited by Simetrical; July 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Sorry I had to post this
    Know where you're going in life . . . you may already be there!

Actually, I read an article a while ago about how someone got Windows 7 to work on Pentium 2 system. Meh, Windows 7 wasn't that fast for me, XP still was faster. (Must be bad luck. That, or bad drivers. )

Quote Originally Posted by aqd View Post
    [*]Boot time - just don't reboot.[*]Faster networking - not noticable unless it's 50% or 100% improvement.[*]Better security - use virtual machines to test and there'd be nothing to worry[*]Gaming - no matter because I play only old games like M2TW and RTW...[*]Mobility - my laptop is always plugged.[*]Entertainment - more DRM crap... I hate it.[*]Reliability - no better in vista/win7[/list]

Actually, I can't think of any reason to upgrade the OS..... M$ would hate customers like me
    That's a very ignorant list right thur.

Beyond each new feature, theres another HUGE List of sub-features that Vista and Windows 7 add which you're not even taking into account.

My aunt brought me her EEE-PC for me to fix today and I had nothing other then Windows Vista to put on it (it had XP). Now, the spec's of this PC are pretty pitiful.. 1.6GHz Single CPU (AMD) 1GB ram (860mb) and I was surprised at how fast it was (even with Aero enabled)

It was integrated with SP2.
    Last edited by Simetrical; July 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
    >>>>> METAL BLOGGGGGGGG <<<<<

I <3 Student Loans
    EVGA GTX580 1.5GB GPU
    AMD Phenom II 955BE C3 3.2GHz @ 19c idle
    16GB G.skill 1600MHz RAM DDR3
    Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Storage Drives
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Asus 2x24" Vertical Monitors + 1 Sony EX500 46" LCD TV
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

Bell FiberOP Internet 70mbps DOWN 30mbps UP

Yea, most people still fear Vista because of its bad past. I am on Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 and it is stable as stable can be. The service packs have helped a lot and it actually seems to faster than XP in some cases. (Internet opens up faster, etc.)

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Дмитрий За́йцев View Post
    Yea, most people still fear Vista because of its bad past. I am on Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 and it is stable as stable can be. The service packs have helped a lot and it actually seems to faster than XP in some cases. (Internet opens up faster, etc.)

I don't think people fear Vista it's just that Vista is still a let down for many. Huge memory foot print, UAC annoyances, slow boot times, reduce performance in games, slower networking, much slower shut down times, lack of power savings (why do you think netbooks ship with XP still rather then Vista?). Add to that all the regular issues you get with new OS's with driver and software compatibility Vista turned out to be PR nightmare for MS. The only saving grace for Vista is it's much improved security over XP, there's lots to like about XP but face facts security wasn't it's strongest suit.

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Love it
    My Gaming PC
    CPU: intel i7-2600k Quad-core @ 3.80Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600
    GPU: 2, Zotac 448 core GTX 560ti's in SLI
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX Semi-modular
    Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II XL-ATX Full Tower
    Heatsink: Thermaltake HR-02 Passive CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 with LCD Display
    Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless
    Screens: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55 inch LED ~ Cinema 3D ~ 3 in Nvidia 3D Surround

I myself am using Windows 7. I have suffered no performance problems actually. That, and It can play RTW fine.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post
    I myself am using Windows 7. I have suffered no performance problems actually. That, and It can play RTW fine.
    I'm burning the release candidate to disc right this second and installing it on a spare hard drive my boss kindly let me use. I've already used an older beta and Windows 7 was really good then it should be even better now.

HEM, I don't know whether 7-64 bit or vista 64-bit. I'll make the jump directly to Seven since it has been praised so much.

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Patrician

HEM, I don't know whether 7-64 bit or vista 64-bit. I'll make the jump directly to Seven since it has been praised so much.
    You should get Windows 7 64bit, 64bit should be standard for all new machines now and 32bit should only be provided for those who are running CPU's without 64bit support (such as the older Pentium 4 models).

Ok I installed Windows 7 last night on my spare hard drive and so far so good, the installation process was very quick and what was impressive was it installed straight to desktop without any reboots. So far I've installed Antivir, XVID Codecs, Windows Live Messenger, Firefox 3.5, Creative Sound Card Drivers (I was amazed Creative had Windows 7 drivers available) and VLC player all of which installed and run without a hitch.

I couldn't install Media Portal as it required DirectX 9 to be installed rather then the supplied DirectX 10 which seemed rather odd and I couldn't get Windows Media Centre to recognise my XVID films. The UAC got annoying at one point when I was trying to select a video file to play in VLC Player but that was quickly remedied by adjusting the UAC annoyance slider down one notch.

I didn't spend a long time on it but I did end up watching Indiana Jones The Raiders of The Ark last night in VLC player which worked a treat. I haven't installed any games on it yet and that's my next job, I want to try out some older games like Psychonauts and see if they still run as well as Company of Heroes: Tales of Valour just so I can see DirectX 10 first hand in action for the first time (does Fry Cry 2 use DirectX 10?).

Great feedback Freddie, do you think is better than vista?

I ll try the 64 version of win 7.

Is almost certain that Far Cry 2 uses dx10 as well.
    Last edited by Shqiponja_Hayabusa; July 20, 2009 at 05:29 AM.

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Patrician

Great feedback Freddie, do you think is better than vista?

I ll try the 64 version of win 7.

Is almost certain that Far Cry 2 uses dx10 as well.

Windows 7 is a big improvement over XP and is the OS that Vista should have been, I can only heap priase on it so far I haven't come across anything that I don't like. The interface is very clean and tidy and it hasn't taken me long to find my way around the the new interface. The task tray for me is a bit hit and miss, I do miss seeing all my background apps down there in the bottom right but on the flip side hidding them away keeps the interface from looking cluttered.

Now I've just been playing Unreal Tournament 3 (playing this reminds me of how good this franchise once was) with the latest driver updates from Nvidia for a good hour and I experienced no crashes, bugs or slow down. I really need a better video card to take full advantage of DirectX 10 but I'll make do with that I have (an 8800 GT). Tomorrow if I can push myself, I'll install Pshychonauts a game from 2005 this should work without any issues but you never know, if that works I'll try installing Half Life 1 or the original Unreal Tournament to see how the compatibility of this OS holds up.

The amount drivers that comes with Windows 7 is staggering, my printer and Epsom C60 is full recognised by Windows 7 as well as the near every other device I have barring my monitor.

You should get Windows 7 64bit, 64bit should be standard for all new machines now and 32bit should only be provided for those who are running CPU's without 64bit support (such as the older Pentium 4 models).
    Yup, follow this advice. I'm going to get a new custom built PC with the 64bit version of windows 7 mainly because of ram tolerance issues since I intend to eventually make an upgrade to the system with 16Gb ddr3 ram somewhere in the future and I need an OS that tolerates this amount of ram (and a motherboard).

Windows 7 is a big improvement over XP and is the OS that Vista should have been, I can only heap priase on it so far I haven't come across anything that I don't like. The interface is very clean and tidy and it hasn't taken me long to find my way around the the new interface.
    I agree, they should keep the interface as clean as possible.

The boot time is also impresive, a total of 24 seconds going through all stages.

Actually, I have a question, does windows 7 still have the presentation style that windows xp had named "classic", the ala old windows style, windows 98, windows 2000?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast