View Poll Results: Did the Tower of Babel exist ?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 43.40%
  • no

16 30.19%
  • Don't know, their is no prove of it.

11 20.75%
  • Abstain

3 5.66%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Tower of Babel, did it exist ?

Default The Tower of Babel, did it exist ?

Did it exist ? Thats the question we all ask.
    Tower of Babel info Read it or just a part and then vote.

Last edited by webMaster412160; June 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Default Re: The Tower of Babel, did it exist ?

100% yes the Biblical Tower of Babel existed.
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

You mean the Biblical version of the Babel tower with the origins of languages etc? no of course it didn't

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Not in biblical meaning...

Some random ziggurat, sure.

Yes, a tower probably did exist that was much taller than any civilization had previously built, but not on the immense scale the Bible describes (something like 1 mile high scholars think?). There probably was a big Ziggurat that was built after a huge flood (many scholars believe the Noah story to be an actual historical flood in Mesopotamia). The tower is, in my mind, undoubtedly real; the story that accompanies it is another thing though.
    Last edited by Tiberius Tosi; June 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

110% Not. No way in Hell they could build a mile high structure back then, espeically not with the inferior materials they had. If you really believe in this, well then you fail at physics and science... The Babel Tower would of cause have been a large building if it existed, but as in the Bible? No, just no.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

herodotus described it as an 8 floors ziggurat, with a temple at the top.. could babylon had a massive ziggurat? yes

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Of course it could, just not as big as the Bible says it was. The historical Babel (assuming it exists) would probably just be a huge ziggurat.

bible and torah exaggerated on sizing for sure... bigger it was, bigger sins Babylon rapresented.. it's a sort of ancient religious propaganda

layers could've been tall 2.5/3 metres each, except the first two

something close to the pic i spoilered

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The bible doesn't say anything about the size of the tower, I don't know where people are getting a mile from.

As whether it existed or not, who knows? There isn't any evidence of it outside of religious texts so I'd lean towards no, but the story might have come from some actual structure involved in some conflict who's story has been mythologized over the ages. I'd say no, but I voted "Don't know".

On a side note, god is a real jerk in the Tower of Babel story. I mean, what the hell? He sees how everyone is cooperating and getting things done so he decides to mess up everyone’s languages to stop people from working together and getting along. That's a real jerk move there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Scratch View Post
    The bible doesn't say anything about the size of the tower, I don't know where people are getting a mile from.

As whether it existed or not, who knows? There isn't any evidence of it outside of religious texts so I'd lean towards no, but the story might have come from some actual structure involved in some conflict who's story has been mythologized over the ages. I'd say no, but I voted "Don't know".

On a side note, god is a real jerk in the Tower of Babel story. I mean, what the hell? He sees how everyone is cooperating and getting things done so he decides to mess up everyone’s languages to stop people from working together and getting along. That's a real jerk move there.
    The Book of Jubilees mentions the tower's height as being 5433 cubits and 2 palms, or nearly 2.5 kilometers (about 1.55 miles).
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

CommonAsWhole's Avatar Foederatus

I'm almost sure it did existed. I think mythology has its roots in legends which have their roots in true historical events (cfr. the biblical flood and the end of the Ice Age when coastal areas flooded).

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Scratch View Post

Well, they were subverting his authority!

P.S. your post html has a crapload of random colour/font changes and was a to shorten
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Probably some Hebrew traveled to Mesopotamia and his stories about "huge towers that reach the heavens" were taken too literally.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Thing is that even if there was a massive structure back then, I don't see any relation with the whole origin of different languages story. It would be just a random explanation for a big building that your grandfather help build. I don't get it. Any ideas?

just a huge ziggurat.. no 2 miles skyscraper or whateva.. bible says a lot of ... jericho's wall reducing to rubble thanks to the magic hand of G W Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    The Book of Jubilees mentions the tower's height as being 5433 cubits and 2 palms, or nearly 2.5 kilometers (about 1.55 miles).
    Jubilees isn't in the bible, but I guess that's where the mile thing is coming from. The bible itself gives no dimensions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcp11 View Post
    Well, they were subverting his authority!

P.S. your post html has a crapload of random colour/font changes and was a to shorten
    They were doing nothing of the sort. Look through Genesis 11, god just didn't want them to work together or accomplish anything great.

Yeah, sorry about the formatting, IE went screwy for a bit there and I had to write it in Word.

Libertus

Given that great engineering and construction feats have been accomplished all throughout the ancient world, I find it hard to beleive an argument that says no way it could have never been done, it was simply immpossible. Ever heard of Circus Maximus? It was a type of racing stadium in ancient Rome that could seat upto 500'000 people. Even in modern engineering we don't get stadiums that big. So if the Romans could make the worlds largest ever foot ball stadium, then I don't see why the Babalyonians couldn't make a big ass tower. Given that all the evidence we do have about it is generally biblical scripture, and given that the various translations of the scriptures haven't been to romanticised over the centuries. It was more then likely an exaggerated story anyway as was typically common for those times, but as the popularist front in this thread has stated. It was more then likely a slightly larger then normal ziggurat or temptle of sorts. So was the tower of babel real? Possibally, did it reach the heavens? Most possibally not I would think. SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins_Elite View Post
    Ever heard of Circus Maximus? It was a type of racing stadium in ancient Rome that could seat upto 500'000 people. Even in modern engineering we don't get stadiums that big. So if the Romans could make the worlds largest ever foot ball stadium, then I don't see why the Babalyonians couldn't make a big ass tower.
    Circus' a chase apart. it's 621m long and 118m large.. u could've contained even 1 million people in there

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I feel it was most likely an allegory. But I can't say for certain if something similar to the Biblical tower was or was not built at some point.

I shall abstain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast