Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limited factions very worrying

Civis

Default Re: Limited factions very worrying

yeah, LordUhtred, I don't think anyone really had a problem with your opinion. It was the way you chose to voice it, (first off, we've had a LOT of threads recently that have covered the same ground, and don't really need another one on the front page) and your tone, which I find inflammatory and disrespectful.

Good riddance. If its consoles you're going back to, then rejoin the legion of screaming XBOX kiddies.

if you were looking to start a DISCUSSION, then by all means, try some proofreading.
    TRIPTYCK
    'Carthago delenda est.'

While you guys are attacking his signature (which is stupid, because its off topic), I can see both sides of this argument.

CA needs to make money, we all know that.

Not including the same amount of playable factions at release as the original Rome did is a step backwards, even if you claim you are giving the new factions "more depth." I've heard that argument for tons of series, the fact of the matter is, games are becoming less challenging and more streamlined for the everyday weekend warrior so that more people will buy it. Is this a good or a bad thing? Depends on if you are a casual gamer who enjoys video games but not necessarily as much as other things, or if video games are one of your primary hobbies.

RTW2 should release with ALL of the original factions in the original RTW, WITH added depth to them. If CA then decides to release DLC factions with added depth later on, that is completely fine in my book, as they are easier content upgrades than expansions and usually cheaper than expansions as well.

I have said before, and I'll say it again: if RTW2 doesn't release with the Seleucid Empire as a playable faction, if no DLC is planned to release it, and if modders aren't allowed to unlock factions to become playable, I will not buy the game. I find the Seleucid Empire to be one of the most enjoyable factions to play, both in the challenges of repelling all of the frontiers in seemingly all directions, and due to being a successor state to Alexander with a rich mingling of Greek and Eastern cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonCM View Post
    While you guys are attacking his signature (which is stupid, because its off topic), I can see both sides of this argument.

CA needs to make money, we all know that.

Not including the same amount of playable factions at release as the original Rome did is a step backwards, even if you claim you are giving the new factions "more depth." I've heard that argument for tons of series, the fact of the matter is, games are becoming less challenging and more streamlined for the everyday weekend warrior so that more people will buy it. Is this a good or a bad thing? Depends on if you are a casual gamer who enjoys video games but not necessarily as much as other things, or if video games are one of your primary hobbies.

RTW2 should release with ALL of the original factions in the original RTW, WITH added depth to them. If CA then decides to release DLC factions with added depth later on, that is completely fine in my book, as they are easier content upgrades than expansions and usually cheaper than expansions as well. The DLC scam is getting so bad that some companies are even developing content that is LOCKED AWAY at release, then they sell a "DLC" that simply unlocks those files.

I have said before, and I'll say it again: if RTW2 doesn't release with the Seleucid Empire as a playable faction, if no DLC is planned to release it, and if modders aren't allowed to unlock factions to become playable, I will not buy the game. I find the Seleucid Empire to be one of the most enjoyable factions to play, both in the challenges of repelling all of the frontiers in seemingly all directions, and due to being a successor state to Alexander with a rich mingling of Greek and Eastern cultures.

Whoaaaa... My bad! I can't edit here (too new on the boards I think) and I clicked quote thinking it was edit out of forum habit. The quoted section is the updated one.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUhtred View Post
    I'm probably going to. If this is the thanks I get for being a ten-year fan they can eat . Also, due to the game being on Steam, I refuse to allow ANYONE to tell me I don't own my own property, I will not be legally aquiring this game.
    I'm pretty sure Steam won't be the only distribution platform. Box sets should still be sold, right?

LordUhtred's Avatar Civis

I'm pretty sure Steam won't be the only distribution platform. Box sets should still be sold, right?
    Thats the most disgusting part, yeah it will be on disc and yeah it will look pretty on my shelf, but you HAVE to register it on Steam which means that regardless of distribution method, once installed you no longer own the game and are playing it at Steams mercy. There is a huge lawsuit kicking off over this because people in America are perfectly happy to get ripped off but the EUs not standing for it.
    Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2, that is all.

Primicerius

That is correct. I read on some gaming site that CA (and most gaming corporations) have no plans to change over to completely digital just yet. People need to realize that if they buy a hard copy of the game you can tell Steam to install it directly from the disc.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

People should just buy a hard copy from their local store or off of Amazon.

LordUhtred's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I don't know. But its just a shame to see apparent fans choosing not buy their companies games.

I just can't see the problem with Steam. I bought Star Wars battlefront 2 for 2.99 last year.
    The great shame is a fans loyalty being horribly betrayed, first when they decide you can't play Total War without Steam, and then by becoming shallow money grabbing EA wanabe's.
    Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2, that is all.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

The great shame is a fans loyalty being horribly betrayed, first when they decide you can't play Total War without Steam, and then by becoming shallow money grabbing EA wanabe's.
    Gotta compete son, or be left behind.

Primicerius

Incorrect. Installation methods aren't the issue, not owning a game I bought is, and that is the case regardless of how you buy the game.
    But this applies to any game. Don't you know that? It's usually stated in the license agreement that the game belongs to its creator. By the way, where does it say on Steam that they own your copy and not you? Have you ever used Steam?
    Last edited by Dan113112; February 12, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Seriously, why all the about Steam? I love it. It's like a bargain bazaar in there, you just need to know where to look. And if you're one of the people who has constant connection issues then get faster internet. We live in 2013 now, not 2003 after all...

Incorrect. Installation methods aren't the issue, not owning a game I bought is, and that is the case regardless of how you buy the game.
    But you do own the copy of the game (or maybe the right to use the copy of the game, I don't know what the legal stuff is exactly) if you have bought it; it just launches through Steam. And since you can install from disk as shown above I fail to see what the problem is.
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; February 12, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia's Finest View Post
    Seriously, why all the about Steam? I love it. It's like a bargain bazaar in there, you just need to know where to look. And if you're one of the people who has constant connection issues then get faster internet. We live in 2013 now, not 2003 after all...
    Not all countries have cheap internet though. Australia comes to mind, with many people forced to buy "data" plans that are incredulous to even think of paying for, yet it is there only option.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Steam is an asset - automatic patches are so handy.

People seem to forget the fiasco that was the Medieval 2 patches.

Everything LordUhtred says is correct and he is clearly a massive long term fan of the Total War series.

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Since this has gone completely of topic I am closing this.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12