View Poll Results: What is your favourite part of Total War games?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The battles

29 18.59%
  • The campaign map management

39 25.00%
  • The diplomacy

2 1.28%
  • The variety in units, factions and eras

20 12.82%
  • The mods

66 42.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite part of Total War games?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default What is your favourite part of Total War games?

What's that makes you enjoy a TW games the most?

- The battles
    - The campaign map management
    - The diplomacy
    - The variety in units, factions and eras
    - The mods
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Bruno_Magno's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: What is your favourite part of Total War games?

Difficult to choose.
    What makes Total War games amasing, is the combination of all these elements. Of course the Battles are the main-core of the game, but without the empire managing and the diplomacy it would be an sterile game. And the variety of units, eras ,and especially the mods, make this game shine even more.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 04, 2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: removed the hyperlink ...

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Adding "The mods" to this makes it a loaded question. I picked The campaign map development, because I really enjoy M2TW campaigns (despite what some people say about other brands like Paradox offering superior campaigns), but I also usually don't play without mods, and they do add a huge amount of enjoyment in terms of depth, immersion and replayability.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Blog Entries

well actually the question is subtle, you can read it as: do you play TW games because you like particularly one of the aspects or just because of mods?

for me it's almost like you; I certainly love mods and they add a lot to the vanilla games, still I found that what made me entagled in the series is the campaign management (and the atmosphere! I remember the old Med1 with its awesome musics on the campaign map, and with that bell ringing far in the wind that always made me travel with my imagination )
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

The mods addition in the poll is false.
    Whe we are talking about the TW games we must talk about the features they do offer.
    Example: Rome I TW was a real revolution in strategy gaming not because of settlemen management, not because of state and diplomacy management (there were games with same features with better performance with TW had) but the revolutionary feature to offer the player a spot inside a battle with thousands warriors fighting for their lives obeying orders, creating formations etc.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 24, 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: removed off topic comments
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

This is actually a poll concerning all Total War games and what your favorite part of it is. If your favorite part is all that is missing in various versions in your opinion then this poll is obviously not for you.

Mods, obviously, has my vote.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 05, 2017 at 08:51 AM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

What I like actually is the 'combo' of all these choices in the poll
    As I can't vote for all, for once, I'll abstain.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Mods are what keep me coming back and usually make the game more playable, i think the only game that I didn't feel the need to mod straight out of the box was Shogun 2.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Mods are great and add loads of extras and durability to the games but are of course not an integral part of the TW games so I didn't pick that one. Diplomacy is one of the weaker points of the TW games in my opinion, quite annoying at times and fairly limited. I think the variety is great but one of the flaws of TWC adding everyone and their mum in terms of factions is that you get a lot of small clone factions, making factions lose their uniqueness.

The battles are a massive part of the TW games of course but I don't enjoy them as much in the newer games as I did in the older ones. In RTW and M2TW they're both fun to play and to watch, in ETW and NTW you were kept busy with the more tactical aspect of the battle, repositioning your units and all that and S2TW's battles were alright I think (definitely liked the feel of a volley of arrows being fired in Shogun). I think I still liked R2TW's battles but that was at least partly because of the units themselves. Holding the enemy with pikes and hoplites and flanking them with those Thracian falx guys still felt pretty cool. I don't care much for Attila's battles, the units are less interesting for me and archers/missiles in general downgraded quite a lot which doesn't make it appealing for someone who likes to bring death from afar. Warhammer's battles are for the few hours I've played the game even more dissapointing, it's basically your blob meeting the enemy's blob and one comes out on top within a few minutes. I haven't gotten around to using elites/artillery/magic yet though so that'll probably improve it a bit. The one thing I do like is how the Reiksguard charge decimates almost any infantry, it feels really epic.

My vote goes to the campaign map, the management itself could still be improved massively but as I am a geography student I like the maps themselves a lot already. Most of the player's time is spent on the campaign map and this is where the greater part of the story is made for me. Of course the battles are weaven into this but most battles are fairly small are very forgetable, only a few every campaign are epic battles which you might remember a bit longer.

Ya good points above, i think if there is one thing that really needs to be overhauled in the next TW it's diplomacy and the faction intrigue stuff.

When you read about history, it seems like 80% percent of it is intrigue and negotiation and 20% is actual battle. TW is the exact opposite.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 24, 2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: removed off topic comment

I don't know which one to choose....
    Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that- in chaos. The world is born from zero. The moment the world becomes one, is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes one hundred. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains, one will eventually grow to one hundred again. - Big Boss

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I choose "The variety in units, factions and eras" is what kept me coming back year after year and will probably be that for the rest of my life.

I like a couple of games in the Total War game series, but picking one game, nah, it's too difficult.

So let say three games and they are - Medieval TW, Rome TW Gold (both the Imperial and the Barbarian campaign), Empire TW.

I had to think hard to make up my mind regarding Empire TW and Napoleon TW because I like both games. But in the end I pick Empire TW due to a larger campaign map with three world theatres.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Like Leonardo, I enjoy the variety in units, factions and eras. (Mods are very important, as well.) My favourite part of TW games is the ability to experiment with history, to see how events could have turned out differently.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Haha I like how nobody's voted for "The Diplomacy". Pretty much what I expected =P

Blog Entries

Given the alternatives I did wonder why it made the list...

Blog Entries

because we are evil

jokes aside, if something isn't going to get even one vote, then that means it needs to be redone.. it could be a good hint for modders and game developers alike

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Given the alternatives I did wonder why it made the list...
    Cos I knew nobody would vote for it and I felt like posting when I suggested it to Flinn =P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    because we are evil

jokes aside, if something isn't going to get even one vote, then that means it needs to be redone.. it could be a good hint for modders and game developers alike
    It's part of the holy grail of modding - we even have a dedicated workshop forum for it, at least for the M2TW engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Cos I knew nobody would vote for it and I felt like posting when I suggested it to Flinn =P
    A plausible reason if I ever heard one.

Such a rough decision between The campaign map management (essentially the economy portion) and the mods.

This is a strategy game and the overview control of your kingdom is a huge attraction to this game.. and it gets you in the door... but what makes you stay and play this game way longer than any other is the ability to mod... I wouldnt play for half as long as i do or started as many campaigns without modding.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 24, 2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: removed off topic comment

Playing a Total War game without using mods of some sort is a very rare thing. Either out of nesscessity or out of choice.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 24, 2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: removed off topic comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast