View Poll Results: Is the Elderscrolls dead now because of an MMO version?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup it's dead, sent to the depths of Oblivion forever.

1 1.54%
  • Nope, more sequels in the future.

64 98.46%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Elder scrolls single player dead?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: Is the Elder scrolls single player dead?

I personally liked Skyrim but was pissed by the magic system (less spell types, no spell creation/spell type crossing, etc.)

The lack of speed difference is annoying, also. I remember being so happy when I could finally chase down and kill level 100 speed Maiq the Liar.

Oblivion kept me occupied for 5 years, Skyrim 2 months. My brother (who got Skyrim Day 1, biggest ES fan for 10 years) even said it got boring fast. Probably because it was almost exactly like Oblivion, while taking away a lot of the fun innovations that Oblivion had.

Once again, I like Skyrim, but for some reason find it impossible to play for an extended period of time like I did with III and IV.

Yeah...I found that too.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I loved Skyrim.

Then again, it was my first real ES game and you may be onto something there.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Zé do Pipo View Post
    I loved Skyrim.

Then again, it was my first real ES game and you may be onto something there.
    He's not. Of the last three TES games Oblivion is the worst, Skyrim is the second best.

TES is about atmosphere, exploration, and immersion, not a certain class system. The class system in TES has always been bad (and has been refining in this very direction for some time). Skyrim is the best in that regard, no more trying not to run or jump so you won't get your (2)5x level bonus, and no more ambling about as an Altmer mage (seriously, play an Altmer mage in Morrowind).

It has absolutely no negative effect on gameplay.
    Last edited by Justice and Mercy; May 08, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

I played Oblivion all through. I played Skyrim. Skyrim's story is the pits. Poorly written, atrocious dialogue, the same voice actor problem Oblivion had (though not to the degree of having less than 6 voice actors in total), and largely unlikeable characters with backstories that are either "tl;dr" or fill me with such an immense apathy that I no longer even see their names on screen anymore so much as just a mishy-moo of letters.

But the game is ing fun.

And having played 3 MMORPGs, I can say this: MMORPGs are horrendous. They are 90% mindless grind, 10% of a game like Oblivion or Skyrim.

Someone on twitter also summed up beautifully the kind of multiplayer experience to be had:

"Elder Scrolls MMO. Boring combat with the added joy of teaming with "Dogfart92" does not sound fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Szlachta View Post
    Yes, it died with the joke that is Skyrim.
    lol, nice sarcasm.

Right?
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    lol, nice sarcasm.

Right?
    This guy is serious, he says he's still waiting for the Elderscrolls 5

Protector Domesticus

I found it a fun game and all but suffered from the same burnout i had playing NV, its different but just not different enough from the previous game, it makes you feel like you are just doing more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    He's not.
    I definitely am. You already admitted you played in linear ways and didn't get everything out of your very short ES experience. Come back when you've used and done everything.

The fact you go on about classes and X5's, pretty much shows your ignorance on the ES series. Definitely not what is missing, and you obviously only ever played Oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    lol, nice sarcasm.

Right?
    Nope. RP and build diversity is a joke in vanilla, and even modded Skyrim. The right mods still haven't come out yet to fix the cut fundamentals. What was supposed to replace attributes and add diversity, really did nothing, in the form of perks. All builds with relative skills feel the exact same because of this. Something that didn't happen in previous games. Spell Creation, the most in depth, and customizable of the crafting systems in the series, could add dozens of new build, build ideas and further customized refinement all by itself. Any build that relied on speed or acrobatics got cut. Unarmed builds got neutered beyond belief to the point that they're non relevant. A spell list that is a joke even compared to Arena. Extra hand holding for the newbs, like auto health regeneration....That's only the beginning.

Mods fix some of this stuff, but it should be vanilla. I'm still waiting on an ES V.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 08, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Skyrim is enjoyable but shallow . I also agree `with the "degradation "issue it is a bit butchered in some parts compared to Oblivion and Morrowind .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; May 08, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Other than magic, every single one his complaints was incorrect.

I played quite a bit of Daggerfall over the last couple of years (after Bethesda released it for free) and I greatly prefer Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

I definitely am. You already admitted you played in linear ways and didn't get everything out of your very short ES experience. Come back when you've used and done everything.

I have said only that I haven't played many mage characters, because I don't like them (the magic system sucks). That hasn't stopped me from completing every major mage-related questline, from Telvanni to the College of Winterhold, because I like to experience TES lore.

The fact you go on about classes and X5's, pretty much shows your ignorance on the ES series. Definitely not what is missing, and you obviously only ever played Oblivion.
    Why would that show that I only ever played Oblivion? It was the system in the two TES games that preceded Skyrim, and I was establishing that dropping the system was an improvement.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Why would that show that I only ever played Oblivion? It was the system in the two TES games that preceded Skyrim, and I was establishing that dropping the system was an improvement.
    The Elderscrolls seem to have a problem with weird skills like Acrobatics which was pretty useless except for giving the player the backflip animation in Oblivion, that was sorta nice but ya overall it was useless.

Protector Domesticus

The Movement Skills just made me run around jumping at things for the sole purpose of gaining exp anyways, broke the immersion somewhat.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Snip
    Wait, wait, wait. You're actually gonna sit there and tell everyone that you're an Elder Scrolls snob? And that no one else is a real fan if they like Skyrim for some obscure reason or another? Just about everyone in this subforum has played the lauded Morrowind. We all know what's changed since Morrowind and it's mostly improvements.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

You know what made me dislike Skyrim?. My fps-shooter likey friend without any rpg experince EVER played Skyrim and he said "It is the best game of my life".

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus of Byzantium View Post
    The Elderscrolls seem to have a problem with weird skills like Acrobatics which was pretty useless except for giving the player the backflip animation in Oblivion, that was sorta nice but ya overall it was useless.
    Guess you don't know anything about acrobatics. Come back when you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    Other than magic, every single one his complaints was incorrect.

I played quite a bit of Daggerfall over the last couple of years (after Bethesda released it for free) and I greatly prefer Skyrim.
    Nope. Guess you've never played an ES before. Come back when you know what they had, newb.

I have said only that I haven't played many mage characters, because I don't like them (the magic system sucks). That hasn't stopped me from completing every major mage-related questline, from Telvanni to the College of Winterhold, because I like to experience TES lore.

We get it, you've never played the games, except Oblivion. Come back when you know what they had, and know you never needed to worry about x5s in Morrowind, or Oblivion. Definitely not the 'missing features', the vets care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. You're actually gonna sit there and tell everyone that you're an Elder Scrolls snob? And that no one else is a real fan if they like Skyrim for some obscure reason or another? Just about everyone in this subforum has played the lauded Morrowind. We all know what's changed since Morrowind and it's mostly improvements.
    Nope, come back when you've played the games. Cutting options and choices is not an improvement. You can like Skyrim, its just more linear and watered down than any other ES. A fact which cant be disputed. If your a graphics whore that likes less, then by all means, love Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    You know what made me dislike Skyrim?. My fps-shooter likey friend without any rpg experince EVER played Skyrim and he said "It is the best game of my life".
    This was pretty much the problem, they made the game for newb twitch unreceptive shooter kids. The types that don't care about options, role playing, or anything. Like some of the kids in this thread...

Cutting fundamental cornerstones of the series is not an improvement, unless your just a graphics whore newb. Come back when you newbs(not you gastovski) know what was and wasn't in the games before Skyrim.

LOL at newbs trying to talk to an ES vet, like they knew what they were talking about. I'll take it half the newbs in this thread would be fine with a game that only had the features they ever used in Skyrim (obviously the only title these newbs ever played) as the only ones ever in an ES.

The ES are dead, Todd and Co. killed it. Then newbs like the ones above, supported it, since they didn't know what was there in the beginning.

The funniest thing is, all of these cut features are all from Oblivion, if we were to list the curt features from Morrowind or Daggerfall to now, it would be 2 pages worth of stuff. That's how I know none of you newbies played any other games except for Skyrim and maybe Oblivion.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 09, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Can you honestly make an argument against somebody without resorting to childish name calling? Because honestly its entirely possible to make the point your trying to make without that, and doing so lessen not only the view of yourself, but the forum as a whole.

And in responce to the OP, no it most certainly is not. Zenimax is doing ESO so i'm inclined to think that Bethesda is working on a single player one still.

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Quote Originally Posted by frozenprince View Post
    Can you honestly make an argument against somebody without resorting to childish name calling? Because honestly its entirely possible to make the point your trying to make without that, and doing so lessen not only the view of yourself, but the forum as a whole.

And in responce to the OP, no it most certainly is not. Zenimax is doing ESO so I'm inclined to think that Bethesda is working on a single player one still.
    Thing is, I don't really care about the newbs. If they don't know what was there before, and cant take my already civil explanations, they're obviously just stubborn newbs who don't know about the ES. Newbs don't know about RPing and RP options. They play in linear ways (if they even play at all) and if they didn't use this or that, then they figure nobody used or wanted to use this or that either. Not my fault these people admittedly didn't get everything out of their games. The vets (only people that matter, or at least should when it comes to making an ES) already know Skyrim is a shell of its former self. They know how there's less mechanics and features than ever. The fact you say this: "its entirely possible to make the point your trying to make without that" makes me think your a vet and agree with me.

ES, where the newbs are fanboy blind defenders, and the vets actually criticize.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 09, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

IMO.....I think one should just throw out their pre-conceived assumptions and wait until the game actually comes out before forming an opinion......positive or negative....

Perfect fully fine to state first impressions though....

Personally.....I don't have a good first impression but I'll wait till I play it before discussing any further....

Much like I strongly dislike the CoD series of games....but I wait till I actually play them before I form an opinion....

But I'm foreseeing the usual early bugs with Betheseda and the bigger pool of players not being so forgiving of them.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast