Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Download?

Default Re: Download?

OK uninstalled everything, reinstalled RTW, installed BI tried to start, said failed to initialise 3d audio. Checked and RTW and BI are installed in Program files not Program filesx86 so I copied the miles folder from Program files to Program filesx86 and this time BI started, screen came up but then closed immediately.

Have not tried installing patch yet since there is clearly an issue with BI 1.4. Must be something to do with normal program files or x86...?

Installed the patch, same issue.

so I copied the miles folder from Program files to Program filesx86
    Why? If RTW and BI are in 'Program Files', and you uninstalled everything before installing again, there should be nothing RTW-related in Program Files x86...

Uninstall everything (optional, but recommended).
    Install RTW (wherever you want).
    Install BI in the same directory as RTW.
    Install patch to the same directory as RTW.
    Start the game using a shortcut that points to the RTW/BI that is in Program Files (if there isn't one, create it).

If you still has problems get RTW to work, you can also post here.

Ok I'll give that a go. When I uninstalled it all there was still stuff in x86 which is weird. You say wherever I want, so it can be program files or program files x86 makes no difference?

No, it makes no difference. You can install outside of either folders too, in a 'Games' folder or wherever else you want. In fact, it's recommended that you install outside Program Files, so that you don't have any problems later with UAC etc. Just make sure all the subsequent installations (BI, patch, mod(s)) are also installed in the same directory you chose for RTW.

Followed all those instructions again and it worked fine. Thanks!

Must say though after all that I was a bit disappointed - in my opinion it's not nearly as good as TATW especially the campaign map. I guess because it is built over RTW, much more basic and lacking in detail.

It depends on your definition of better. True, TATW campaign map looks better regarding the graphics now, but that is entirely expected since TNS was released in 2007. However, TATW campaign is seriously lacking in aspect of accuracy (e.g. Pelennor is huge) and attention to details. Also, feature that M2:TW lost and RTW has is that you can actually see geographical features in the battle map that are on the campaign map (mountains, rivers, sea...) and that is really immersive for a mod like that.

And the evidence that graphics on the R:TW can look more than comparable with the M2:TW:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0#post12357160

And that you can expect in the new version (DoM).

What you are missing is (one of) the best gameplay system(s) for the R:TW ever created, general balance and stability. Give it a chance, ignore “graphical inferiority” for the moment and you will get one of the best gameplay experiences you ever had .

Pretty much what Jagmodo said. You are comparing a 2007 release with a 2012 one, and you only focus on graphics, which are TATW's main feature. I know TNS is dated, but it's by no means 'more basic and lacking in detail', at least gameplay-wise. At any rate, if the old graphics make it unplayable for you, I would ask that you don't give up on FATW as a title and be a little patient for DoM; you can then compare again.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Also, feature that M2:TW lost and RTW has is that you can actually see geographical features in the battle map that are on the campaign map (mountains, rivers, sea...) and that is really immersive for a mod like that.
    To be fair, that's actually not correct. M2TW displays those features as well, although it (vanilla) uses a very intense haze-effect to shroud those offmap areas. Otherwise I couldn't put it better than Jagmodo did.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

TATW is shiny. That's about it. Without the huge collection of outstanding submods, it's not even worth downloading.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    TATW is shiny. That's about it. Without the huge collection of outstanding submods, it's not even worth downloading.
    TATW is more then shiny , its IMO the best mod around in this whole forum. it adds soo much, also a large amount of submods who add , or will add even more epicness to the mod.
    Don't see anything yet which could possibly take on TATW.
    Tho , i really enjoyed FATW TNS but was played out quickly because of the small map.
    I really hope the DOM will be really amazing, then ive more then 1 lotr mod to play >D

putoconcarne's Avatar Foederatus

To be fair though, I think TATW is a very good and pretty polished mod, and it deserves the attention it gets. However, that mod and this one have different goals in mind and may appeal to different people. TATW seems to be more heavily based on the Peter Jackson film adaptations of LOTR and wants to emulate the appeal of those movies, as well as focusing on trying to make in-game battles have the same epic feel as portrayed in the films. On the other hand, FATW seems to aim more for greater accuracy to Tolkien's written works (trying to avoid including material that would be indicative of influence from the movies) while also expanding upon them by being set in an age that was never completely written about. On top of that, one thing I like about FATW is that it makes sure that even the small details like in-game text descriptions, city and road layouts, names, and etc. are consistent to the lore and intricately designed.

It's quite hard to make a good and fair comparison between the two though, especially considering I haven't played either mod for quite some time now. But basically, I think TATW is almost the perfect game (or at least in the real-time strategy/tactics genre) for fans of the LoTR movies, or gamers who have become interested in the Middle-earth universe because of the movies; while FATW is more focused on staying true to the original content, creating an extremely well-polished and immersive campaign, while being more creative by doing all of this in a new and uncharted Age.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sanderman2 View Post
    TATW is more then shiny , its IMO the best mod around in this whole forum. it adds soo much,
    TATW's units are beautiful, as are the custom settlements, and I've huge respect for King Kong and the TATW team for making all this possible.
    But the main difference between TATW and FATW is not the lore-accuracy, it's the gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by putoconcarne
    while FATW is more focused on staying true to the original content, creating an extremely well-polished and immersive campaign, while being more creative by doing all of this in a new and uncharted Age.
    THIS is the important difference!
    Sadly, gameplay wise, TATW is on a level comparable to the very first releases of RTW mods. There's no elaborate building tree, no political system (which admittedly is also still absent in FATW), very limited traits and ancs, and even a basic AoR system is completely absent.
    It does have nice features like the palantíri, the Ring and it forces the AI to not attack their allies. But the first two are just two small boni and do not alter gameplay significantly.

So yeah, for me (vanilla) TATW is only shiny, and a lot of work, time and effort is required to create a mod that gives you a new experience compared to vanilla apart from the graphical aspect (which is what I'm looking for).

However, as you have also said, there are so many outstanding submods, adding whole factions and the features that I really miss in vanilla TATW, created by the community. And this community in turn was created due to TATW's shinyness.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123