Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New DLC : Dragonborn

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: New DLC : Dragonborn

I was level 3 when I went to Solstheim and when I was done with the questline I was level 23
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I play on master, although I use a bound bow (for the most part, until I can craft daedric and or dragonbone) and it is extremely easy. However, I also have maxed conjuration so I use either my tank (Wrathman) or Dremora Lords. So I almost never take actual damage nor are my enemies actually focused on me. I did go in at about lvl 40, though. The only challenge I have actually had was against this one amazing unmarked boss Karstaag. He is very, very powerful. I couldn't even damage him and I was using bow, my dremoras, a follower, and a Riekling follower. I still haven't defeated him.

The whole game is on easy mode with ranged weapons. I think on my next character I will play through as a battlemage or something of the sort.
    I also play with a litany of good and essential mods. Like Morrowloot, which removes the ability to craft high-tier armor and weapons. My character is a vampire (lord) who basically uses nothing besides magic and vampiric abilities.. and shouts. I have three weapons. A Vampiric staff (which I picked up off an insanely powerful ancient vampire lich). A dragonsting sword (a pretty good unenchanted weapon) , which I found on a dragon priest, and Mehrune's Razor.. because why not? I have feeling the reason dragonborn enemies are strong for me is because of the some of the mods I'm using which appropriately level the enemies and/or increase their spawns.

edit/

Also, level 40 is pretty damn strong. How many skills are at or nearing the 100 mark? Do you restrain yourself at all on the (game-breaking) smithing system, or just simply dive right in, hammer some leather strips to a few hide armors, and before you know it you have the ability to craft daedric weapons at any old hilljacks house - provided of course he's got himself a rusty smelter and a forge?

Can you drop a hint to the whereabouts or context we can encounter Karstaag? Is it part of the main quest? Any quest? I'm reluctant to go to a wiki for debriefing, because I'm very much enjoying Solstheim and I don't want to be tempted to spoil myself like I would with a less interesting game.
    Last edited by mike^_^; February 17, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Not many of my skills are actually about the 100 mark other than archery, one handed, conjuration, and sneak (nearing). I don't restrain myself, I just don't power level the smithing often. Bound weapons have been my go to since the beginning of the game. I am also a Vampire Lord and have gotten used to the benefits and restrictions of being one. I actually hardly ever use any of the powers other than the actual Vampire Lord when I want to have a bit of fun.

Karstaag like I said is unmarked, there is a point on the map aptly named, so you should find the connection easy. You have to find his skull first before you can actually summon and fight him, but the fight is well worth it. When you defeat him you get a little goodie as well.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; February 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    Also, level 40 is pretty damn strong. How many skills are at or nearing the 100 mark? Do you restrain yourself at all on the (game-breaking) smithing system, or just simply dive right in, hammer some leather strips to a few hide armors, and before you know it you have the ability to craft daedric weapons at any old hilljacks house - provided of course he's got himself a rusty smelter and a forge?
    Smithing is not broken, or game breaking. It exist so players who don't want to use high end gear can actually stand a chance and enjoy the game. It is why Skyrim has such a variety of armor from old authentic looking armor to classic TES over the top fantasy armor sets. Without smithing and enchanting a pretty Hunting Bow would always suck, and suck forever. hehe

Enchanting is dramatically more game breaking if you view it that way than smithing can ever be. Literally being able ot make yourself do 200%+ or more atk power, or 100% resistances to elemental attacks and magic spells. Literally. Enchanting allows any difficulty to feel like easy mode.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

I don't really care about enchanting. Though you correctly identify that as another broken system. It is less insulting than smithing though. Being able to basically craft weapons and armors worthy of gods by just hammering some leather strips on a hide armor a few (hundred) times, and correctly assigning the perks. It is retarded.

Also, please refrain from explaining to me the design behind rudimentary game elements as if I were a child. That is more insulting than skyrim's smithing system. I want to insult you now, but I won't
    Last edited by mike^_^; February 17, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Enchanting is powerful. Not game-breaking. It's called magic. Powerful wizards keep themselves alive through magical forces for a very very long time in some cases.. It makes sense if your enchanting skill is 100+ to be able to enchant extremely powerful weapons and amulets. It may break the game, but it doesn't break the atmosphere. What does break the atmosphere, and cheapens the powerful items, is the fact that you can sit at some hilljacks smither and craft and improve hundreds of iron daggers, and as long as you assign the perks correctly, you can unlock the secrets and magic of extremely precious ebony and daedric weapons and armor.. That not only kills the balance, it cheapens the whole idea.
    Last edited by mike^_^; February 18, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I liked it but I feel like they could have fleshed out Miraak a bit more. I'd like to know more about him other than HA HA HA I'M GOING TO KILL EVERYTHING - MY NAME IS MIRAAK BTW - AND EVERYTHING WILL PERISH

I personally wouldn't play Skyrim if you want to test your individual skill.

Skyrim's combat system is... to be generous: quite odd, and sometimes very awkward
    The main idea behind the game is to grow with your character and utilize your stats & use them to beat your opponents(in the case of melee characters).

I play Skyrim on Expert and Normal, because I like to RP(meaning sometimes playing in Iron Armor/cloth), and I don't want to instagib everything

I have played on Master... but if I do so, I either:
    A) End up pimping my stats with pots, buffs, perks etc, so that it becomes really easy.
    B) Take on crazy, redicilous tactics, many of which can be considered borderline exploits(like kiting stronger enemies).
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    I liked it but I feel like they could have fleshed out Miraak a bit more. I'd like to know more about him other than HA HA HA I'M GOING TO KILL EVERYTHING - MY NAME IS MIRAAK BTW - AND EVERYTHING WILL PERISH
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yes. The Solstheim backdrop was well designed, but it suffered from an anorexic story line. The Lovecraftian aspects near the end were pretty great, but the Dragonborn vs Dragonborn aspect was horribly underwhelming and it only took two broken up and relatively short periods of gaming to get through both the main quest and the majority of the side content.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

The most fun I had with the game was to skip all crafting all together. No smithing, enchanting, or alchemy.

It makes the battles more fun, keeps the leveling more natural, and makes the rewards much more meaningful.

"Oh I got a legendary artifact forged by the masters of Hell? That's neat I guess but the sword I forged last Tuesday and enchanted with the soul of some drunk hobo is way better anyway. Did I mention I learned to do all this in a few weeks while I was saving the world?"
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

goro's Avatar Tribunus

Well no crafting in master difficulty would make this game living hell.

Quote Originally Posted by goro View Post
    I never craft, enchant, or play with alchemy. I wore the same armor the entire time I played, no upgrading it either (vampire royal armor+ unenchanted vampire boots and gloves). Still VERY easy. Not to mention I didn't even use any actual weapons, I just conjured bound bow and sword.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; February 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

goro's Avatar Tribunus

I never craft, enchant, or play with alchemy. I wore the same armor the entire time I played, no upgrading it either (vampire royal armor+ unenchanted vampire boots and gloves). Still VERY easy. Not to mention I didn't even use any actual weapons, I just conjured bound bow and sword.
    Yeah i forgot to add this.For characters that use magic it is easy.Sneak and conjuration are the most overpowered skills in the game.Try playing a simple warrior build in master with what you mentioned.It's a nightmare.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

"Oh I got a legendary artifact forged by the masters of Hell? That's neat I guess but the sword I forged last Tuesday and enchanted with the soul of some drunk hobo is way better anyway. Did I mention I learned to do all this in a few weeks while I was saving the world from three different threats, destroyed a group of nazi werewolf-haters and became the leader of five different guilds?"
    Fixed
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Yeah i forgot to add this.For characters that use magic it is easy.Sneak and conjuration are the most overpowered skills in the game.Try playing a simple warrior build in master with what you mentioned.It's a nightmare.
    I have. I used to play a Warrior, but I did die a lot more often and bosses and high lvl monsters were actually a challenge.. Still crafting could still be overlooked. You can just live off quest rewards, and what you loot.

The game is really only tough to non-magic, and solo (no followers, conjured tanks), and even then it is very easy if your stuff is enchanted appropriately.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; February 19, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

It's good.....just not 20 dollars good IMO....I say just wait till it's on sale

Dragon Riding was meh as expected(I only bought Dragonborn for the new weapons and region)
    Spears were nice
    New region was ok....certainly not shivering isles....
    Main Quest line was underwhelming...certainly didn't feel very gripping

goro's Avatar Tribunus

I have. I used to play a Warrior, but I did die a lot more often and bosses and high lvl monsters were actually a challenge.. Still crafting could still be overlooked. You can just live off quest rewards, and what you loot.

The game is really only tough to non-magic, and solo (no followers, conjured tanks), and even then it is very easy if your stuff is enchanted appropriately.
    That's the problem.I found that changing the difficulty in an adept save to master after i had an enchanted armor and weapons the game still was easy.The problem with master is the starting levels and managing to get these good armors and weapons.And of course the game is very easy in all difficulties because the ai is stupid and you can exploit it.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I always craft in master difficulty with no trouble, it's not even that time consuming really.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    The most fun I had with the game was to skip all crafting all together. No smithing, enchanting, or alchemy.

It makes the battles more fun, keeps the leveling more natural, and makes the rewards much more meaningful.

"Oh I got a legendary artifact forged by the masters of Hell? That's neat I guess but the sword I forged last Tuesday and enchanted with the soul of some drunk hobo is way better anyway. Did I mention I learned to do all this in a few weeks while I was saving the world?"
    There are mods that make the daedric artifacts and assorted named artifacts more powerful.

Magic and overhaul mods make it less easy to blast opponents so easily.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

There's a mod that makes it so that all Daedric artifacts never use power (i.e. you never need to refill them with soul gems).

goro's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    I always craft in master difficulty with no trouble, it's not even that time consuming really.
    ?i meant that if you don't craft in master the game is very difficult