Thread: A question about Austria, for Players of Victoria Revolutions with VIP

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default A question about Austria, for Players of Victoria Revolutions with VIP

Ok, so.
    I'm playing as Austria. At every opportunity I've been putting those upstart prussians down. I humiliated them at olmutz, and defeated them handily in the Austro-Prussian war (Triggering "The Fall of Prussia" event for them). After this victory, I turned the nation into a dual-monarchy (austria-hungary). A few months later, the franco-prussian war happens. Prussia wins. Germany forms. I don't get the chance to even create the South German Federation or get the opportunity to create a greater austria, annexing the south german states. Germany just annexes bloody everyone despite getting it's ass handed to it by france in the war after getting it's ass handed to it by me a few months prior.

What am I doing wrong, exactly?

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: A question about Austria, for Players of Victoria Revolutions with VIP

when i took prussia out in the war as austria they didnt go to war with france later on :/ like the scripting finished for prussia the minute i beat them....

sounds like a dodgey campaign to me :/

Default Re: A question about Austria, for Players of Victoria Revolutions with VIP

Well when you defeat Prussia in the Austro-Prussian war they are removed from all Alliances.
    Thing is when they beat the French all other german states get the event to accept annexation by the Prussians (as was the historical case) or reject it. They have a roughly 95% chance to accept (unless the event file states specifically what the chance to accept is...usually in a case like that it's a 99 percent chance they will.). Thing is immediately after Prussia becomes Germany the Austrians get the chance to either A. declare war, B. Accept Germany, or C. Grudgingly accept germany (-30 relations). I don't think Austrian victory in this case really does anything. I think my best bet would be to ally with France during the Franco-Prussian war and help them win...which will unfortunately cause france to sieze control of much of Prussia's starting western Rhineland territory and I don't think do much else besides ensure Germany does not form, and consequentially mess up some of the balkan events (such as the balkan league, which stipulates Germany must exist along with the other great powers, rather than merely Prussia, so that they can all decide whether or not to be benign or warn the balkan states to leave things alone. It may also prevent the triggering of the Italian invasion of Libya.

Civitate

What should have happened is that you should've fought France in 1870, not Prussia. Sounds like some dodgy triggers for events, not sure what's going on exactly.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheIsles View Post
    What should have happened is that you should've fought France in 1870, not Prussia. Sounds like some dodgy triggers for events, not sure what's going on exactly.
    Hmm. You know, you're right. When I was taking a peek at the event files I did see those Austria v. France over the french rhineland. When I'm not exhausted I'm going to take another look to see what must happen to trigger the Franco-Austrian war and if necessary add the austro-prussian war version of "The Fall of Prussia" as a trigger.

edit: I found the answer to my problem. There are two events concerning austrian victory in the seven weeks war with Prussia. One is the fall of Prussia: This is a -100 prestige hit to Prussia and breaks their alliances (I think). The other cedes Silesia to Austria and gives them cores, triggers an event for france which sleeps Prussian events concerning forming germany.

However...if austria wins the war without occupying berlin and all of silesia (aka...wins the war via earning say a single province and triggers the fall of prussia which is determined by who wins the war) the franco-prussian war can still happen.