Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: MOS v1.41 Expanded Map & Enhanced Ancillaries for MOS & MOS Expanded Map

Default MOS v1.41 Expanded Map & Enhanced Ancillaries for MOS & MOS Expanded Map

Expanded Map Mod for MOS v1.41

THIS MOD IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED. THE FILES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO PLAY THIS OLDER VERSION OF MOS AND THE EXPANDED MAP.

THE LATEST EDITION OF MOS HAS AN "EXPANDED MAP" ALREADY INCLUDED SO THIS MOD IS NOT NEEDED.

THE LINK FOR THE LATEST RELEASE OF MOS IS HERE: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience.. version 1.6.2 for Third Age 3.2

THE LINK FOR THE LATEST VERSION OF THE MOS ENHANCED ANCILLARIES IS LOCATED HERE: Enhanced Ancillary UIs for MOS 1.62 RK Edition

Here at last. This is my first attempt at modding anything other than a few lines of script. My hope in presenting this is that the player face increased challenges, have an even more of an EPIC Middle Earth experience and to add to the players overall enjoyment of the game that TATW is. I want to thank Hero of the West, and the entire MOS Team for their support of this project. Also want to thank King Kong for re-creating Middle Earth using MTW to do it in. My biggest debt of thanks goes to Il Ducce, who blessed off on my project here. Il Ducce's previous expanded maps kept me playing earlier versions of TATW for a much longer time than I otherwise would have. This current expanded map for MOS is roughly 80% or so based on Il Ducce's previous work. I will leave a rep button for him so if you decide to download this mod add-on, please rep Il Ducce.

There are a few changes I made from previous versions, most of which you will have to play to find out. Some additional thoughts are listed below.

Note: On releases of MOS and the MOS Expanded Map 1.3 and above included with the download is a text file entitled Script Descriptions, please take the time to read it if not print a copy to have on hand as you play. There are so many features included it is difficult to remember them all. That includes myself as well.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Notes on province/settlement names. It is unfortunate that Tolkien did not leave us a fully detailed map of all the settlements of Middle Earth. I have put this map together as Il Ducce also did, knowing that some locations are not exactly where they are supposed to be. For example, the city of Lest should be located just off the Sea of Rhun. However owing to the sheer fact that so much is unknown and will always remain unknown concerning the geography of Middle Earth, some license was taken in order to balance the map and factions as much as possible.

This current map adds a total of 55 new provinces, balance and playability were foremost in my thoughts when creating this map. The only changes to the basic game that I made were to add 1000gp to Dale's Start money, to raise Dale's kings purse by 200gp and to reduce Rhun's kings purse by 200. In every game I played while creating this Rhun always turned into a steam roller, crushing both the Dwarves and Dale very early in the game. So hopefully the above changes will balance gameplay for both the AI and the player. Just to make clear, I don't mind if Dale and the Dwarves are utterly destroyed, I just don't want it to happen in every game or so early in the game.

In the next release, Rhun and Harad will not start the game with any highways. This should also slow down their movement initially across the map as well as force them to build their economies up as well. Also the next release will feature the 4 tier road system which will allow (when built) your armies to move across Middle Earth at a more realistic pace. In combination with MOS 12 turns per year this will make movement rates very comparable to actual movement rates of armies in antiquity and the medieval period.

There is no more room to add any more provinces, there are 198 provinces with one sea province. Currently, the only settlements under possible consideration are to add West Moria (Now Added under rebel Orc control) where the current fort is located, and a possible settlement east of Dol Gulder (No more room currently unless another province is dropped). Of course, if there is a great demand for a province change up by players of this mod than it will certainly be taken into consideration. The final arbiter though of any additional provinces will lay with the MOS Team and of the Team Leader; Hero of the West.
    Notes on installation:
    I have loaded the expanded map into an installer.

PLEASE verify the target of where you are installing it into. It should install directly into the Third_age_3 folder wherever you may have it on your hard drive.

Once installed you MUST run the cleaner.bat

Failure to do the above and you will have a ctd on startup. (Best to run the cleaner).
    +Rep to smitty for catching an error in the road textures. Follow the directions below and the highway textures should finally appear normally.

Changelog:

MOS 1.42 (Future)
    ALL
    factions will have starting "fiefs", all possible fiefs will now be obtainable. (10-15+ total fiefs per faction)
    Many balancing issues fixed

MOS Expanded Map v1.41
    All human factions now have starting fiefdoms
    Many new names added for most human factions and the Dwarves
    Many, many bugs fixed
    Minor improvements made in game play balance

MOS Expanded Map v1.4
    Taro M's Lossarnach units added (Beautiful)
    South Dunland will be made smaller to allow for trade between Lond Angren and Ostirion.
    Updated mercenaries - Ngugi (Very nice!)
    Updated Nazgul script.
    Changed the name of Firienburg to Grimslade (+rep to Highland Kelt for pointing that out.)
    Updated region description for North Lebennin.
    Port added to East Osgiliath.
    New Ancillaries added for all factions.
    Part of the Aragorn Mod by Killic Ali added
    EDU and EDB updated
    New Ancillary UI's will be made available
    Game should be more balanced now
    Many other positive changes I can't remember
    Should be a very enjoyable gameplay experience IMO
    Portions of Killic Ali's RotK Mod added

MOS Expanded Map v1.3
    Ammon Hen unreachable. Fixed
    Most all roads will start at tier 1 (dirt road) as Rhun and Harad still seemed a bit overpowered.
    Will look into hobbits not being able to build gravel roads and the North-South Roads. Fixed
    Barad Wath will have Mordor texture, not Gondor's. Fixed
    Diplomacy and many other fixes that are available.
    Black Numenorien Barracks unavailable (building limit reached). The Black Numenoriens will be recruitable at the 3rd tier barracks in all regions that have "black" as a hidden resource.
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup, 5 missing regions added. Fixed
    All changes to MOS 1.3 standards. Game should be much more stable overall now.
    Landbridge removed near Ramlond and Has Yayb, and ford removed between Erindol and Derwaith
    Many of Taro M's units added as in the basic MOS.
    Hobbits retrainable in Bree
    DCI compatible

MOS Expanded Map v1.25
    All previous fixes included
    West Moria added
    Roads buildable in N. Ithilein Province
    4 Tier Road System included
    North-South & West Roads buildable by Rohan after the Arnor Union event
    Snow no longer falls in Lorien

NOTE: This submod add-on is now comes with the MOS DCI . (I have been wanting to play with this addition myself!)

Be advised that installing this that you may add anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to your turn time, more provinces, more armies = more time per turn. So if your computer is old or incredibly slow than you may not wish to install this mod add-on. But if you don't mind a little wait, then I think it will be worth it.

I will try my best to keep up to date with any MOS related updates. My goal is to be no more than a day or two behind. As others continue to report bugs I will compile everything again with all the fixes, back into a single installer. I will also included all updates from the MOS Team. Please continue with the feedback so that I may be able to make playing this add-on a positive experience.

I want to thank everyone who have downloaded this submod add on to the basic MOS submod. It has been a grand labor to put this together along with all the MOS Team Members, IMO it does nothing but get better with every release. That is in large part due to all the feedback received by players (who get to play more than myself!). I would ask for continued feedback not only on the map but on every aspect of the game so that it can be made that much better in the future in this thread as well as in the main MOS Thread.

Enhanced Ancillaries for MOS and MOS Expanded Map

The first time I saw Kavipannu's TATW thread (located here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=378633 ) on his enhanced ancillaries I was very impressed, with my eyesight not being what it was 20 years ago I found his ui's much easier to see than the vanilla ones. I downloaded both the large and normal size (vanilla ui size is 33 x 41, enhanced normal ui size is 41 x 41, the large size is 64 x 64). They also IMO look very nice, and they are better looking actually in the game then on the web. So having a taste of these new ui's I took it on myself to add to what Kahvipannu had already started and have pretty much redone all the ancillary ui's in the game. If I have missed any please let me know and I will make an update. I want to thank Kavipannu profusely for allowing me to add onto his very good work and ask any who wish to see what they look like to check out the above link and to please give him plenty of rep for his fine work.

If there are any that players feel need to be redone let me know and I'll see what I can do. I will on a limited basis, make other ui's for other mods provided enough details can be found to make a good visual representation of what is desired.

Note on installation of the enhanced ancillaries. I have put them into an installer which will install them into the Third_Age_3/data/ui/ancillaries folder. This applies to both Regular MOS and the Expanded Map version. Best of all it is save game compatible and there is no need to do anything else after installing except to start the game and start playing.

NOTE: I will post a folder that has all potential fiefs broken down by faction using the new (large) ancillaries, as time permits I will do an excel spreadsheet outlining the starting "fiefs" and the settlements needed to obtain the other potential fiefs for each faction for both vanilla and expanded map versions. I did try to keep the fiefs limited to vanilla provinces but this was not entirely possible (mostly to limit the pain I subjected myself to .) SEE POST #3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ancillaries.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; July 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: MOS v1.24 Expanded Map

Here's the possibility to give credit for a great map to Il Ducce

OBS In case you already have given Ducce rep on his own threads OP before [to which above is connected], then use this button instead
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Here are some additional pics. Also included is a folder with all the upcoming "fiefdoms" which should be in the next MOS release. Most will be in the vanilla version of MOS but a few will not be. Also most of the Rohan .tgas are not labeled as fiefdoms as such. If anyone has any thoughts on the images presented or the fiefdoms themselves I am always willing to consider alternatives but after working night and day for the last 1.5 months on the images and the scriptwork testing, etc, it may be awhile before changes are made.

When I get some more time I will post actual ingame screen shots of a few of the fiefdoms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ancillaries large.jpg   Cerin Amroth.jpg   Deep Mirkwood.jpg   Mitheithel.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; July 12, 2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added pics

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

Can I vote for West Moria? If yes then yes.
    Last edited by Bob Doad; July 23, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:

Awesome

Incredible! Finally we have a "full" version of TATW 3 . Though I was kinda hoping someone would finally make Dol Amroth into a castle, as it actually was in Lore (quote "..castle by the sea..").

Good, but what about weather ? Lorien can't be snowy in winter. Gondor too (Tolkien stated that it was like Venice in our world, so no snow).

There actually may be a way to stop it from snowing in Lorien, is there anywhere else in Middle Earth that it should not snow? Any ways, its off to the tutorials I go.......

Edit: Lindwurm, I may be onto something, I need to edit the map_climates .tga and will do some testing. I will post screenshots and make the file available. Damn good idea, I don't know why anyone thought of this before actually. +rep to you for this idea. For now, I will just attempt to make Lorien sunny year round.

I have searched the mod workshop and come up empty handed. If you hear of a way to fix this, let me know and I will do my best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MOS 1.6 LARGE Ancillary UIs.jpg   MOS 1.6 NORMAL Ancillary UIs.jpg   BC Large Ancillary UIs.jpg   BC Medium Ancillary UIs.jpg   BC Normal Ancillary UIs.jpg  

rogues.jpg   merchants.jpg   bishops.jpg   hindu princess.jpg   eastern rogues.jpg  

Last edited by MIKE GOLF; December 10, 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: edit

Yes, the key is this file :\data\world\maps\base\map_climates.tga. As far as I know pink means no-snow region/ And some quotes from Lore about winter :

‘How wide and empty and mournful all this country looks!’ said Frodo. ‘I always imagined that as one journeyed south it got warmer and merrier, until winter was left behind for ever.’ ‘But we have not journeyed far south yet,’ answered Aragorn. ‘It is still winter, and we are far from the sea. Here the world is cold until the sudden spring, and we may yet have snow again. Far away down in the Bay of Belfalas, to which Anduin runs, it is warm and merry, maybe, or would be but for the Enemy. But here we are not above sixty leagues, I guess, south of the Southfarthing away in your Shire, hundreds of long miles yonder. You are looking now south-west across the north plains of the Riddermark, Rohan the land of the Horse-lords. Ere long we shall come to the mouth of the Limlight that runs down from Fangorn to join the Great River. That is the north boundary of Rohan;‘

LoTR, Book II, Chapter 9.

So, Gondor must be snow-free. And only the so-called Fell Winter in the days of Helm of Rohan made Riddermark fully covered with snow.
    Last edited by Lindwurm; July 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

I would like to provide some feedback on the expanded map. First of all, I find it awesome. Secondly, it screws up the Aragorn RPG scripts for Eriador/Arnor.

PS: I apologize for my brief input but I wanted you to know ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindwurm View Post
    Good, but what about weather ? Lorien can't be snowy in winter. Gondor too (Tolkien stated that it was like Venice in our world, so no snow).
    http://veniceblog.typepad.com/photos...ice_22105b.jpg

But I do agree. Snow in certain areas doesn't make too much sense.

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Hey,Mike Golf, i've installed your Expanded Map in my MOS 1.24 version and it is really,really cool! Just one bug i've noticed. I installed the roads patch and deleted the map.rwm file. But all my roads are presented as "legion barracks" frome Rome Total War... Any thought on what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by efhb1994 View Post
    I would like to provide some feedback on the expanded map. First of all, I find it awesome. Secondly, it screws up the Aragorn RPG scripts for Eriador/Arnor.

PS: I apologize for my brief input but I wanted you to know ASAP.
    I addresed this in the main MOS forum but I will address it here as well. I have double checked all the updated Aragorn RPG updates to insure that they were also included and they are. I am not sure what the issue is, but it is being looked into. Have you noticed any other issues that need to get fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kindjal83 View Post
    Hey,Mike Golf, i've installed your Expanded Map in my MOS 1.24 version and it is really,really cool! Just one bug i've noticed. I installed the roads patch and deleted the map.rwm file. But all my roads are presented as "legion barracks" frome Rome Total War... Any thought on what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance
    You did nothing wrong, that is all me. I had inadvertently included material from an upcoming mod. This will be corrected soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails northern_european.jpg   middle_eastern.jpg   mesoamerican.jpg   greek.jpg   eastern_european.jpg  

captain banners.jpg   african.jpg   Balin.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; August 16, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

This is a great addition to keep the mod fresh for me, and I'm really enjoying it so thanks for all the work. I do have a suggestion though, Rhun is still relentlessly grinding down Dale, and Mordor are just steamrolling everything in sight. They have a ridiculous amount of troops, and although they started badly are ripping everyone around them to shreds now. Even though I read you'd adjusted Rhun and Dale moneywise, I think a bit more and something to do with Mordor would be wise, as they are just unstoppable at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Harry View Post
    This is a great addition to keep the mod fresh for me, and I'm really enjoying it so thanks for all the work. I do have a suggestion though, Rhun is still relentlessly grinding down Dale, and Mordor are just steamrolling everything in sight. They have a ridiculous amount of troops, and although they started badly are ripping everyone around them to shreds now. Even though I read you'd adjusted Rhun and Dale moneywise, I think a bit more and something to do with Mordor would be wise, as they are just unstoppable at the moment.
    I am currently working on a 4 tier road system, fixing installation issues with it right now. Once released it should fix a few bugs. In addition Harad and Rhun will not start the game with ANY highways but only have tier 1 and tier 2 roads. Even in the regular MOS the economic and movement bonus a highway provides is large. Hopefully this will correct the steamroller issue. As far as Mordor goes....... "dig your heels in men, we have a fight on our hands!" Thank you for your feedback, I will take a mental note on Mordor though, If others are being crushed by the "black death" then adjustments will be made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Templar CDR Trait.jpg   GM Tempe Ancillary.jpg   Camp Sacked.jpg   Arnor-Eriador old.jpg   Arnor-Eriador new.jpg  

Gondor old.jpg   Gondor new.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; April 02, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Tier 3 roads, the "paved roads", in Dol Amroth are displaying as dirt roads. This is before and even after your roads winrar patch (yes, I deleted map.rwm).

Not sure what to do
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Tier 3 roads, the "paved roads", in Dol Amroth are displaying as dirt roads. This is before and even after your roads winrar patch (yes, I deleted map.rwm).

Not sure what to do
    A fix for that is being worked on, for some reason the new highway road textures are not overwriting the old ones.

I just downloaded and double checked the road textures, they are the correct ones. The only fix for now is to open the Third_Age_3/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads folder. Delete the old highway .tga and .tga.dds files and replace them with the new ones. I hate to apologize yet again, but I do for your inconvenience. I am working with two other team members as I write this in trying to figure out why the files are not overwriting as they should be. And yes, the map.rwm file will have to be deleted again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #banner_symbol_scotland.jpg   Rhovanion Banner 2.jpg   Rhovanion Banner 1.jpg   Rhovanion Banner Early.jpg   Old Forest Road.jpg  

Gundabad after terrain altered.jpg   Fortress of Gundabad.jpg   Cardolan Banner.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; October 28, 2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    The only fix for now is to open the Third_Age_3/data/terrain/aerial_map/roads folder. Delete the old highway .tga and .tga.dds files and replace them with the new ones. I hate to apologize yet again, but I do for your inconvenience. I am working with two other team members as I write this in trying to figure out why the files are not overwriting as they should be. And yes, the map.rwm file will have to be deleted again.
    Just tried this with no success. Deleted old files, put in the new ones, then deleted map.rwm. Dol Amroth is still showing dirt roads at tier 3. Very strange indeed.

Also, no need to apologize, modders do great work and you all do it for free! I've seen too many complainers around here and it's made me sick. I'm just here to bug report and see if anything is progressing with a fix

Edit: Could the fix somehow have anything to do with the vanilla install files? I know every now and then odd vanilla data folders are utilized when the mod folders lack certain info...

Edit: I also just tried copying over the tier 2 highways, the ones with the t, and renamed the copies with the x to take over tier 3. Deleted map.rwm. Nothing changed on the map though
    Last edited by smitty; July 26, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Smitty, If you can, open the highway.tga, highway_t.tga, highway_x.tga textures (they should be) to verify it is actually a stone looking texture. all 6 .tga and .tga.dds files will be needed. I would also run the cleaner. this will get rid of all the .txt.string.bin files. Since these roads are renamed in the export_buildings file, it may be that this is the reason the new textures are not showing up. If you opt to do it manually instead, the file that should be deleted is the export_buildings.txt.strings.bin located in the Third_Age_3/data/text folder and also your map.rwm which it sounds like you are a veteran of by this stage. I truly hope this helps. I am rather backlogged and trying to catch up. The MOS team are doing their best to keep the game exciting and fixing bugs, it is an effort to keep everything up to date. Thanks for your understanding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rhvanion Army, city and symbol.jpg   Rhovanion strat map banners.jpg   Rhovanion strat map banners 2.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; October 31, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    Smitty, If you can, open the highway.tga, highway_t.tga, highway_x.tga textures (they should be) to verify it is actually a stone looking texture. all 6 .tga and .tga.dds files will be needed. I would also run the cleaner. this will get rid of all the .txt.string.bin files. Since these roads are renamed in the export_buildings file, it may be that this is the reason the new textures are not showing up. If you opt to do it manually instead, the file that should be deleted is the export_buildings.txt.strings.bin located in the Third_Age_3/data/text folder and also your map.rwm which it sounds like you are a veteran of by this stage. I truly hope this helps. I am rather backlogged and trying to catch up. The MOS team are doing their best to keep the game exciting and fixing bugs, it is an effort to keep everything up to date. Thanks for your understanding.
    Yes, I opened with Gimp and they're all stone.

HOWEVER! I just realized all of your road names are as "highway" and "highway_x" etc. Now, the default folder has everything listed as "road_highway" and "road_highway_x" etc. I opened those road_highway tgas and they're all dirt. I'm going to test renaming your highway textures to road_highway and see what occurs...

Edit: SUCCESS!!! The discrepancy is in the texture file names. They all need to be renamed with "road_" as a prefix. I'll upload my working renamed files. I removed all of the previous "highway" entries to see if the game worked (wasn't sure if they were used or referenced in anyway) and the game ran fine with no CTD.

I'm attaching the renamed files for anybody who wants a quick fix. Just unzip, run cleaner, then run game

One more question for Mike Golf though, is the North-South and West Road minimod not a part of the default EMM install? I thought it was, but am not seeing any options to build them in the Minas Tirith building browser.
    Last edited by smitty; July 26, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast