Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Kaunitz Project [moved over to NTW engine!]

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Default Re: The "Kaunitz Project" for vanilla-ETW [test version already available!]

HEY KAUNITZ

Just to let you know my new thread is here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=487090

That's all I wanted to say

Default Re: The "Kaunitz Project" for vanilla-ETW [test version already available!]

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    Hit the ground/disintergrated? (honest suggestion, I'm not taking the mick)
    Logic would suggest that as the dispersion pattern would have no concpet of up or down, left or right then a percentage of the balls would fly in every possible direction. So, yes some would certainly head groundwards, some would head skywards, and some would fly off the left or right, and every possible angle inbetween.

All we know at the moment is that 75% supposedly flew down range in a reasonably straight line for at least 300 yardsand apparently at much as 800 yards. Although depending on whose tests one believes only 5%-30% of them actually hit anything when they arrived. But as all the tests start at 300 yards from the gun we have no data on how far and in what direction the other 25% of the balls travelled, whether those that flew high eventually returned to earth further downrange and hit something, or at what point down range the widest dispersion damage was achieved from the balls that flew to the left or right.

I would think that larger arty pieces would fire more like buck shot. It would have a tighter pattern and would be devastating up to 3/4 of its max range. I think if this topic gets to involved it will become a nightmare that will always be a headache as we will probably never truly know the exact ballistics of the arty as every country used different sized and types of shot. I have seen live fire exercises with 12lb Napoleon at Fort Stevens, it was a civil war era gun that shot effective canister up to 500 yards on a 50 yard wide paper target representing an enemy platoon. At least in the test all balls that hit the target were within 30 yards of each other. Also at close range of around 50 yards canister went through six gel targets before stopping in the seventh.

That would make sense, as at 500 yards most of the peripheral shot would have dropped due to their lower velocity, so the balls that left the barrel on the most direct path will naturally carry the farthest. BTW: The composition of canister is pretty clearly recorded and we know how it was packaged into charges so the issue is not really about the nature of canister itself, merely how it dispersed when it left the barrel. And end there it seems that most records agree on the dispersion of the main discharge at 300 yards or more down range, its just the first 300 yards that seem to remain a mystery, which is odd seeing as canister was rarely used beyond this range anyway.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Sorry but, is the multiplayer_version download link broken ?
    File not found, you will be redirected to http://www.gamefront.com

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    That would make sense, as at 500 yards most of the peripheral shot would have dropped due to their lower velocity, so the balls that left the barrel on the most direct path will naturally carry the farthest. BTW: The composition of canister is pretty clearly recorded and we know how it was packaged into charges so the issue is not really about the nature of canister itself, merely how it dispersed when it left the barrel. And end there it seems that most records agree on the dispersion of the main discharge at 300 yards or more down range, its just the first 300 yards that seem to remain a mystery, which is odd seeing as canister was rarely used beyond this range anyway.
    Sure, I think the biggest difference with arty was the same as the infantry. The Black Powder used by all the countries was very different. It is known that Russian BP was horrible with alot of miss fire happening. They used very poor saltpeder.

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

Hi everyone! I’m back.

I’ve made up my mind that it is by far too time-consuming for me to implement the NPI and 7YW unit packs into the next version. So, unfortunately, I have to revert to the vanilla units and concentrate my efforts on battle mechanics and minor aesthetical improvements. After I’ve got all the mechanics right, and in case I still have interest in the game, I will occupy myself with the unit models and skins. If anyone is interested in helping me with the units, I’d be very thankful.

With this alleviation, or rather omission, I hope I will be able to release the next version in November. The main improvements don’t come as a surprise for anyone who is following the thread: only 3 ranks will able to fire (more of a fix than an improvement), better representation of bayonet charges, complete artillery overhaul (thanks to all the participants in the discussion!), no square formation anymore/ reworked infantry-cavalry engagements, howitzers. Plus there will be some “aesthetical”/immersion improvements (no crouching officers anymore, changed some ui-colours, sounds, new radar map icons, new “cohesion”-labels for the units’ fatigue status, changed chevron-design to fit their role as “combat fatigue indicators”, no kaboom-canonball-impacts,…).

The big three pending issues remain 1) the unit models/skins, which are linked to 2) a bigger faction and unit variety; and 3) the videos (frontend & intro).

@wangrin

The banner shown by you looks like a “Ordinairfahne” of the 1745-type as it bears the initials FC IM (Franciscus corregens, imperator) and the emblem of Tuscany-Lorraine, refering to Francis I. But then it should have a yellow, not a white field (the white Leibfahne is supposed to show a madonna immaculata - i.e. without the Jesus baby - not the imperial eagle – I don’t know why the kronoskaf article gives the reverse side of the banner the eagle…). I’d rather go for the last banner shown on the kronoskaf site (the yellow one). Statistically, we'd see more of these yellow banners than white banners: http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.p...fantry_Colours Anyway, both versions on the kronoskaf page are better than the banner with Josephs’ II initials on it, which is in use in the mod right now. But it’s a very tiny issue, really.

I will send you a PM with Shuvalovs howitzers in the course of this week! As for the download-link, it seems as if gamefront deletes the link once it hasn’t been downloaded for some time. I will set up a new link this week.
    Last edited by Kaunitz; October 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Patrician Artifex

Thank you very much Kaunitz

I prefer to use Leibfahne (or "drapeau colonel"), it's the lesser evil since it's not possible to assign different flags depending of unit. I sometime hate CA...
    But what flag do you prefer : Leibfahne or Ordinairfahne ?
    If I have a good model, it should not be a very long work to create it.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

I sometime hate CA...
    Me2... the Flags were one of the biggest dissapointments to me :/.

Just some short good news: I got the videos to work. I "took over" the whole movies.pack - file, replaced the frontend and gameintro-videos with my own videos, repacked the whole thing as movie-type and called it "movies.pack". I backed up the original movie-file. So now all the glorious names of honour will show up in the main menu. And I feel like creating a new intro video this evening, soaked with 18th century spirit.

The problem with this method is that players would have to do some manual work (backing up the original file, copying the new movies.pack into thedata-folder...). Perhaps it can be overcome by means of an installer?

@ wangrin: In the Habsburg army, the first bataillon of a regiment would carry a Leibfahne (the white one) and an Ordinairfahne (the yellow one, maybe sometimes still red, judging from the paintings), whereas the second bataillon of a regiment would carry two Ordinairfahnen. There isn't really a difference in the design of the colours between different regiments. There are only some minor differences for hungarian as opposed to german regiments that I will have to look up.

PS: I renamed the faction "Austria" to "House of Habsburg", and, likewise "Prussia" to "House of Hohenzollern"
    Last edited by Kaunitz; October 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Sweet buddy I cannot wait to get some more battles in with ur mod.

Patrician Artifex

Can you update download link, please ?
    Those is the first thread are dead

I'm currently uploading, wangrin, sorry for the delay. I hope the version is the same as the one previously linked in the first post. The file has been changed the last time on 16.9., so I guess it should be. If there are any troubles, both players should redownload this new "old" version.

Are you going to have some online-matches or do you want to help me with the units?

I will send you the Shuvalov howitzers this evening.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Patrician Artifex

I want to try some LAN matches with my brother (I'm an extremely bad loser and I avoid carefully real on line battle...).
    I will probably try to add some of my units too.

Allright, it took ages but it's ready now:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20883958/kaunitzmp3.7z
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Patrician Artifex

Thank you very much

Because the latest Nvidia driver didn’t crash my ETW as the previous ones did, and because I’ve now replaced gamecam with fraps, I’m able to record videos again! Here is just a very short one showing some unit cards in action. The grenadiers (perfect cohesion) advance against “very low cohesion” line infantry, suffering a bit too few casualties on their advance, and finally deliver a general discharge followed by a loud huzzah and a dash forward! J To be honest I hardly find myself going for the bayonet charge without firing at all, even now that bayonet charges work better than in previous versions. When you advance in perfect cohesion against an enemy with low cohesion, you just know that your volley is going to rout him – stupid AI doesn’t know how to keep its fire. There is no need for melee in such a situation…

Hopefully I can put up a video of a bayonet charge tomorrow.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Sweet buddy, vid looks great as do the unit cards. When will the mod be ready? Am looking forward to a battle with you.

I'd say mid-November because I don't want to hurry. But there are a lot of things that I cannot test against the AI, which always "exhausts" its troops, so if you like, we can conduct some battles earlier! The only problem is that my internet connection is a bit weird these days. This should change in January when I'm moving. Perhaps, for November and December, you can find a second wargame buff in the same time zone with a good connection?
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

I got some buddies very interested. so let me know