Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

can you somehow make baldwin have fewn movements points and give him a trait that shows he' sick?

Jerusalem has a dedicated Templar building tree. Does it make sense to be able to build the other "generic" Templar tree in Jerusalem as well? You end up with two Templar chapter houses in the same city. I'm debating restricting the "generic" tree so it can't be built in Jerusalem.

"can you somehow make baldwin have fewn movements points and give him a trait that shows he' sick?"

Yes, in export_descr_character_traits.txt, then give him the trait in descr_strat.txt.

I asked this before, but I didn't get a conclusive answer. Can you people build ports in Saqsin? Is it just my files that are screwed up? Before getting Geomod and learning how to use it, I'd rather find out if I can solve the issue simply by reinstalling or by getting a new regions file.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to add the Muslim faction units from BC, to the turkish faction, egyptian faction, and moorish faction in the main medieval 2 game?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424751

You'll have to unpack the game first.

You're better off playing Stainless Steel than Medieval 2.

Why are Anatolikoi Hillmen (aor anatolian axmen), Kurdish Swordsmen (aux arab swordsmen) and Vishap Warriors (aor armenian swordsmen) in descr_mercenaries? file? They are AOR, they are not in the mercenary section and they don't have a mercenary_unit tag. Saracen Swordsmen (generic me swordsmen) are not in the mercenary section either, but they do have mercenary_unit.

Why do mercenaries cost more in some areas than in others? Because they are scarcer in non-native lands?

koj knights secular mercs had { islam orthodox } as ownership in descr_mercenaries. Surely they shouldn't be available to the Muslim factions and the brackets should be { orthodox catholic } .

Why do Sokhumi_Region and Trabzan_Region have the mtrade hidden_resource?

Why does Ghor_Region have both slavemarket2 and slavemarket3?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I can't answer questions concerning recruitment system, because I'm not its author. [EDIT: Although I did change something in descr_mercenaries, but I don't remember what was the file's original state].

Knights can surely be available as mercenaries to Muslim factions, because Western companies were indeed serving in Muslim armies.

I can't answer why those regions have those features, because my installation is modified. As for slavemarkets, that could me a mistake. As for mtrade - why it shouldn't be there?
    Last edited by wudang_clown; February 26, 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Because it means Mediterranean Trade. Did ships come all the way there from the Mediterranean?

Ok, but the KOJ should also be able to recruit the Mercenary Latin Knights, no?

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Two questions:

1. How can I enable the units in custom battles again ? I saw it somewhere posted, but canīt find it anywhere now.

2. I get CTDs every few turn now. Playing as Ghorid and itīs quite annoying. Any ideas whats happening ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Marvzilla; February 26, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Because it means Mediterranean Trade. Did ships come all the way there from the Mediterranean?
    The only problem with it is that the structure description does not relate to its purpose. That should be a trade post on a sea trade route. In reality merchants from Europe and the Middle East would come to a Pontic port to make money.
    Ok, but the KOJ should also be able to recruit the Mercenary Latin Knights, no?
    In terms of realism? Most likely - yes. However, that wouldn't make much of a change for KoJ, I think.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Why do the Mongols suck so bad? In all my campaigns I have never seen them get past Merv. I know it might be a touchy subject, but I want to discuss it. The Third and Fourth Crusade, the Rise of Saladin, the Rise of Baibars, are all recreated yet the Mongol invasion something that had a much larger impact on the area the map covers is almost dismissed with barely any scripting. Is there a reason for this and will it be changed in 3.0?

For the same reasons that the Mongols suck in SS: poor AI and horsearchers are crap in auto-resolve.

Thanks, wudang. I was wondering if it was just a representation.

"How can I enable the units in custom battles again ? I saw it somewhere posted, but canīt find it anywhere now"

Delete no_custom from every unit that has it in the EDU.

"I get CTDs every few turn now. Playing as Ghorid and itīs quite annoying. Any ideas whats happening ?"

I know what's happening: you are not posting in the proper place with the proper information.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

For the same reasons that the Mongols suck in SS: poor AI and horsearchers are crap in auto-resolve.

Thanks, wudang. I was wondering if it was just a representation.

"How can I enable the units in custom battles again ? I saw it somewhere posted, but canīt find it anywhere now"

Delete no_custom from every unit that has it in the EDU.

"I get CTDs every few turn now. Playing as Ghorid and itīs quite annoying. Any ideas whats happening ?"

I know what's happening: you are not posting in the proper place with the proper information.
    I already solved the first problem. Will post in the tech forum, sorry about that.

I noticed that the Mongols aren't automatically at war with the Khwarezmians when they appear. Setting them at war would speed up their attack.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

One thing that could be added to BC would be the mission system in Stainless Steel. For example, missions given to destroy a specific army or commander in battle. Also the financial reward system from winning battles.
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Weren't those in the Teutonic campaign of Vanilla M2?

Artifex

Some impressions,

Broken Crescent suffers from some severe pathfinding issues in settlements, seemingly more than for example Call of Warhammer or Stainless Steel. Germanicu5 made some changes to the settlement pathfinding files I think did the trick (in Stainless Steel and Third Age), maybe your team can do the same or borrow those? In my opinion units get stuck too much at ladders, towers and gates (unable to pass through properly due to low numbers allowed on ladders and in corridors in battle_config file) but maybe that is intentional?

Something partially related to this is the low damage of artillery. If the ai could punch some holes in the wall it would make it much more dangerous to defend settlements than now when catapults hardly make a dent. As a player, it is just annoying but not really challenging to be restricted to attacking city gates point blank (after luring away the defenders) instead of smashing the walls. Shouldn't the artillery bombardment in siege battles represent months of preparatory bombardment before you storm the walls? Especially when one turn is six months? When it comes to availability, artillery is very common compared to what one might expect with regard to how rare it was historically (I know you are historically inspired and not totally historical but still maybe worth toning down the availability a bit ).

Optional more dirt, snow and blood textures?

Adding officers for the generals bodyguards can help their survivability, especially when plunging into infantry formations.

Rusnmat's RBBR submod is worth looking into I think. Defence values are still Broken Crescent:ly high and battles take longer than in most other mods but the different units behave more sensibly (such as less all-time spearmen supremacy).

Why do the daylami infantry use axes in melee and still shield wall? Shouldn't they use their spears for stabbing instead? An axe seems very unsuitable for such a formation.

And yes, the mongol invasion is a pitiful joke. Sadly. I second the idea of starting them at war with some factions to point them in the right direction. Maybe giving them Tibet from the start would help? Then they are not a horde from the start and might be more like a normal invading ai faction rather than just walking around?
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    If the ai could punch some holes in the wall it would make it much more dangerous to defend settlements than now when catapults hardly make a dent. As a player, it is just annoying but not really challenging to be restricted to attacking city gates point blank (after luring away the defenders) instead of smashing the walls. Shouldn't the artillery bombardment in siege battles represent months of preparatory bombardment before you storm the walls?
    Fortified cities were seldom stormed that way. The effect of medieval siege engies is grossly exaggerated in both vanilla game and most mods. Usually, settlements with noteworthy defensive walls had to be starved out because a frontal assault would have been too costly, if not futile, siege engines or not. A more realistic way to represent this in the game would be to increase the attrition per turn in besieged settlements (is that value moddable?).

Oh and I think you can already use Germanicu5' pathfinding improvements because BC only uses vanilla settlements. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"To achieve everything that is possible, we must try to do the impossible." (H. Hesse)

Artifex

Everyone knows that! The issue is not a question of historical relevance but how artillery is working in this mod. What alternatives are there to have siege engines that can allow you to get inside effectively (=unhistorical, for the sake of discussion) if this game is going to work? The ai will never be able to know that it should not storm walls no matter how well equipped, and I wonder how playable a mod without siege engines would really be from a human perspective too.

If you have a suggestion of what to actually do with the games siege engines I would be very interested to hear it. If you are arguing for keeping the present state of artillery where a catapult is unable to bring down even one section of the lowest stone wall I did not quite catch it.

In that case (=if you don't want a siege artillery company to be able to break down a wall) why have them being able to damage buildings at all? That just confuses player and ai alike and makes them waste time on something that has no chance of working. And if siege artillery is to be added, then it will inevitably be in an unhistorical fashion since all battles play out during part of a day and such a day battle is the only way to represent a sometimes lengthy assault on a city or castle. Bombardment of the walls will always end up as a kind of allegory or metaphorical way of showing real bombardment. Given the time limit of battles and the less entertaining (read: repetitive as hell) thing that watching catapults hitting a wall is, it is best done as quickly as possible.

As for settlements being hard to storm, setllements with "noteworthy defensive walls" are well represented by fortresses and citadels which are extremely unattractive to storm even with lots of artillery due to the multiple walls.

Yes, the pathfinding files should be possible to paste without any fuss. I've done so but haven't tried a siege battle yet.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    If you have a suggestion of what to actually do with the games siege engines I would be very interested to hear it.
    I think siege engines should be much more expensive to "recruit" and also very costly to maintain. Then maybe we could partly give them back their vanilla effectiveness. But that might screw up the AI behaviour because it always tries to recruit the most expensive units, doesn't it?

It's propably not moddable, but a better way would be to make catapults like rams and siege towers, buildable only during siege, and they could cost so many construction points that it takes more than one turn to prepare for the assault.

To make the "artillery phase" less boring, how about less ammo but more damage per shot -> choose a wall, fire three times, bombardement over?

Oh and what about yourself, how would you try to solve the problem?

cheers

"To achieve everything that is possible, we must try to do the impossible." (H. Hesse)