Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: BC 2.4 Faction Roster Preview: The Imamate of Yemen

Default Re: BC 2.4 Faction Roster Preview: The Imamate of Yemen

I have to say I have never heard of the Malikate of Mazandaran. And a web search turned up nothing beyond the fact that Mazandaran is a region on the Caspian Sea. Part of my girlfriend's family is from nearby (Rasht) and I have never heard about any epic kingdoms from this area during the Middle Ages. Perhaps someone can enlighten me? I do know in the current version of BC, that area of the map is kind of a rebel dead zone. I presume the main reason for this faction is it fills up this dead zone of the map.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by brapollo View Post
    Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
    They are a Persian Shia dynasty.

I read about the area for an idea a while back -- info here. I lobbied the team to choose a different city for the capitol in that region and base the Hashishin there (historically accurate at Alamut). The idea was to have a tiny Shia faction, with a weak/limited roster and punishingly limited military recruitment/aor to create a kind of unique gameplay experience, where your greatest strength was subterfuge.

And here is a post about a more detailed account of the city and dynasty. Your first mistake was using google instead of searching TWC.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

It's "mamlakate", not "malikate".

It's not epic, but neither were crusader states in the period. No, it's not there just to fill some rebel hiatus.

You can read about it here: ĀL-E BĀVAND.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    It's "mamlakate", not "malikate".

It's not epic, but neither were crusader states in the period. No, it's not there just to fill some rebel hiatus.

You can read about it here: ĀL-E BĀVAND.

Thanks for the info! I didn't connect the Bavandids with the title of the faction. That certainly seems like a worthy addition to the mod. Once again, the superior knowledge of the BC crew impresses me.

Cilician Pirate's Avatar Libertus

Excellent preview guys, the new units look amazing! Can't wait for the 2.4 release.

Quote Originally Posted by brapollo View Post
    Once again, the superior knowledge of the BC crew impresses me.
    You're too kind.

there seem to be alot of seljuk successor kingdoms in the new version. My main concern is that they will be too similar to one another... generic ghulam spammers basically

If you take a look at armies at any time - what kind of diversity can you see?

Armies of different states were and are composed of units which serve the same purposes, but members of which have just different uniforms, equipment and training. All the rest is the same: doctrine, strategy, tactics.

How can we really pretend that all armies of our factions were different? How many different horse archers can we produce, for example? Only one, but with different appearance and different stats maybe, but although appearance could be more that a bit different, the stats can not. Besides, even if we only take appearance into consideration, let it be appearance of medium horse archer, then how many amours can we produce? Leather scale, metal scale, chainmail. Plate armour, or maybe kevlar armour, too?

Yes, most of Islamic faction will have ghulams, because that's how it was. We would like those ghulams to be different for each faction, and most of them, if not all, will be. The same for other formations. But we will not try to make up armies that didn't exist and make up units just for sake of diversity.

the persian style faction looks interesting... will it have units similar in style to the sassanids? Perhaps some grivnavpar

It's tempting, but I don't know, we haven't discussed that yet.

There was plenty of diversity in the weapons and armor of the time -- reflected well in BC already I must say. One need not invent things or turn to fantastical styles.... just a little spreading out of the types and tactics used. If one area was slightly better known for one thing or there is at least one historical account/painting/mosaic/sculpture depicting some armor or weapon from one area then that can be used for that faction which resides there, and not so much for others.

Logic can play into it as well for gameplay purposes and faction diversity (faction diversity = better game). A Seljuk splinter faction bordering the Khwarezm might have heavier armor than those further west, due to easier trade between their people, captured equipment, etc. but mostly due to a broader influence, which was a historical truth across the board. Seljuk factions further west fielded lighter armies well into the time frame.

Auxor's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for answering the question on the number of factions BC team, is it possible to actually see a screenshot of any of these factions (primarily Yemen) on the campaign map? i.e. just to see what their lands look like with them on it, what their banners are like ingame and to see what sort of influence they'd have on a game.
    And when he reaches the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, "Just one more soldier reporting for duty, i've served my time in hell"

Everything you want is here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=343980

Just click the map bar to open those spoiler images.

Auxor's Avatar Libertus

I meant ingame ones showing the factions in their respective starting positions, of course it is a bit of a large request considering that you probably haven't finished all of the strat models and stuff.
    And when he reaches the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, "Just one more soldier reporting for duty, i've served my time in hell"

Quote Originally Posted by Auxor View Post
    I meant ingame ones showing the factions in their respective starting positions, of course it is a bit of a large request considering that you probably haven't finished all of the strat models and stuff.
    you'll see soon

Xaintrailles's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    Yes, we are thinking, but making custom settlements is a lot of work.
    That would be amazing !!
    I'm really dreaming about an epic siege-battle in the narrow streets of the wonderful city of Sanaa...
    Or great Zabid's buildings !
    Is there any chance ... ?

AAaand thanks so much for that outstanding work, such a pleasure to play & to learn with BC !!!

you said 2.4 is near but come on! i can't wait haha,i feel like its gonna be released this Friday or Saturday or even Sunday (well just my crazy expectations).

Quote Originally Posted by hameem123 View Post
    you said 2.4 is near but come on! i can't wait haha,i feel like its gonna be released this Friday or Saturday or even Sunday (well just my crazy expectations).
    --

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by hameem123 View Post
    somewhere between 15-30 of setpember they will relelase it.

cebecibasi41's Avatar Tiro

Nice units Good luck BC team.
    OTTOMAN : FTLOS MOD PROJECT Coo-Leader Of Ottoman Mod