Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    Hi,
    which is the difference between Ghulams (Ghilman) and Mamluks (Mamalik)?
    Thanks
    The Mamluks were the dynasty which succeeded the Ayyubids in Egypt in 1250. They seem to be quite a militaristic group of rulers, and ruled over Egypt at the time the Franks were finally expelled from the mainland of the Holy Land (Hillenbrand 1999, 26-29). Ghilman (from the little, questionable stuff I can find on them i.e. wikipedia) seem to be a specific group/unit of soldiers.

Before the time of the Mamluk rulers though, the terms appear to mean the same thing, referring to slave-soldiers. ("Mamluk also translates ghulam, the term with the same significance, used more frequently in the Eastern Islamic world" - from the Introduction to the translation of The Chronicle of Ibn al-Athir, part 1, trans. D.s. Richards)
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As far as memory serves Ghulams were captured Turks, who then served the Caliphs...but after murdering three Caliphs- the Mamlukes on the other hand were enslaved children trained and educated as soldiers/ bodyguards. Something on those lines

Ok, I've got to ask this, and I haven't been able to find an answer to it on the web, and feel too stupid/cheeky to ask a lecturer about it.

Is it considered plagiarism to quote a quote that you read in a book, and to copy the reference for it? Ie, I'm reading a book about the Byzantines, and one of the ancient sources mentions Arabs raiding Palaestina Prima, with a reference and all - fantastic! Practical me sees this as a perfect thing to use, and it gives me an ancient source to complement my list of sources....but is it alright to do this? I feel like just lifting the quote and reference is almost like plagiarism, even though at the same time, it seems perfectly normal and alright to do.

Sorry if this seems mundane, just something I'm a bit fogggy on and have a nagging voice telling me I'm not supposed to do.

As long as you acknowledge where you got the quote from it is fine, you could say in the book "Title" by the Byzantine historian, the historian '?? name' says "???????" REFERENCE! If that makes sense? As long as the quote is relevant and properly referenced there isn't a problem.

"Parroting and plagiarism
    One reason to avoid using lengthy and too-frequent translations is that this can
    easily lead to parroting and even plagiarism. Parroting means simply
    regurgitating study material, word for word, without really understanding it.
    When you parrot, you are not fitting relevant ideas together into an argument that
    focuses on the topic you have been assigned. Sometimes when students do this
    they also forget to acknowledge their sources. They do not realise themselves that
    they are quoting, or paraphrasing, so they do not give references. Technically,
    this constitutes plagiarism.
    Plagiarism is reproducing in your assignments, word for word or in very close
    paraphrase, work other than your own, without acknowledging it. Tutors realise
    that students sometimes stray into plagiarism without meaning to, often from
    inexperience. The key to avoiding plagiarism is – when not quoting directly from
    a source that you acknowledge in your work – to try and put ideas in your own
    words, no matter how difficult it may seem. " Taken from an OU student handbook

So just to clarify, this would be alright?

Let's say that in Bob's book about the Byzantines, he quotes John the Greek talking Arab raids, and gives the reference.

In my essay, I write about how John talks about these Arab raids, and then use the reference given by Bob to reference it...in other words, I ignore Bob completely.

I'm not quoting an entire paragraph - at most, a couple of sentences, and oftentimes I'm just writing about it in my own words but then popping the reference on the end of the sentence, or wherever relevant. That's fine to do, isn't it?

You can put a reference within a reference. So you could do "*John's reference*, cited in *Bob's reference*"
    For example, in a recent history essay one of my references was:

The Dialogue concerning the Exchequer, trans. E.F. Henderson, Select Historical Documents of the Middle Ages (London: George Bells & Sons, 1986), cited here from The Avalon Project. Documents in Law History and Diplomacy [http://avalon.law.yale.edu/medieval/excheq.asp, accessed 14 January 2013].

Or if John's book is easily available so you could legitimately have accessed it, you can just put that reference and if asked say you pulled it from the book.

Yes, it's best to write in your own words but use a direct quote when the other author has written it in a way that can't be surpassed. Just remember to put it in quotation marks and cite it properly. If in doubt, cite.

Always best to ask your tutor though. That's what they're there for! Some are even nice enough to just give you the exact reference to put in.

Thanks Rene, very well put. I'll get in touch with my tutor and see what she says!

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos II Theos View Post
    As far as memory serves Ghulams were captured Turks, who then served the Caliphs...but after murdering three Caliphs- the Mamlukes on the other hand were enslaved children trained and educated as soldiers/ bodyguards. Something on those lines
    Mamluks were high ranking ex-slaves (or rather, high ranking ex-slaves were known as mamluks) amongst the Seljuks as well.

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Ok, thanks!

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

For an independent history study I have chosen to focus on the English Civil War of the 17th century, but I'm stuck on choosing an interesting and unique topic to focus on about the civil war. The only requirements I have is my topic has to be detailed enough to give me 2000 words to write about. I need to finalise it by next Monday. Any help is very appreciated.
    Signature loading...

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Hey guys, I'm writing an article about the Seleucids and I need images of silver/gold dishes depicting war elephants (more than 100 KB). I've searched all over google but I can't find them. Can you help?
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

I will see what I can do, no promises though. Very interested in reading your article though

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

I searched through our uni data, unfortunately I can only find silver coins with the kings, gods or horsemen on it. But I agree with Aiskhylos that you have chosen an interesting topic! I've missed seeing your name on TWC recently
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Not much luck so far. The images of elephants I have found so far, probably depicts African Ptolemaic elephants. But still worth a look, I'm sure you are familiar with the Sidonian tomb paintings at Tell Maresha.
    Dated circa 200 BCE

I'm doing a bit of a history project about the advancement of warfare, and I'll be focussing in debt on great military reformers or general someone who enhance the tactics of the time.

So far I have:
    Phillip II
    Hannibal
    Gustav II Adolf
    Napoleon
    Frederick II

Anyone I'm missing or should add?

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Gaius Marius the roman legions , first professional soldiers ,

maybe Charles the 7th of france he had the first standing army in the west , the janissaries of the Ottomans were first of course but there is debate about weather Orhan I or Murad I formed them

and your missing a modern general for stuff like Blitzkrieg but i don't think you can assign one general to that...

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    Gaius Marius the roman legions , first professional soldiers ,

maybe Charles the 7th of france he had the first standing army in the west , the janissaries of the Ottomans were first of course but there is debate about weather Orhan I or Murad I formed them

and your missing a modern general for stuff like Blitzkrieg but i don't think you can assign one general to that...
    Thanks mate, I'll look into all of them.

Guderian played the major role in the blitzkrieg, maybe him, but your right to say no one should get full credit.

If anyone has other stuff to add, I'm looking to get as many topics to look into as I can

Does anyone know of any quotes on "Controversial subjects" or "Controversity" generally. for example saying something like "Controversy encourages thought" +rep will be given!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Does anyone know of any quotes on "Controversial subjects" or "Controversity" generally. for example saying something like "Controversy encourages thought" +rep will be given!
    mm don't know what you are looking for actually, but try to give a look here http://www.great-quotes.com/quotes/category/Controversy

there is plenty of quotes about controversy

hope it helps mate

EDIT: I realized that I should not have posted a link ..

anyway, having a look around I found some that look good to present controversy as a form of estimulation

- "This kind of controversy is actually pretty frequent. It pretty typically arises because several people are working in the same area and examining the same thing" // Randal Collins

- "[Some good may come of the controversy.] It's beneficial for everyone to cope with these issues, ... Active citizen involvement is critical for a healthy democracy." // Bruce Fein

- "Virtually all evidence produces controversy. If it matters, it produces controversy." // Jay Greene

my bad
    Last edited by Flinn; September 06, 2013 at 05:02 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Greetings, I need some help with the meaning of some abbreviations which leads to sources about various praefectus castrorum. Some of them clearly leads to ancient authors and historians but many of them leads to modern collection of epigraphic and papyrus sources.

Thanks for the help

http://prntscr.com/1s83vn
    http://prntscr.com/1s841h
    http://prntscr.com/1s845z
    http://prntscr.com/1s84ci
    http://prntscr.com/1s84jd
    http://prntscr.com/1s84p0