Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Correct. Mouth's turn

THE Mouth's turn

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by panson24 View Post
    THE Mouth's turn

Ok heres a rather obscure question for you guys. What happened to those that drank the waters that flowed down from the Mountains of Terror? What was the other name for the Mountains of Terror?

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Ered Gorgoroth. If you drink the waters, you become hopeless.

Wizad got it right! Have some rep .
    The next question is yours.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

He seems to have hidden for fear of his newfound fame ;-)

Wizad?

Like Smoesville already said, the biggest part of the challenge is to come up with a good question. If you have a good question, feel free to post it until I have come up with a good one myself.

Well to keep this thread rolling I'll ask a simple question (Last question I promise )

How was Glaurung killed?

You can always poke me for one Wizad, I am always ready with some little-known Lore ;-)

A hint for the question, for I am no longer in the Quizz; TŚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA

Come on guys; what did Turin Turambar do when he jumped into the ravine and Glaurung crossed over it?

Well since no one has answered in a day; Glaurung was killed when Turin Turambar stabbed him in the belly while in a ravine/whats-it-called. Since no one answered anybody can ask the next question.

mmm ok.... simple, what are the names of the trolls that attack bilbo and the dwarfs on the begining of their journey in the hobbit?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Bert, Tom and Bill. That really was easy. On a side note, the name Bill/Billiam is the same name as William but started being Billiam because of the way the Irish pronounced it.

Who was the first king of Numenor to have his name spoken in Adūnaic? Also what was his name in both Quenya and Adūnaic?
    Last edited by smoesville; May 23, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Who was the first king of Numenor to have his name spoken in Adūnaic? Also what was his name in both Quenya and Adūnaic?
    Tar-Calmacil (S.A. 2516–2825, r. S.A. 2737–2825) or Ar-Belzagar.

How long is the river Anduin (approximatly in 1 F.A.) and which people lived alongside it's banks?

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

How long? Hmm, do you want a specific amount? I'd say about 2500-2600 km.

Gondorians, Elves from Lothlorien, Beornings, the hobbit-like folk (Smeagol's family), maybe some orcs in the far north. Haradrim in the far south in harondor.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    How long? Hmm, do you want a specific amount? I'd say about 2500-2600 km.

Gondorians, Elves from Lothlorien, Beornings, the hobbit-like folk (Smeagol's family), maybe some orcs in the far north. Haradrim in the far south in harondor.
    almost, and to be annoying I typed lived next to is, past. So which people lived next to it ever, as far recorded. I want a scientifically supported amount, preferably.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

How many races of hobbits are there and what are they? Btw the rules are in page 1
    Last edited by Incredible Bulk; July 08, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Strictly speaking you have to answer Tar-Aldarion's question before starting a new one. But as it seems no one could, feel free to start again.

Here is my answer, though in truth we cannot know:
    Length of the Anduin: 1388 Miles (2233.769 km) according to Karen Wynn Fonstad.

Peoples:
    First Age;
    The Three Elven hosts lived along its banks for a while before crossing the Hithaeglir. Part of the Teleri turns South to become the Nandor.
    The three Edain hosts with the Drśghu friends of the Haladin. Part of the House of Marach/Hador stays behind.
    The Easterlings.

Second Age; Not much of the Second Age is known, but...
    Various Northmen tribes lived in Eriador and the Anduin Vales, growing in power in alliance with Dwarves. It is the ancestors of the Woodmen that comes too late to help Isildur's company.
    Along the lower parts of the Anduin a people descended from the house of Haleth- or related to them- lived on both sides of the Ered Nimrais. They would later become the Dunlendings and common people of those parts of Gondor.
    Nandor-Silvan, ruled by Teleri-Sindar and later by Galadriel lived in Lorien.
    Orks in Dol Guldur, they were enough of a presence to ambush Isildur.

Third Age:
    Hobbits turn up, probably related to Stoors.
    Northmen, Beornings and probably Woodmen, later Eotheod and Rohirrim.
    Silvan Elves in Lorien
    Orks in Dol Guldur still and at the end Uruks occupy Ithilien till Boromir and Faramir drive them out.
    At one point the Balchoth have lived on the eastern side for a while
    Gondorians, both Dśnedain and the descendants of the Haladin
    You might argue that Haradrim live on the southern edge at the end of the age.
    Corsairs for a while during the Kin Strife when they are still the Usurper's Men.

I dunno how many that is as some are the same people that change name. I cannot think of more out of hand before my morning coffee. Perhaps my Swedish buddy can or has the books to hand.

I'd add orcs (and possibly dwarves) near the source or the Anduin within the Grey Mts to your list Mac, and maybe you could make a case for Drakes and Giants (though that would be purely speculation).

Do Eagles count as well, they likely hunted there?

Wargs?

I considered and discounted Dwarves and Radagast, Radagast because he is only one and the Istarii are not a people. Dwarves because they live in the mountains above the roots of the Anduin. You could argue that they lived near the springs like that of Silverlode. I would accept it, but discounted it myself. The Great Eagles also live high in the mountain peaks. That is hardly along the Anduin. The SE of Thranduil would be as close.

Ngugi also suggested the possibility Wargs privately if one wanted to stretch it, but I do not really count them as people and we agreed on that one. They are but nastier wolves. That they talk in The Hobbit can be subscribed to the general tendency of fairy-tale animals to speak. A few might have Fėahini blood from lesser Maiar turned werewolf in the First Age, but the animal side is still predominant.

So possibly Dwarves, but the others I would not think.

Anyways. I think to keep the quizz alive from now on anyone answering reps the one posting the question. Cause it seems Lore in itself is not enough to keep it going

I will probably still not be playing, but let us start over with Charger's question.

I assume you mean the one about Hobbits so here it is:

There are three types of Hobbits: Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides.