Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Middle-Earth: Total War

Default Middle-Earth: Total War

Middle-Earth: Total War

Hello guys.

I'm not a member of the Middle-Earth: Total War mod team, but I think that this mod deserve its own thread here. I didn't find one thread already open, so I created one myself.

I'm sure that a lot of people already know this awesome mod, the third on Tolkien's books, with The Lord of the Rings: Total War and The Fourth Age: Total War.

-- You can download the last beta version here

-- You can see the factions previews here

-- You can see the buildings previews here

EDIT: New download link for beta 1.00: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21548273/metw_v100.exe

For the moment, the team is trying to make new custom buildings for the mod. Thor the Bassist has already done a Rivendell Settlement, and Osgiliath city, a Helm's Deep fortress (bugged) and is making the city of Bree.

Some pics of the work already done by this very skilled team:

Rivendell:

Helm's Deep:

Osgiliath:

Bree:

Last edited by Aradan; April 12, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Default Re: Middle-Earth: Total War

These are amazing. Are these made in the battle editor and saved as map.rwm?

these are amazing but i thought this mod died

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

METW was made open-source. There is no team for it, but Thor has tried to revive it and done an outstanding job on the settlement plans. He's been working on them exclusively for what must be the good part of a year which I hope gives some idea of the difficulty, time and effort those who are always asking for "proper cities" on the battemap can so easily not see behind the scenes.

It was the first Middle-earth mod (started life on MTW I believe). It is based on the books, like FATW. LOTRW is based on the movies.

It would be good to see this - the original Middle-earth mod - staffed again and completed. I know some progress has been made on the mod generally but I do not think there is an official team. It is hosted at chamber-of-records.com so go there to find out more.

Super work, Thor, as always.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

ill go there it looks awesome so far.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

is this for what game?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Rome 1.2 the original...
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    Rome 1.2 the original...
    It's actually for Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion 1.6.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I remember going there and seeing all these modified settlement layouts many months ago and hoping the mod would come to fruition. Maybe the settlements can be combined with work on other mods such as FA:TW if it is deemed impossible for a ME:TW team to make a sufficiently standard mod.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Hi guys. Good to hear you like my building stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gennosuke43 View Post
    These are amazing. Are these made in the battle editor and saved as map.rwm?
    They're made as models, then coded as buildings into the game, then listed in the settlement plan.txt and then coded to associate the settlement plan with a settlement. They can then be put in the battle editor or viewed from the view settlement thing in the campaign (except osgiliath which isn't a settlement).

METW is a little bit dead at the moment. A few months ago Burns (last of the original team) left due to real life and not much is know about what he wants to happen with the project. He doesn't seem to be responding to emails and has ended up MIA a bit like Encaitar.While not wanting to "take over" METW (as in take it away from Burns) it would be nice to see some progress on it in areas such as the campaign which currently isn't playable and if anyone has a burning desire to work on the project you are quite welcome to contact me about it. The things Burns did leave are some really nice unit models which I'm sure he wouldn't want to go to waste.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; August 20, 2008 at 07:01 AM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thor the Bassist View Post
    Hi guys. Good to hear you like my building stuff.

They're made as models, then coded as buildings into the game, then listed in the settlement plan.txt and then coded to associate the settlement plan with a settlement. They can then be put in the battle editor or viewed from the view settlement thing in the campaign (except osgiliath which isn't a settlement).

METW is a little bit dead at the moment. A few months ago Burns (last of the original team) left due to real life and not much is know about what he wants to happen with the project. He doesn't seem to be responding to emails and has ended up MIA a bit like Encaitar.While not wanting to "take over" METW (as in take it away from Burns) it would be nice to see some progress on it in areas such as the campaign which currently isn't playable and if anyone has a burning desire to work on the project you are quite welcome to contact me about it. The things Burns did leave are some really nice unit models which I'm sure he wouldn't want to go to waste.
    Do you need a 2D Artist?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I think a lot of the 2D art is done. Well, I'm not completly sure what needs a 2D artist but the loading screens, advisors and unit cards are all done

I think a 2D artist is needed. A lot of interface and UI aren't made, and personnaly I think that the loading screens aren't very good...

~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Caesar View Post
    Do you need a 2D Artist?
    Firstly, yes, that would be a great help.

Personally I create my building textures myself just for the ease of containing it to one person. If the project takes flight once more though there's some UI and stuff that needs doing. Part of my problem is that I have little idea about what Burns did that needs coding and what's what really.

Perhaps if you download the mod and have a look and see what needs improving we can move on from there. I haven't really played the mod in a while - I usually just fire it up to test whatever I've just changed.

Oah, and the mod needs sprites I believe...

Maybe yeah though they're annoying and really they'll just be created at the end of dev by the game (it has an auto sprite generator).

@Legio Caesar - Just did a 2 minute check around and recon there's quite a bit to do even if you dont touch the stuff thats already there. Event cards (we need to come up with events yet but hey!) building UI cards and all the stuff that comes with it though first a decision needs making on what buildings will be in each race.

I downloaded the great looking mod and installed it as the instructions told me to do. I use Rome Total war Gold edition and copied all files and pasted them in a different hard drive to keep a 'clean' version of RTW. But the mod doesnt work. I did make an new shortcut of the BI.exe but I cannot add this line: - nm -modbimetw to it. Can someone give me advice please?

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Maybe the target line directory is different from the default directory below, make sure both file paths match.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I use Rome Total war Gold edition and copied all files and pasted them in a different hard drive to keep a 'clean' version of RTW.
    You dont need to do this because metw is mod foldered so will not overwrite any files (you may still want to but thats totally fine - up to you).

Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I did make an new shortcut of the BI.exe but I cannot add this line: - nm -modbimetw to it. Can someone give me advice please?
    You have to right-click on the shortcut and go to the "shortcut" tab at the top. Go to the "Target:" line and add after the quotation marks
    Code:
    -nm -mod:bi\metw
    Sos if you've already dont this but could you explain your problem more clearly.

EDIT: that instructions file is way out of date. Dont do any of the copying that it says in there just the target line stuff.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; September 25, 2008 at 05:29 AM.

Thank you very much Thor!! Now it works. I did this wrong:

Make a new shortcut for BI and in the Target line add: - nm -mod:bi\metw. Naturally this must be added after the quotations. Aside from that there isnt much more needed to be done.
    So I added the wrong line in the BI shortcut. So the instructions are not correct.

Thanks again for your help and I am going to play now!

Edit: at Rivendell the walls are missing, and I cant see the walls of Minas Tirith and probably from other cities either. But the units and campaign map look really good!
    Last edited by Invincible; September 25, 2008 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast