Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT: Unique buildings - post your ideas here!

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Icon3 BROKEN CRESCENT: Unique buildings - post your ideas here!

The purpose of this thread is to gather info on unique buildings which could be included in BC 3.0.

Post anything you think would be good addition to a settlement or to campaign map but in form of description and picture and possible effect an unique building could give.

The only obvious condition is: an unique building must exists in the 1174.

Request: please, post only your projects (description and picture and effect) and discuss matters only directly related to other user's project. Any posts which won't make a part of any design will be deleted.

Examples of unique buildings for Bukhara:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kalyan Minaret

[Designed by Bako, was built by the Qarakhanid ruler Arslan Khan in 1127 to summon Muslims to prayer five times a day. The body of the minaret is topped by a rotunda with 16 arched fenestrations, from which the muedzins summoned the muslims in the city to prayer. There is a brick spiral staircase that twists up inside around the pillar to the rotunda. Once the minaret was believed to have had another round section above the rotunda, but now only the cone-shaped top remains. The tower base has narrow ornamental strings belted across it made of bricks which are placed in both straight or diagonal fashion. The frieze is covered with a blue glaze with inscriptions. In times of war, warriors used the minaret as a watchtower to lookout for enemies. About a hundred years after its construction, the tower so impressed Genghis Khan that he ordered it to be spared when all around was destroyed by his men.]
    [Effect: +5% to religious conversion]

Mausoleum of the Samanids

[The Samanid mausoleum is located in the historical urban nucleus of the city of Bukhara, in a park laid out on the site of an ancient cemetery. This mausoleum, one of the most esteemed sights of Central Asian architecture, was built in the 9th (10th) century (between 892 and 943) as the resting-place of Ismail Samani - a powerful and influential amir of the Samanid dynasty, one of the Persian dynasty to rule in Central Asia, which held the city in the 9th and 10th centuries. Although in the first instance the Samanids were Governors of Khorasan and Transoxiana under the suzerainty of the Abbasid Caliphate, the dynasty soon established virtual independence from Baghdad.]
    [Effect: +5 to haunting ]

etc.

I know, this is very hasty-made project, I'm sure you'll prepare something definitely better, my friends.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT: Unique buildings

Ganja (For AA)

Don't know if this can be done in BC, but while playing DLV the other day as France, I noticed that at a certain point in time (I didn't check if it corresponded with the actual date of construction and all) France got to build the Notre Dame in Paris. So if it is possible to have unique buildings be built per settlement, and if this could be done with a script setting the date (or just linked to the level of city) perhaps this could also be used to have these historical buildings appear while you are playing your campaign? They could for example be rather expensive but have really bonusses? Just a thought.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

@Atabeg, thanks for the pictures, but could you please tell us what are those buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    So if it is possible to have unique buildings be built per settlement, and if this could be done with a script setting the date (or just linked to the level of city) perhaps this could also be used to have these historical buildings appear while you are playing your campaign? They could for example be rather expensive but have really bonusses? Just a thought.
    I'm not sure but I guess it's possible. That's interesting thought. I'll check it. It's definitely possible to have one unique building per settlement - you can see it in Europa Barbarorum. All unique buidlings there take up only two or three building trees in EDB.

Well, the first picture is a castle as you see. The second picture are maybe irrelevant, just a tomb. Last 2 are typical mosques from middle-ages.
    Last edited by Atabeg; January 11, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Yes, I see that it's a castle, but if we speak about unique buildings it is a requirement that such building should have a name illustrating its uniqueness.

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    Yes, I see that it's a castle, but if we speak about unique buildings it is a requirement that such building should have a name illustrating its uniqueness.
    Magnificent tombs, holy buildings/sites (mount Golgotha, Holy Sepulchre, Hagia Sophia, etc), structures with municipial functions (aquaducts, thermes, scholary buildings, defensive structures (Theodosian walls of Constantinople, etc), perculiar aspects of a city (for example the core of ancient Baghdad was quite unique - being build in concentric circles, etc - was that already incorporated?), etc... it would add extra bonuses to the players controlling those cities and provide the players with a nice read in lore (I hope so ).

Also, I'm guessing pre-muslim era buildings aren't excluded so in any case we could start out with a whole set of remnants from the ancient past, such as the pyramids of Meroë for example? What about historical sites from the Sabaen culture etc?

Am I guessing it right wudang?

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    Am I guessing it right wudang?
    That's right, at least some of those attractions could be included.

I guess that it only depends on time and amount of research put into implementing those buildings. And on place in EDB.

something like the 7 world wonders from Age of Empires? It would be cool if this unique buildings would have "special powers".

Quote Originally Posted by Qarama View Post
    something like the 7 world wonders from Age of Empires? It would be cool if this unique buildings would have "special powers".
    More like the various wonders and landmarks of EB, but then updated to the 12th century

Civis

It will be a very nice feature for the game.
    "A people with no history is a people with no future" - Nicolae Iorga

Al-Masjid al-Nabawi
    Settlement : Madina

Al-Azhar Mosque
    settlement : Cairo
    http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...university.htm

I also suggest for add income (cash from pilgrims every year) in settlemet such as Mecca, Madina, and Jerusalem because as a sacred place that visited by pilgrims.

I think the Lighthouse of Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World would be a good choice. It was still working at the start date (It was destroyed by two consecutive earthquakes in 1303 and 1323). Its design inspired a lot of lighthouses in Europe and minarets in the Islamic world.

Settlement: Kiev
    Building: Golden Gate

Constructed in 1037 during the reign of Yaroslav I the Wise (Golden Age of Kievan Rus) as analogue of gate in Constantinople.

Effect: ?

Building: Saint Sofia Cathedral

Constructed in X-XI centures.

Later I will prepare more detailed information.

Last edited by Alejandro Sanchez; January 18, 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Settlement: Bilar
    Building: General Mosqe

Constructed in X century.

Could this be added aswel on the campaign map?
    Screenshot comes from the mod:Ferrum Aeternum http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=596
    Sig made by me, content from Broken Crescent.

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. It's good to see someone focusing on medieval Asia.

This is the one that sprung to mind - still one of the major attractions in the Middle East today:

The Great Umayyad Mosque, Damascus

Construction started in the year 705 on the site of previous Aramean and Roman temples and a Christian cathedral. The mosque incorporated some of the previous classical architecture into its design. It was built under the Umayyad caliph Al-Walid and was the work of thousands of craftsmen of Coptic, Persian, Indian and Byzantine origin, and the layout was based on the Mosque of the Prophet in Medina.

The mosque holds a shrine said to contain the head of John the Baptist, who is venerated by both Muslims and Christians (so this would have effects for a faction of either religion).

The Umayyad Mosque has been rebuilt several times due to fires in 1069, 1401 and 1893, which damaged the great mosaics in particular. Due to this, the building may have looked slightly different in 1174, although I think the layout was much the same.
    Last edited by PyrrhusofEpirus; January 23, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Hi, PyrrhusofEpirus!

Good idea with the Mosque.

Of course the "Maiden Tower" ( "Qiz Qalas" i in azeri) in Baku
    History

It was constructed in the 12th century, or possibly earlier - its architectural style and construction sequence is obscure, and estimates for its age go back to an unlikely 2,500 years. It was built by the 12th century architect Masud ibn Davud, who was probably the father of the architect of Mardakan Round Tower (not to confuse with Mardakan castle)[1]. Its foundation are believed to be a Sasanid era Zoroastrian site.[2]
    Last edited by Eisberg; January 26, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Bābak Fort, Babak Castle,[1] or Bazz Galasi[1] (Persian: دژ بابک or قلعه بابک), also known as the Immortal Castle, is a large citadel on the top of a mountain in the Arasbaran forests, which is located 16 km southwest of Kalibar City in northwestern Iran. It has been identified as the stronghold of Bābak Khorramdin, the leader of the Khurramites in Azerbaijan who fought the Abbassids.[1]

every year on 30-th of Juny , Azeris in Iran march to "Bazz Qalasi", despite of the gouverment.
    to Azeris Babek is not just a National Hero, he is a National Herritage just like our Culture and our soil..
    In Azerbaijan there arehis monuments in many cities, after his name was called one of the most important Streets in Baku, people call their children after him , and tell their kids the story of Babek.
    Its a National Epos..

Last edited by Eisberg; January 23, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast