Page 40 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1530313233343536373839404142434445464748495065 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Kaiser View Post
    Cheers Templar, i'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the forum, but your reply was useful. One question is that when you use ships to block armies, does that stop them from moving into your own lands (i.e, Haradirm into Gondor) or can you only block them when they are inside their own ships??
    If your ship is standing at a shallow/crossing where armies can pass over then the enemy shall be hindered from using it.
    This is nothing that I've ever ended up testing for real (aka I never seen an enemy army not been able to pass, though perhaps they havent gone near because they couldnt go there with my ship in the way?) but that has been constantly reported and I thus acknowlidge it as a truth.
    Edit: and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 27, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

I'm the same, when a ship has been there i've never seen an enemy army go near it but they have crossed when ships weren't there. I would point out that the fact an army can cross a river without a ocean going fleet is acceptable, smaller boats and rafts could easily cross a river. Blocking the crossings also seems to bring another level to defending Gondor. It forced me to maintain a fleet to stop Harad 'landing' troops across the Anduin and defend the ships that guarded the crossing from the corsair fleet.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

I think that Orcs of Gundabad should have more evil men units to make them different to Orcs of Misty Mountains, like Numernorians and stuff. Also dont know whether its meant to be but you cant put soldiers on walls of Minas Morgul. Also I think that the forces of good should be able to call an invasion (like a Last Alliance sort of thing) that would be good becuase all the evil armies get to unite so why not the good armies aswell.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Crispicus View Post
    I think that Orcs of Gundabad should have more evil men units to make them different to Orcs of Misty Mountains, like Numernorians and stuff. Also dont know whether its meant to be but you cant put soldiers on walls of Minas Morgul. Also I think that the forces of good should be able to call an invasion (like a Last Alliance sort of thing) that would be good becuase all the evil armies get to unite so why not the good armies aswell.
    1. You think the proudest and most arrogant of the highest of men would serve mere goblins? Better give them more diverse trolls instead, or some Rhudaur Hillem/Easterlings representing allies/mercs.

2. Minas Morgul/Ithil cannot have soldiers on the walls, it is a feature of the custom settlements. But I believe it is being worked upon.

3. Check this mod. It might be included in an updated Vanilla, we can hope.

Thanks Ngugi. I look forward to being able to contribute to the forums as much as possible. Now about your point, i'll give it a go because it sounds like it works and if it does that makes the defending a bit easier. Cheers.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Crispicus View Post
    Also I think that the forces of good should be able to call an invasion (like a Last Alliance sort of thing) that would be good becuase all the evil armies get to unite so why not the good armies aswell.
    Check this submod: Dúnedain Counter-Invasions 1.0

I have another quick suggestion relating to Minas Tirith. Three things i would like to see if at any time in the near future the people who designed it could add.
    1) More space to place units, not particularly on the walls there ok, i mean on the ground within the city streets. It takes me ages to get guys set up because of the lack of space within the city.
    2) sort of a counter-point to the first suggestion, but i would love to see more buildings within the city, there is a huge section of land to the left of the gate (from the invading armies perspective) that could be converted into more buildings, just to add more weight and perspective to the city itself.
    3) when you play in a non-custom made settlement the buildings get destroyed when struck by boulders from catapults, i would absolutely love to see that translate into custom settlements especially in Minas Tirith. Just having catapults fire into the city and smashing buildings would make it that much more thrilling and exciting (well for me anyway, not sure about anyone else).
    Well that's about it. Would love to see these basic suggestions added, I really think it can add to the Aesthetic value of Minas Tirith. But even so Minas Tirith looks sick in this Mod.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    I'm the same, when a ship has been there i've never seen an enemy army go near it but they have crossed when ships weren't there. I would point out that the fact an army can cross a river without a ocean going fleet is acceptable, smaller boats and rafts could easily cross a river. Blocking the crossings also seems to bring another level to defending Gondor. It forced me to maintain a fleet to stop Harad 'landing' troops across the Anduin and defend the ships that guarded the crossing from the corsair fleet.
    The AI is 'smart' in their own way - one that we can never understand.
    They 'pre-navigate' the whole path, and check if there's any blockage or things that stop them on that path.
    If there are, they just won't even start moving, until it's clear or a new path presents.
    Same reason of the 2.1 Minas Tirith/Rammas Echor epic blockade.

The only exception is Invasion - they just keep walking (and create awkward moments like moving up and down forever).
    Aure entuluva!

Default Some ideas on increasing faction uniqueness

I must say the thing that I think could work really well in this setting is the Parthia or Britannia of Rome Total War in fact all the none Roman factions made you play in different ways, now I know this isnt a mod of Rome and the M2 brings a different faction base upon which the mod is built but as is clear from the wealth of different units that the modders have been able to create, there is a potential level of total uniqueness that while lacking in M2:TW itself has been well captured once more. Why was Rome so damn good? Well mainly because with Barbarian factions you had to fight quick vicious battles before you all routed, Parthia was a pure cavalry style, Eygpt and Selucids had the shock based units, and Romans, well they had bits of almost everything and that is leaving out the defensive and difficult hoplites of Greece.

Parthia in particular boasted a cavalry roster that I couldnt wait to get my greedy little hooves on but only one infantry unit, unfortunately said infantry unit were as effective at holding a line so you could use the awesome cavalry as a soft cheese. As a result you were forced to fight a skirmish style of battle until you pulled off your hammer blow of a cavalry charge. Even better your early-mid opponent Eygpt made you damn well work for those victories. Why is Rohan not the TATW equivilent of this faction? Now I know the battle of Helms Deep was not won due to a powerful cavalry charge from Gandalf and Eomer but Erkenbrand and 2000 foot troops alongside some angsty trees but they have far too many infantry options for what is made out to be a horse dominated society. Some weakish militia troops yes, the smorgasbord of infantry options you do get. Not so much. Now I know you can play without using alot of infantry but what makes factions unique for me is when you really have to play in a certain fashion and I think this mod misses some glaringly obvious opportunities to do this.

I could go on but I am not sure anyone would read a small essay on the matter.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Some ideas on increasing faction uniqueness

This belongs in the Suggestions section.

While I agree in a way that the diversity and uniqueness of units is pat of what makes RTW interesting (though it has nothing on EB- you should try that). I have toi point out that it is made vary clear in UT that Rohan has a professional army, and that it is made up of both foot and horse. Very horsey- yes, but they are not dumb, they know the value of good infantry. Though much of it might be dismounted horse and though they have nothing on Gondor, Rohan has an effective infantry arm as part of their army.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    This belongs in the Suggestions section.

While I agree in a way that the diversity and uniqueness of units is pat of what makes RTW interesting (though it has nothing on EB- you should try that). I have toi point out that it is made vary clear in UT that Rohan has a professional army, and that it is made up of both foot and horse. Very horsey- yes, but they are not dumb, they know the value of good infantry. Though much of it might be dismounted horse and though they have nothing on Gondor, Rohan has an effective infantry arm as part of their army.
    Yup. Most of their foot soldiers are either militia (who can't afford a horse) or dismounted riders (who dismounted and are therefore not on horseback)
    Besides, compared to most other factions their infantry sucks. It lacks the quality of gondor and the numbers of the uruks they have to fight.

I think TATW has a lot of diversity. I mean, Elves focus on range, quality and arrows, orc factions on the other hand are very weak and melee focused (with some being more focused on trolls, and isengard has units which are a lot better but lacks trolls) Dwarves meanwhile are more like elves: They have a lot of quality and low numbers, but they focus on melee instead of range.

The races of men are more balanced but they too are different: Dale is archer oriented, Rohan is cavalry oriented, Gondor and Arnor have awesome infantry, Easterlings have some insanely tough units and Harad... Has mumakil?
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
    The races of men are more balanced but they too are different: Dale is archer oriented, Rohan is cavalry oriented, Gondor and Arnor have awesome infantry, Easterlings have some insanely tough units and Harad... Has mumakil?
    That, Serpent Guard, and Troll-men.

Which adds up to two very good units that cause fear, exceptional General's Bodyguard, and poor-to-O.K. everything else. This results in an army that is very, very focused on breaking the enemy morale instead of killing them in a stand up confrontation. And an interesting game against Gondor.

I do think Rhún needs an AoR unit or two to give it's starting area a bit more character and the same for the Orcs of Gundabad and the Misty Mountains, but other than that I think the various rosters are differentiated enough as is.

Icon10 Re: Suggestions

I have a suggestion for units. In Middle-earth were also creatures called half-orcs and goblin men. Maybe good units for the "more orcish factions?"

Each character, when playing the third age campagin have faces, however Eomer doesn't have one (not the correct one anyway). Not sure if anyone noticed this, but in all the campagins I have played hes not got a proper face. It may not be a top priority atm, but we be a nice touch to upload Eomers pic from the movie.

New idea, "fell beats" for Mordor, the dragon things that the Nazguls ride.

I would love to see that, but i don't think it is possible. I'm not sure they have any flying units in Medieval Total war. Then again, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Kaiser View Post
    I would love to see that, but i don't think it is possible. I'm not sure they have any flying units in Medieval Total war. Then again, you never know.
    fly fly

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

fly bird

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AND SO IT SHALL BE WRITTEN MY GOOD FELLOWS THAT I TOP_KAISER STAND CORRECTED. FELL BEASTS 2012!!!

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

They don't actually fly, they still take up an invisible column below them. Also they can't fly over buildings and sometimes they are quite buggy.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.