Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

Default Re: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

I would very much like to see possibilities of shared control of a region. For example, if player A colonizes a region (with, say, a trade colony or a military post), this should not necessarily mean that he controls all of it. There should be the opportunity to try and monopolize businesses in other factions' territories. Being able to establish trade networks (with the possibility to fortify them, like the Varangians did) in "foreign" provinces would also be great.
    Also, some representation of how a faction takes over a province: whether it's only taking over the government, or making them a client kingdom, or a full scale invasion of a whole people, or even marginalizing/wiping out the natives and establishing a new population/culture.
    Speaking of cultures, there should also be a way to determine whether you (as the player culture) adopt the native culture, or the natives adopt yours, or there is a mix between the two.

Another major request of mine would be having a third weapon for cavalry units (and maybe for infantry too). That way, we could have mounted Samurai carry and use a bow, spear, and sword like they historically did, or an European mounted knight with a lance, sword and mace. There could be an automatic system that determines which weapon is most useful against which enemy, as well as a manual setting, if the unit in question has more than one close combat weapon.

Also, I'd very much appreciate the possibility to win the game without constant all-out war (i.e. without having to fight an unrealistic number of wars and battles). Be it via diplomacy or sabotage or whatever else. Other than that, I can only reiterate the calls for more historical accuracy and easier moddability.

Master Nikolaos's Avatar Decanus

Dear CA,

Here are some personal request that I find would make a future total war game that much more immersing:

Campaign Map to Battle Map Dependency: It was evident in Empire and Napoleon that the place in the campaign map where one fought had little more than an artificial bearing on how the battlefield looked, i.e., the Alps weren't there, maps were really recycled, etc. This was somewhat improved in Shogun 2, where campaign map terrain features made it into the battle maps. However, the maps still feel very much recycled, and I often get the feeling I've fought in a particular battle map a million times before. I did not have this feeling as much in Rome Total War, where the campaign map did really seem to be very much connected to the battle map terrain and made one feel as if one were fighting somewhere, not just anywhere.

Multiple Battle Armies, a.k.a. Full Reinforcement System: Medieval 2 had it right; if you had two stacks against one stack, your other army stack would join the battle and the enemy would be truly outnumbered two to one simultaneously. The 'few troops at a time' reinforcement system is BAD NEWS BEARS. Here's why. In Empire, I recall having an army of a few elite troops being able to fend off three stacks of militia. The elite troop army, which wasn't even a full stack, should've lost. Why didn't it? Because the three stacks were not able to take it on at the same time! Reinforcements just trickled in after the first stack was routed, after which point victory for the militia was out of the question. Therefore, the inclusion of a true reinforcement system would add to the tactical depth of game-play once again.

Semi-Recognizable settlements or Forts: Obviously dependent upon the time period (Industrial Era cities being too large to render accurately!), a truly immersing move for the Total War Series would be to have the settlements or forts in the campaign be closer to the actual thing, approximately, at the particular time in history. I can see how this could be a daunting task. However, even if only Capital Cities and/or iconic/famous forts were made semi-realistic or recognizable, such as having a Rome 2 game include a battle map for Rome where the Tiber River would flow through the city and the settlement looked roughly like the real deal, or where Krak des Chavaliers was an individual, unique castle, it would create an atmosphere of incredible depth in a campaign. At CA's discretion, of course, I would truly like to see recognizable settlements to at least some degree. After all, if the Lord of the Rings Mod for Medieval 2 can manage unique settlements, why couldn't the mighty CA?

Those, I would say, are my three biggest request for new or returning features that would make any future total war game better. Could I pick at a million things? Why of course I could! But I understand it is a long and hard process making a game, and I don't expect a total war game to be a completely realistic battle sim game! (least I'd be spending years playing a campaign). I truly admire CA's work, and hope at least some of my requests ring true.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by GambleFish View Post
    Ooo, nice thread so far. Surprised no comments on diversification of unit roster yet.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I would say that adding content mid-game would be really cool. Like Realm Divide, but taken a step further. For instance, (and this is just an example, I know Shogun 2 is done and Korea won't be a part of it), having some Korean/Chinese/other factions in the game outside of Japan that can be trade partners and perhaps naval powers in the first half of the game. However, their provinces will remain in-accessible to the Japanese factions until you become Shogun, to represent how fierce the competition for Kyoto was, and the need for Japan to be more stable before you interact with your neighbors. In this example, when the half-way point gets reached and one faction becomes the new Shogunate, the enemies can form an alliance that controls the rest of Japan or something, and you, the new Shogun, now have access to the land and cities of your enemies, and you can wage war country-on-country, as you now have the power of a nation behind you.

In general, this idea expands upon the more focused, regional campaigns like in M2TW: Kingdoms, and combines it with the Periods idea from MTW. For instance, in Rome 2, there could be two or three starting positions: an Early campaign, in which most of the Eastern provinces are locked (Russia, Egypt, Asia Minor). The factions still exist, but only to trade and negotiate with, perhaps to send armies with fleets as part of an agreement, but the territory is limited. In this Early period, you could do the whole "families" idea from RTW, or at least have it develop. If you did families, you would play as one family until you triggered civil war, fighting in Italy, Southern France, basically the South Eastern part of the Mediterranean. Once you control Rome, your enemies become one faction, and the map expands to show the rest of Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, now open to conquest by the newly minted Roman Empire. This would eliminate the steam-roller effect, and instead give the sensation of moving to another level of war. Like in Shogun 2 - you are fighting clans, which are strong, but when you become Shogun you could fight entire nations, each far more powerful than any single clan, giving you a real challenge on an increasingly grand scale.

In this idea for Rome 2 (another example, not assuming you are or anything), you could give an option for the player to start the game after Rome is unified / becomes an Empire, thus avoiding the early stage if the players want. There could also be a late-stage, perhaps along the lines of Barbarian invasion, or even just a more advanced stage of Roman Empire, where playing as another nation gives the challenge of taking down the big guys.

tl;dr: Bring back the era system from MTW! It is really easy to just reassign starting provinces, tech, and troops, and it adds a lot of enjoyment and re-playability to the game. I think it would be great to expand upon it, making the beginning of the game a smaller affair, with many nations only represented by trade and naval power with locked territory. Upon completing a goal (I.E., becoming Shogun), the player now gets to face the larger and more dangerous foreign powers, but with a country and army behind them.

This may have only been feasible with Shogun 2, but I dream of becoming Shogun - and only then seeing that the true challenge lies before me. Would erase my steam-roller feel and bring new life to the mid / late game!
    Aja! I like how you have taken this idea even further from what I thanked!
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

klesh's Avatar Senator

1. Mod tools, file information descriptions; anything that genuinely helps the mod community.
    2. A return to the campaign map determining the battle map. I have played battles on mountaintops in Napoleon (I chose not to buy Shogun2 for a myriad of reasons), where the battle map ended up being a flat field.
    3. The ability to manually reorder your unit cards in a stack. Ever since Empire, the system is really weird and having your army all jumbled up is not good.
    4. Custom Battles without limitations such as "small" or "large" funds. Allow us to input the fund amount.
    5. Awards or medals for our generals.
    6. Allow us to make notes at the Significant Battles markers. With so many on the map, just telling me the year, who won and the factions isn't enough info for me to remember which battle it was. Alternatively, have the autogenerated markers include more stats for the battle.
    7. Custom Battle, auto-generate-map... similar to the way it is done in campaigns. This way it will have fences and buildings like a regular map (the Custom Battles maps are sparse otherwise).
    8. A corps system, where I can attach several stacks together and move them as one big unit. Perhaps designating roles for the stacks which would affect which stack is the main one in the corps and which is reinforcements and which is heavy cavalry reserve etc.
    9. Separate gfx settings for campaign and battle maps. This would be huge.
    10. More robust diplomacy options. The ability to ask people to stop wars with other countries, the ability to propose something like "I will attack X while you attack Y faction."
    11. Strategic command elements in diplomacy (or maybe a 2nd type of "diplomacy" that is between generals only) where you get to request/suggest/demand that X or Y city (or even an enemy general [regardless of location] be attacked... "I will give you XYZ gold and tech if you attack Berlin" or "XYZ if you kill General Scharnhorst".
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Off the top of my head.

1) Mod tools.

2) Reinforcement system from M2

3) No Steam requirement.

4) Coupon for a free dozen donuts with game purchase.
    Last edited by old_dude; June 02, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

I would like to see the 2 following gameplay mechanics:

• Cavalry to fight differently from infantry->When they clash to move around and auto-fight with hit and run tactics. Up to now cavalry works like Fast-Infantry.
    • Mounted troops not always to die together with their horse but some to continue to fight dismounted. One way to implement this would be to make the soldiers who lose their horse uncontrollable by the human player, the way that now some horses do not die but run around randomly. Only this time these troops can try to auto get away or auto-close up to the human general unit.

Modding tools are the first thing I would like to see, esp a map tool.....it's been way too long since the glory days of medieval

That covers everything I'd like, no cheapie mod tools either, let us open everything up

oh and let cavalry break off easier....kinda stupid sometimes that my cavalry get bogged down by only a few infantrymen

No, that isn't a banana

Diplomatic ability to force someone else to seek peace with another faction. That would be immensely helpful in a number of different scenarions, such as where your Ally attacks your vassal...

1) Better re-inforcement system.

2) If you dont have proper cities/forts/settlements in the next game i will die from a rage attack (prefer something closer to the settlements in RTW/M2TW rather than ETW/NTW/S2TW.

3) Add a lot more traits

4) I seem to remember that the give region option in diplomacy is now missing-bring it back.

5) Bring back seperate tax rates for my towns, i was ok with it in Empire as it was such a large scale campaign, but for the smaller campaigns like Shogun i need back as it was in the good ole days.

6) Mercenary units recruited as they were in RTW/M2TW.

7) Some form of supply system.

8) You made a good start with the winter attrition and whatnot, i would maybe like to see something more added to that kind of thing.

THats all i can think of for now, but bear in mind if you make the game moddable and include a decent AI i won't care about anything else you do, new features would just be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post

4. Custom Battles without limitations such as "small" or "large" funds. Allow us to input the fund amount.
    They already brought that back in Shogun 2, just go on custom funds.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Everyone's said it and I'll say it too - TW needs an SDK, some mod tools...anything to keep the mod community innovating. Many keep saying "It won't happen because of DLC" but I don't see how this is an incompatible concept. Take Valve for example - a profitable DLC structure that everyone finds interesting and makes good money, with the mod community almost feeding into it with material. The long and short of it is DLC and mod tools would be nice so there's community created downloadable content, increasing the shelf life of the game and the interest everyone has in Total War. It almost feels like the modders out there who have been working in their free time tirelessly to make previous Total War products better, and thus increasing the sales of the likes of Rome and Medieval 2, have been totally forgotten about.

I personally don't agree with the "no Steam requirement" posts - I think its a very good thing it's on Steam. Multiplayer is vastly improved, I do love avatar conquest. But if there's one feature I'd like to see, it would be the ability to splash some cash on Steam to customise that a little more or customise to higher degree.

I must agree with mostly everyone on diplomacy - could be room for more features and improvements there.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Awesome feedback so far guys. Thanks very much - do keep it coming.

I'm compiling all of this into a report so the top brass will get to see it. I really like a lot of the ideas so far - it thrills me that our community are so passionate.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon6 Re: Feature requests - what's missing from Total War?

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    They already brought that back in Shogun 2, just go on custom funds.
    Ah, my mistake. As I mentioned in my post I did not buy Shogun2, voting with my wallet and whatnot.
    Glad it's back though!
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post

I'm compiling all of this into a report so the top brass will get to see it. I really like a lot of the ideas so far - it thrills me that our community are so passionate.
    Glad to help in any way we can (I guess I'm talking in the name of all here).

Also, I updated a little bit my wall-of-text... just in case any one wants to see it...
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

creation off settlements.
    When a region/8settlement reaches a certain population level you gain the option to divide the region and create a new region in the other half.

Also another thing you could consider adding.
    Up to now we cannot organise invasions with our allies.
    I hope in the future there is the ability to do this, either as a diplomacy option or directly in the campaign map.
    One way to do it is the following:
    -Select an army.
    -An option will be visible to "call allies".
    -You press and you see a list of the nearby allied armies to call with the relevant cost/turn (it will not be free).
    -You select one or more and press OK.
    -The AI will accept or deny according to diplomatic stance.
    -If the AI accepts you will gain visibility of these armies.
    -Each time you press the end turn button, the AI armies will try to follow you, to be near you.
    -The AI can break the treaty at any time after certain turns (if they need those armies elsewhere) or you can release them if you do not need them anymore and they cost a lot.

This way the alliances will become much more useful and realistic, and the strategy more demanding.
    Also, the AI should be able to call your armies for help and there will be a freedom of choice.
    If you accept then the calling army will be visible in map and if you do not join (meaning to be near this army) in a specific amount of turns you get diplomacy and money penalties.

Kazuma Ieyasu's Avatar Libertus

My request is simple, as everything has already been said:

1. A Tokugawa Mon in the Avatar Conquest that we can put on our Banner!
    (Its my favorite faction, and im running a group on steam with 1,480 members with most of them wanting this mon for conquest.)

-I support the idea of having a few more unit variety for different clans in the single player campaige, not too much but just a bit since its an isolated island and would be unrealistic.
    -I support the idea of More unique castles if it can be done.
    -I for sure support the modding tools for the Modders!
    -I also support the idea of the vet system to be included in single player campaige.
    Last edited by Kazuma Ieyasu; June 02, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Q:How far will I go with Rome? A:Far enough mates, far enough to make the Gods haters, and the maids wetter than a tsunami in a rainforest.

oh! did I mention "SHIELD" ?

I want unit with shield!! such as bamboo shield
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

An echo of most everyone else, but mod tools are my number one vote.

Then another echo, is better diplomacy. The ability to really get in deep and actually use alliances to the best benefits.
    Examples
    -If you trade with your ally you get a bonus to how much you make
    -You can make do "joint-ventures" perhaps in working together to research a new tech
    -Being able to "talk" to them in planning an invasion. I.E. They agree to attack this place on their turn, while you attack here. Even detailed enough where they swing into a province to distract the enemy's army while your army goes straight for the castle.
    -Being able to come to their aid, say one of their armies is about to be wiped out, perhaps a feature to be able to "rush to them" to help.

Thirdly, I really enjoyed the role-play elements and choosing the path your generals and characters take. Please keep doing this, it was amazing, and I hope you keep expanding it. As in more more options that keep effecting the battlefield and campaign map. As having units level up like ninjas and the like are amazing

Then lastly, this is just a request of mine that I doubt many share. I want a Total War in the World War II era, greatest generation ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Altimis View Post
    oh! did I mention "SHIELD" ?

I want unit with shield!! such as bamboo shield
    This thread is generally about future TW games...
    You probably misunderstood that the future changes will apply only for the current Shogun 2 game.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post

Well everyone's passionate because the Total War games are deliciously fun to play. Hats off to you sir!

I'll expand my point on modding slightly. Take say Team Fortress 2 - arguably a product doing well with modding and DLC right now. Most of the DLC for that being sold, comes out of the community, not in-house. Hats...maps...you name it. I often find myself asking why some well thought out mod tools for Total War haven't been released yet - when a team gets to a point they've got something really valuable, say someone made I dunno a Total Conversion...German Unification Total War for example, you guy's can take that, work with the team, tweak it - and then you've got something that adds value to the game and the community, and you can release the mod over Steamworks and charge for it with no where near as much effort or cost as it would be if it was an in-house development. You can easily apply this to other modded items - someone creates a magnificent expanded map for example, people will want to download that if it exists. The problems are of course it's near impossible to do at the moment for the modding community due to the level of hard coding - if it was possible, someone would do something like that, and then it becomes an option for you guys to put out there as paid for DLC.

Mods have been released using Steamworks before - admittedly only for Source Engine games. If some of the already released mods for Total War (Rome Total Realism, SPQR etc etc) were on there too...it would be fantastic and far easier for a customer to see the vanilla product and go "wow this Rome Total War game sounds awesome, but where's the extra replay value? oh delicious - look at all these mods ready to go when I've completed it". So if mod tools aren't a goer for some reason, perhaps GabeN can wave a magic wand and some of the big released mods for the likes of RTW and MTWII could get some Steamworks support - they could update more easily, the replay value is there for customers to see easily and we all benefit, the community, CA et al, if more people are playing or are interested in vanilla Total War games or creations made in the engine.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.