Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son View Post
    Can i get a source?
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plakkaa...atinghe#Belang

The historian Stephen E. Lucas wrote an essay on the subject, called The 'Plakkaat van Verlatinge': A Neglected Model for the American Declaration of Independence.

The Plakkaat van Verlatinghe was at the same time one of the first ''proper'' consitutions, as it put into words the rights and abilities of the states, population and federal government.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

I'm putting together a powerpoint presentation focused on American Civil War military tactics for my U.S History college course, but am having an extremely difficult time finding relevant images on the web. Finding any accurate and relevant depictions of Union soldiers, cavalry, or artillery has been difficult and finding Confederate images has been impossible. I can find sites that analyze and the war and give great information, but they rarely have pictures...

Does anyone know of some good resources I could use? I'm simply not finding them through search engines. =\ Anything involving infantry equipment, infantry in Napoleonic lines, cavalry, or ACW-era artillery would be awesome.

Thanks.

Lord de Lyonesse's Avatar Campidoctor

Please assist with this essay question:

How far was the emergence of the Cold War due to Stalin's foriegn policy from the years 1945-1953?
    GSTK: Richard Trevelyan [47] - Lord of Lyonesse

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleBonparte View Post
    I'm putting together a powerpoint presentation focused on American Civil War military tactics for my U.S History college course, but am having an extremely difficult time finding relevant images on the web. Finding any accurate and relevant depictions of Union soldiers, cavalry, or artillery has been difficult and finding Confederate images has been impossible. I can find sites that analyze and the war and give great information, but they rarely have pictures...

Does anyone know of some good resources I could use? I'm simply not finding them through search engines. =\ Anything involving infantry equipment, infantry in Napoleonic lines, cavalry, or ACW-era artillery would be awesome.

Thanks.
    Hi Camille,

I was fortunate enough to acquire a full set of William Davis' books on the American Civil War from the son of an deceased American Army Officer. There are a lot of photogrpahs of individual soldiers and regiments in them, which might fit the bill. There are also photographs of the battlefields taken at the time, and of artifacts like flags, pennants, weapons and ammunition etc. if you needed them.

Here is a sample:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The New York Militia parading on Broadway 1860. Note: the sign at the back seems to read 'Santa Claus Concert and Billard Saloon' which I found quite amusing, so i did some research and discovered it was owned by a Mr R Williams and was located at 596 Broadway boasting to be the venue for a Miss Julia Barton 'The most powerful singer in the Union' .

A Union Officer posed for his portait, many volunteers were under age.

A Union Regiment poses for the camera just before the Battle of Chickamauga in 1863. One wonders how many of the men shown were alive the next day.

Let me know if you are after anything specific.
    Last edited by Senno; June 01, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son View Post
    Can i get a source?
    http://www.barefootsworld.net/constit1.html

For the Constitions sources, nearly all taken striaght from the UK, as was the DOI.

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleBonparte View Post

Thanks.
    http://www.sonofthesouth.net/

You will find what you require here in general terms, witha little bit of searching by year. For specific things you need http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/artillery.htm
    Last edited by Senno; June 01, 2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: dp
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Lord de Lyonesse View Post
    Please assist with this essay question:

How far was the emergence of the Cold War due to Stalin's foriegn policy from the years 1945-1953?
    Your going to be focusing on a few key events here. Primairly the Yalta Confrence, when stalin secured his post-wwII empire, his confrontational attitues towards things such as Marshall Aid, The Berlin Air Lift and also it is important to note the oft ignored manchurian campaign at the end of WWII, which secured one of the most valuble regions of China for Mao, allowing for the creation of Communist China. Finally, to what extent stalin was invlovled in the Korean War.

I hope this helps, but its been a long time since I studied this period.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Hi there little bit stuck with this question..if I could just a starting point...

What were the connections between ideology, politics and the economy with reference to ww1 and the vietnam war

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

From a US standpoint?

Well, the US actively trying to contain Communism started just after WWI, when the US, France, Britain, Japan, and other WWI allied powers intervened in the October Revolution in favor of the White Russians. The US sent a sizeable expeditionary force to northern Russia.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

was there a unit that was made up entiraly of iliginimant sons?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

Hey guys, I forgot to thank you all for the Civil War resources, they helped a great deal in putting together my presentation - which I received an A for. Thanks a lot. Rep for those who helped out.

I come to you now today with yet another history project...I am to write a term paper debating the following statement:

Technological superiority was / was not the primary determining factor in explaining the results of conflicts between different societies.

I've got a few web sources from the post of links, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of specific conflicts between societies featuring large (or even minor) technological disparities (this is a World History to the 1600s course, so something from either the ancient, classical, post-classical, and medieval civilizations preferably) I could write about, as well as some sources I could use. It doesn't matter which stance the conflicts would support, the more info the better. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CamilleBonparte; July 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
    "If History is deprived of the truth, we are left with nothing but an idle, unprofitable tale." - Polybius
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

The one thing i would like to point out was the battle of cynoscephalae. The technological advantage of the Roman Legion's Maniple system vs the greek Phalanx system. Both sides are a good match for each other until the roman right flank overran the greek left when they couldn't deploy their phalanxes correctly. The roman right flank then turned around and massacred the rest of the greek army who couldnt quickly turn around to defend themselves because of their clunky phalanxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cynoscephalae

Also the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

The City's walls were finest by that time. It was through the use of heavy cannons that the turks finally punched a whole through them.
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

Ah, yes. I knew the TWC would save the day.

I have to write a paper about the Black Death for my European History class and I find it very hard to find some reputable sources that have a decent amount of information on it. I need to know what was happening politically, economically, religiously, socially, intellectually, and within the arts in Europe during the years of 1347-1351 and possibly a little after in reference to the plague. If you could either show me some good sources where I could read up on these things or give me some reliable information yourself, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
    SkepticaL

The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time

By John Kelly

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

Can anyone give me the Greek symbols for Hic Est Lakedaemon? As in what the greeks would have written if they were to write it. it seems that the symbol font on Microsoft Word 2010 might be it, but i want to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

I need some help with this essay :

Describe the partitions of Poland of the 18th century

I don't know much about Poland and I can't find decent notes(I need much more detail than Wikipedia...), any help?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    I need some help with this essay :

Describe the partitions of Poland of the 18th century

I don't know much about Poland and I can't find decent notes(I need much more detail than Wikipedia...), any help?
    This article does a good job or providing broad historical context. I don't know much about this subject in particular, but if I had to write an essay on the topic I would probably use a source like this. Good luck!

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

This makes a good breif

I'd also use This for more info on the First Partition

This is also an interesting, yet very short bit on the second partition

And one Final brief on the partitions

I hope they can be of use to you, but I would also recommend getting The Pursuit of Glory, by Professor Tim Blanning from a library. The partitions are included

EDIT: haha, a bit late...

(I just noticed this section of the forum)
    Last edited by 'Gunny; September 27, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticaL View Post
    I have to write a paper about the Black Death for my European History class and I find it very hard to find some reputable sources that have a decent amount of information on it. I need to know what was happening politically, economically, religiously, socially, intellectually, and within the arts in Europe during the years of 1347-1351 and possibly a little after in reference to the plague. If you could either show me some good sources where I could read up on these things or give me some reliable information yourself, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Hi Skepitcal.

There have been a number of interesting documentaries on the Black Death on British TV recently and some can be found on YouTube. Like the series which starts here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IjhQ...x=0&playnext=1

The impact of the Black Death on Europe was phenominal, in Hertfordshire, England alone over sixty towns and villages were wiped off the map completely, and driving around England you can still see churches standing alone in open fields where once there would have been a thriving agricultural community. These so called plague churches are a physical testiment to the tauma caused by the black death.

However, econmically and polictically the black death finaly heralded the demise of the old feudal ties between the nobility and the peasant. The lack of peasants due to the effects of the plague forced the surviving nobility to compete for the services of those that survived and gave the peasant economic power to demand payment for his services. It also gave rise to the term 'moonlighting', where peasant would work late into the night by moonlight for other lords and ladies in return for money.

The high mortality amongst the nobility also destablised the geo-political situation across Europe, ironically amongst all the death, it created yet more death and destruction by spawning numerous military conflicts as men fought over the lands that suddenly became available.

It even affected architecture, it undermined peoples beleif in God and the church and spawrned numerious new religions.

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

Can you kind people please rate my introduction to my DBQ essay on silver flow through out the world in the 1500s? The documents deal with the effects of the silver on the Europeans and the Chinese
    The Early Modern Period, spanning from the 1500s to the 1800s, was a period of great change a globalization within the world. Up until then, most of the world cultures were separate a rarely interacted with one another, only occasionally interacting by distant slow trade routes. The wealth of the Americas and improved shipping practices, along with a general feeling of imperialism greatly changed the course of world history forever. Of the many different economic and social practices that changed, the trade of silver vastly affected socioeconomics in in nearly all parts on civilized world. Much of this wealth came from Spanish mines in the new world, which were also joined by mines in Feudal Japan. The silver mined in these places created great wealth and trade for those involved. The huge volume of newly mined silver in the Early Modern Period caused great changed in both society and the economies of all the nations involved in the new global trade network. Many changes were felt in far reaching places such as China where it destroyed the barter system, and over all, the silver put western powers to the forefront of the new global market.

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

I need to write a 2500 word essay on 'How important were political and economic factors in the Christianization of Vikings'. But I can't really come up with a plan/guide/structure.

So far, this is what I have in terms of an essay plan:

Intro

Nothing so far.

Part A

Viking society. Viking society functioned differently under the Old Norse religion to Christian societies of the time. The Old ways were arguably beneficial to the majority of people. Christianity however was beneficial to the King, as it made him annointed by God. This served as a political incentive. Viking economy before Christianization was based on the circulation of treasure and captives gained by plunder.

Part B

Viking society after Christianizatin. Christian society allowed for landlords and overlords. In Viking society beforehand, if landlords demanded too high a tribute, the peasants could move to a different landlord. This changed with Christianity. Before, the landlords weren't much richer than the actual peasants. This was an important political factor as it allowed for an aristocracy to develop, leading ultimately the the 'pyramidical' Christian heirachy.

Part C

Possibly about the political climate of the countries neighbouring Scandinavia.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Atatürk; November 15, 2010 at 01:21 PM.