Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

Default Your Ancestors

This dosent have to do with the mod but its all Medieval history so DoTS team could find somethings useful. In this thread post info about your Medieval ancestors and share.

Johann von Trarbach(1530-?) was a rennaisance sculptur in the 16th century from Simmern. He sculpted tombs for the nobility of the Rineland Duchies Wurttemburg, and Nassau-Saarbrucken as well as making a trip to Antwerp for the Burgundian Dukes. He lived in the Moselle region Simmern and became the Mayor of Simmern in 1564 and held the title until he died. His most lasting work was the Sculptures in St Stephen's Church in Simmern.
    Last edited by sumskilz; October 07, 2010 at 03:38 AM.

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin4 View Post
    He sculpted tombs for the nobility of the Rineland Duchies Wurttemburg, and Nassau-Saarbrucken as well as making a trip to Antwerp for the Burgundian Dukes.
    Your ancestor worked for MY kings
    Last edited by brennas; May 28, 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

On my asian side: my ancestors were part of the royal court of the Maldives. And on the Iberian: peasants, I guess...

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Quote Originally Posted by TallaFerroXIV View Post
    On my asian side: my ancestors were part of the royal court of the Maldives. And on the Iberian: peasants, I guess...
    At one generation every 20 years, in 1340 you would have had 4,294,967,296 living ancestors on your Iberian side alone (not accounting for inbreeding). Considering that the population of Iberia was only about 9,000,000 at the time, it is a near statistical certainty that every Iberian living in 1340 (whose line has not died out) is your ancestor and so is every one of their ancestors.
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 31, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: reprehensible spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

My ancestors are the Baltic pagans. What can I tell you about us? We didn't do much for the greater part of a day. Went fishing and hunting. We were skilled with spear and bow, and at the end of a day we would go and pillage our neighbouring lands for provision and their beautiful girls. We like drinking and dancing and making up stories and songs, but because we are so backward, we can't write them down. Nevertheless, we carefully give our knowledge from generation to generation orally. In total we have more than 1 million dainas (Latvian folk-songs) which is rare amongst any nation. Women were great singers and men - great instrument players. We love playing pipes, trumpets, horns, kokles (a near relative of kantele), bagpipes and many other instruments. Our people are also eager traders and we are renowned for the amber that we obtain from the coasts of the sea. Many call our lands - Amberland.

However we know and care little of what happens beyond our forests. Our wives are great knitters and weavers. We have thousands of different ornamental symbols that we use and give special meaning to. We believe that they can bring us luck when crops are about to ripen or when the horns sound for war. We do not worship anything, unless giving our respects for the forces of nature can be called worshipping. We do however believe that there is a - Father of the Heavens and the mother of Earth - Mara as well as other deities that help them. We are simple people. We love both - hard work and merry-making. We have many festivities that are connected with our labours. Greatest among these are Winter solstice, Spring solstice, Summer solstice and harvest festival. Some of these have other names as well, but they were introduced by Christians because they matched their religious holidays. We believe that many "magical" things happen during these festivals and many a legend and tradition is tied with them.

The advantageous position of our land has attracted many a great lord from distant lands beyond the sea and to the east. The fierce and cruel men from Rus-land, the mighty seafarers of the northern coasts, Poles from the southern forests and the greatest scourge of all - the horned demons from lands unknown, bringing the sword and the cross. Most of our people knew nothing about this Jesus Christ, that the knights carried on their lips with pride.

German historians look at the Balts of 12. and 13. century as wild barbarians, that were enlightened by the culture and religion that Germans brought to our lands. It was not wholly so. At that time our social and cultural level was higher than most Geram knights will tell you today and we even managed to influence other nations. Our skilled craftsmen made durable casual items and luxurious celebratory clothing. As well as beautiful jewelry, great weapons and tools. To defend against enemies our fathers built strong wooden castles on hills and other inaccessible places. Some castles developed into larger settlements and had as much as 1000 dwellers. These were Tērvete, Talsi, Mežotne, Jersika, Kuldīga and others. There was not a single poor man in our lands! Prosperous took care of those in need, and if a thief could prove that he stole to feed the poor, he was released of his punishment.

Though our people have suffered a lot from the swords of the foreigners we have fought back with great determination. In 1106 at the banks of Daugava our brave warriors defeated Rus' forces and they lost more than 9000 men. Latgalians often went into the Rus' lands in vengeance for their burning and pillaging. The Cours (or Kurshi - a nation living in the West of Latvia) have defeated Viking warriors in our own land and in the sea. In 854. they crushed a Danish fleet, took half of their ships, gold, silver and weapons. And because Cours built good ships themselves they oft went pillaging Viking lands as a response. It isrecorded that the Danes have prayed in their churches: "God, save us from the wrath of Cours!"
    Against the German knights we have had many battles and fruitless victories, but the greatest of them all was Battle of Saule (literally - Sun). Many a a song and tale has been made in honour of this greatest of deeds. A great force of Germans and those that they forced in their army was marching towards Lithuania. But after spending a night in a boggy terrain they woke up to find themselves surrounded by thousands of our warriors. 50 knights including the Grand Master were slaughtered. Their heavy cavalry was useless in the bog. Those of the enemy who managed to escape, were met by Semigallian swords. Only one in ten of them returned home from the 3000 men strong army. This deed released us from the domination of the Order and the strength of Lithuania was growing...

lol

Quote Originally Posted by brennas View Post
    Your ancestor worked for MY kings
    Uh i dont know im German your Catelonian. Were the Burgundian Dukes related to the Kings of Aragon?

If anyone wants to know i have a huge amount of info on my ancestors my mother finds new ancestors every day im not kidding. Johann von Trarbach was the most confirmed. But there are stories ranging from my ancestors from being peasents to descendents of Vikings to one funny story about trying to become Holy Roman Emperor

Ed..that reply might kinda be interpreted in the wrong way, haha.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskin4 View Post
    Uh i dont know im German your Catelonian. Were the Burgundian Dukes related to the Kings of Aragon?
    I'm NOT Catalonian, I'm Aragonese (don't worry, it is a common error here in TWC). The title of Duke of Burgundy was owned by the Habsburg kings of Spain since 1482 (Philip the Handsome was the first). Since the Habsburg were kings of Aragon too, yes, we can say the Burgundian Dukes were our kings

Quote Originally Posted by brennas View Post
    I'm NOT Catalonian, I'm Aragonese (don't worry, it is a common error here in TWC). The title of Duke of Burgundy was owned by the Habsburg kings of Spain since 1482 (Philip the Handsome was the first). Since the Habsburg were kings of Aragon too, yes, we can say the Burgundian Dukes were our kings
    Sorry about that i need to research more into the Pyrennese regions. Of course Charles V i shouldve remembered that thanks

Generic Welsh Peasant #5

He was an inspiration to us all...

Quote Originally Posted by YetiFatMan View Post

Generic Welsh Peasant #5

He was an inspiration to us all...

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Normans, Indians, Spanish, my Mum's family were Huguenots and made their money making lace
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Well, now honestly, my ancestors were Castillian on major part and Aragonese. As every Iberian, I supose I have a bit of everything in Middle Ages: Goth, Sephardi, Moor, Bereber, maybe Slav, Syrian, Frank, Alan, Swabian, Vandal...

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Norwegian and German
    I do not know any specific names of ancestors but from what i'm guessing, one of my ancestors was a viking, who settled near Friesland (in Lower Saxony) and integrated into the culture.
    I can say, however, that i'm related to Jesse James

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Proud Czech with a German name. I was able to track my ancestors to 17th century but not any further unfortunately. The German name in my family appeared because of an Austrian merchant. That's all I was able to find out in the archives

Baerke Hinn Gauzki's Avatar Senator
    I have absolutely no bloody clue. Somewhere in Sweden I THINK...

My ancestors were probably raping and pillaging vikings.. Probably split between Norwegean and western swedish peasents and rabble and so on..
    Though it would be kinda cute to find out more.. I don't really know if I want to..!

Cro-Magnon. Perhaps a little Neanderthal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
    Perhaps a little Neanderthal.
    You too??? It is always great to find relatives on the Internet, isn't it?

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast