Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best use of 2-Handers?

Default Re: Best use of 2-Handers?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    "especially when you tire the defenders out with lower quality orcs..."

Such callous disregard for hu... orc life! How can you be so cold-hearted? They're pe... orcs too!
    They are arrow fodder for the will of Saruman.
    Forward, march!

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Shock troops supported by heavy infantry, prefferably with shield-wall. Place the shield units as an anvil in an easily defended position and position the 2h's so they can surround the attacking enemy and take them in the back.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

2-hand weapons were used against heavy armor, as one-handed bounced on: 2-handed should be AP weapons.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

As has been said already, they make excellent flankers and shock troops. They're also useful for looking scary. If you're like every other modder out there, you like to, well, mod things. Add the trait to your two-handed units which makes them scary to units around them and you've turned them into effective terror weapons whos charge can break lines. Voila, you've given them more depth on the battle field while not straying so far out of the realm of plausibility,

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    As has been said already, they make excellent flankers and shock troops. They're also useful for looking scary. If you're like every other modder out there, you like to, well, mod things. Add the trait to your two-handed units which makes them scary to units around them and you've turned them into effective terror weapons whos charge can break lines. Voila, you've given them more depth on the battle field while not straying so far out of the realm of plausibility,
    Interesting but you can debate whether they would be scary against elves and orcs not just humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Warlord View Post
    However, the best use of 2hers I have found is to use them to defend chokepoints, like settlement gates and bridges. Enemy archer fire will be ineffective, and the enemy can't use charges with cavalry or infantry. And, as has been said by someone else, 2hers will destroy cavalry in melee. In vanillla M2TW, I used 20 units of Zweihander to defend Antioch against 8 full Mongol armies. I ended up with only one full unit at the end, but all the Mongols were defeated.
    Also interesting, I will have to try that out.

"2-handed should be AP weapons"

And they are, except for swords.

Yea, I don't use sword two handers Unless there's a rebel settlement/army and I want a flashy battle, then I'll throw them in

Of course, no weapon should have AP at all, but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Yea, I don't use sword two handers Unless there's a rebel settlement/army and I want a flashy battle, then I'll throw them in
    Which is all the time for me. Come on Eldar Swords and Battle Dunedain are *sooo coool*

Quote Originally Posted by DrDragun View Post
    Which is all the time for me. Come on Eldar Swords and Battle Dunedain are *sooo coool*
    Okay Eldar units don't count, they're good against any unit you put them up against I don't care how cool the BD are, their recruitment cost doesn't pay for their battle ability, since all they're really useful for is flanking and taking out fodder units. That's why I keep cavalry But I always keep at least one unit if I plan to seige as my wall-clearers.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

With Silvan Elves, after a general's bodyguard has used all it's arrows, I send them in as two-handed infantry unit. They are some of your best early units.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

2h wep users (especially 2h swordsmen) are shock troopers (like berserkers for Isen) they are used in sync with your frontline troops (1h wep w/ shield) who hold the enemy in place while you move around to the flank and charge into the enemy and cut them to pieces. simple.

Elaborate please.
    I don't like AP or any unnecessary (most, IMHO) attribute, so I'm wondering if you, PB or other RR/RC geeks are making progresses toward the goal of getting rid of them.
    Thanks for your time.

And sorry for the OT...

I don't know that I agree with that. Historically, there were definitely weapons that were designed and readily utilized to minimize the protection afforded by armor and inflict great injury despite the fact that the target was armored. Granted, I'm not saying that fully half of the injury (which would have occurred to an unarmored body) bypassed the armor, but certain weapons were certainly used to inflict greater damage to an unarmored opponent.

Or are you referring to a strictly in-game standpoint?

You mean to an armoured opponent?

I am cooking up a system that dispenses with AP (although I think it might still be needed for the estoc and the war hammer), and I'll put it up for review in the SS forum.

Weapons that were designed to defeat armour were heavy at one end in order to transfer more energy to the body of the enemy. All that means is a bigger attack number. The hard part is balancing that with defense stat and attack delay and animation.

I'm aware of the physics behind the weapons, and why they were effective at defeating armor.

I suppose boosting the attack number would be a decent substitute, but I have to ask why you want to do it that way. The requisite balancing seems overly complicated.

Two Handed swords in TATW are some of the most fun units you can play with.

I mean, have you seen Isenard Beserkers vs Olog Hai?
    Forward, march!

It would not be a decent substitute - it would be the correct way of doing it. It's slapping AP on weapons that's the easy way out.

"I have to ask why you want to do it that way. The requisite balancing seems overly complicated."

Because I like things to be as good as possible.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

What does removing ap make better if there is no difference in the actual battle?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast