Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    That was more to do with the question asked than anything else. Talking about other games in relation to what has inspired us for the series could lead to people taking it the wrong way if we talked about certain titles or "oh why don't you play this game to inspire you". I will quite happily tell what games I'm playing at the moment (a lot, and I mean a lot of FM2011, Space marine, DX:HR, BF:BC2). I hope you can understand though why we are more cautious when talking about games not made by use in relation to the series.
    Much obliged good sir. Maybe I'll see you on Bad Company 2 one of these days.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    @Jack Lusted, and people who read my post
    I know what your saying, but cant you see that it kind of undermines the concept of interviewing? Right now I regret that I didn’t know about the restrictions made on the people being interviewed, so in that sense im sorry for being dramatic about this, but I cant help but feel that it’s a bit off having interviews where people aren’t really allowed to talk about the things the people actually wants to hear.
    Unfortunately that is always likely to happen in the games industry, people will always want to know about things we can't talk about such as what our next game will be. We will be as open and honest as we can, but to some questions we just can't give answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus View Post
    Would you like them to respond in relation to item 16.

So, why Shogun 2 is not mod friendly? Do not you think it is killing the mod community?
    This thread has our answer on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Interesting interview.
    Truth is hiden behind words though.

In other words:
    Stop modding because we will not be able to sell new DLCs. CA wants to make money and modders offer their services free. That's not fair.

That is not what he is saying at all, people have made mods for Empire and Napoleon that have basically done what some of the DLCs have and we do not mind that. What we do care about is people trying to unlock paid for content for free. That is what we would have a problem with.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    I'm actually really interested in hearing what kinds of games they play in their free time. Why would they feel the need to censor themselves about that?
    I play just about everything, I'm a massive PC gamer. At the moment I'm playing a lot of:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Minecraft
    EVE Online
    Football Manager 2011
    Company of Heroes
    VVVVVV
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I'm actually going to Minecon in Vegas in Novemeber - not for work, just for fun

Only reason I might have come across as cautious is people tend to read things into your answers. I didn't want people to assume we were making Football Manager: Total War based on the amount of playtime I'm giving it at the mo (believe it or not, that does happen).
    Last edited by CraigTW; September 20, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    A nice interview, although it is a shame they do not want to name the era they would choose themselves.
    Personally, I've always been a massive fan of medieval history, particularly English medieval history, so I'd love to see another Medieval: Total War at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Interesting interview.
    Truth is hiden behind words though.

In other words:
    Stop modding because we will not be able to sell new DLCs. CA wants to make money and modders offer their services free. That's not fair.

Absolutely not what I'm saying whatsoever. If you've read any of my posts, you'll know that I'm extremely pro-modding, as is Jack. However, it's important to distinguish between modding and cracking. Making that clear can really help us push modding internally.

By the way - big thanks to Belisarius for being so patient with us while we put this interview together!
    Last edited by CraigTW; September 20, 2011 at 03:15 AM.

I would have asked them why we had to wait 6 months after release to have the loan swords bug fixed and why again after 6 months since release multiplayer is full of bugs and cheaters while games like Starcraft 2 are nearly perferct since dayone and have continuous patches and balance fix.

Gralachthule's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer86 View Post
    I would have asked them why we had to wait 6 months after release to have the loan swords bug fixed and why again after 6 months since release multiplayer is full of bugs and cheaters while games like Starcraft 2 are nearly perferct since dayone and have continuous patches and balance fix.
    While I'm personally not happy about the state of Loan Swords as well, give them some credit; comparing Starcraft to TW is just not fair from many perspectives. Starcraft is a Game heavily influenced by Pro Gaming and as such has an entire industry behind its normal marketing; it is pretty clear that Blizzard has nearly unlimited resources to balance the a game. Starcraft 1/2 are the only games that have ever reached such a level of popularity and are probably the most balanced / bug free RTS games on the market for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Gralachthule View Post
    While I'm personally not happy about the state of Loan Swords as well, give them some credit; comparing Starcraft to TW is just not fair from many perspectives. Starcraft is a Game heavily influenced by Pro Gaming and as such has an entire industry behind its normal marketing; it is pretty clear that Blizzard has nearly unlimited resources to balance the a game. Starcraft 1/2 are the only games that have ever reached such a level of popularity and are probably the most balanced / bug free RTS games on the market for years to come.

You are right probably i have chosen the wrong comparison. Anyway 6 months just to change two numbers on the loan swords statistics in unacceptable.

thanks for your time guys.
    member of S.I.N.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Unfortunately that is always likely to happen in the games industry, people will always want to know about things we can't talk about such as what our next game will be. We will be as open and honest as we can, but to some questions we just can't give answers.

This thread has our answer on that.

That is not what he is saying at all, people have made mods for Empire and Napoleon that have basically done what some of the DLCs have and we do not mind that. What we do care about is people trying to unlock paid for content for free. That is what we would have a problem with.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Absolutely not what I'm saying whatsoever. If you've read any of my posts, you'll know that I'm extremely pro-modding, as is Jack. However, it's important to distinguish between modding and cracking. Making that clear can really help us push modding internally.

By the way - big thanks to Belisarius for being so patient with us while we put this interview together!
    Forgive me if i misunderstand what you say.
    But does your words could mean a full unlock of the game after 2-3 years when there will be no new DLCs?
    Then why CA did not help modding community wiyh still locked files (like world ones) for M2TW that is a game of 5 years old?
    Cracking is a very serius crime indeed. but company's policy is/will be not only for S2 but also for previus games.
    Facts :
    In interviews CA admits that M2TW and RTW sold as many copies in their "2nd" life as in their 1st couple of years.
    If that's true did the modding communities help in this promotion?
    If yes why CA still refuses to unlock features of those old games?
    If that restriction exists for old games how can we expect a CA's help in modding (fully modding and not just recoloring) in newst games even after a couple of years?

I hope that my aufull english did not allow me to see a helpfull future in your answers.
    If that is the cause I apologise.
    AnthoniusII
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Nice and interesting but hell these guys have mastered the art of avoiding to answer the most interesting questions...

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

I found the interview a very nice read so well done to all involved.

Im not gonna nitpick about the sometimes evasive answers as this was to be expected of course.

However i,and i think the whole community would also very much like to hear from CA about questions raised about the ''Old games''(RTW and M2TW);as Why isnt there a more open approach towards the Modding community about releasing feature hardcoded unlocks and soforth.

A ''new'' policy of taking away some(or all) of the still hardcoded limits of the ''old'' games could only mean a rise of sales when new and more innovative Mods are being released in future.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Some hardcodes might be linked to the actual souce codes. I'm sure CA wont release that. Might have as well make games for free then.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Dubh the dark's Avatar Campidoctor

What I'd like to know is how much historical research goes into each game.

Does the CA office turn into Oxford for a few months each year?
    Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
    Noam Chomsky

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Nice interview, thanks for doing it. One question I have, anyway:what's next in terms of support for modding?

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

And when will you allow an optional non-Steam version of your games, Jack Lusted and Craig?

Very interesting read.

I think just about everyone plays Minecraft.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Well personally I liked the interview, sure it wasn't really in-depth in some places but I can fully understand that. My company has a whole ethics policy that probably employs a few full time lawyers on it's own (fortunately they're very big and can afford lawyer salary's!) so I can completely get why Jack and Craig didn't answer some specifics, because if they do it gets read as policy or a commitment.

That said, if and when another interview is given, I, like Dubh, would be interested in how much research is done and how - especially given Jack's work on RTR, the idea of regiments of flaming pigs from the original RTW is a bit silly in hindsight, so are we likely to ever see another release with such units (please no!)?

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    And when will you allow an optional non-Steam version of your games, Jack Lusted and Craig?
    They will let you know when the Origin version will be available.

http://store.origin.com/

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They haven't "locked" their Warscape games and there's nothing underhanded going on. The games are starting to get more complicated and as that happens it's becoming more difficult to make changes.

It's not complicated guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    I play just about everything, I'm a massive PC gamer. At the moment I'm playing a lot of:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Minecraft
    EVE Online
    Football Manager 2011
    Company of Heroes
    VVVVVV
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I'm actually going to Minecon in Vegas in Novemeber - not for work, just for fun

Only reason I might have come across as cautious is people tend to read things into your answers. I didn't want people to assume we were making Football Manager: Total War based on the amount of playtime I'm giving it at the mo (believe it or not, that does happen).
    Definitely approve of the CoH, have you tried out that Eastern Front mod?
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast