Thread: Request for the tutorial: How to create the flags

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Icon7 Request for the tutorial: How to create the flags

Hello,

I would be really happy if someone could post step-by-step tutorial how to change in-game flags. We know that there are 19 flags in Ui/flags but how to edit them in photoshop?? Lets say we have some historical flag and we want to implement it into the game. So what we must do. Some guide would really help. Thx for replies.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Request for the tutorial: How to create the flags

Noone?? So thank you very much...

Fingon
    I didnt use photoshop so i cant help you there waiting to get my photoshop copy but its as easy as unpacking the files you need and using a simple image editor and cutting out the old flag and then editing your flag and insert it into the old flag so you can size it up right and repack it but the MOST IMPORTANT PART IS MAKE SURE WHEN YOU REPACK YOUR MODIFIED FILES THAT THERE FOLDER IS IN THE DATA FOLDER OF YOUR ETW DIRECTORY FOLDER :C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data better yet when you unpack the rigidmodels and UI folder unpack them into your C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data because when u want to repack them if there not in your data folder u wont be able to repack and use them ok so back to where i was
    then use your DDS converter program and convert them into a bmp or png and change the output folder to something maybe in your documents like i did then edit the files to your liking for the flag then when your are done make sure to convert them back either to TGA or DDS remember that if your not sure about if u need to convert it too TGA or DDS remember that the UI folder files are all TGA and Rigidmodels folder files are in DDS format when i get my photoshop i give u a step by step picture tutorial to help but might be a few days ordered my copy of photoshop last night
    i know this really didnt help much as far as editing goes but your best bet is too unpack it for fun then mess around with them editing wise to get the feel of photoshop and see what u can do wish i could help u with photoshop but im clueless until i get mine
    Last edited by msldta; April 08, 2009 at 10:37 PM.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for reply. I know how to unpack the flags, I wanted to know how to create a new flag from scratch, because someone here posted that there is a white flag used for retreating troops. So that I can use it and edit it in PS. Then its also hard to make the animated flags that u see in flags folder. But thats another story. I see noone has created its own animated flags yet.

Use pack file manager open your models pack,then expand rigidmodels, flags, textures and in texture expand there is whiteflag.dds thats the one Cainrae was talking about

Lot of posts around with guides
    http://www.gamersgate.com?caff=1905421
    Support GamersGate! The cheaper solution to online gaming. Note, when clicking the link above you'll be giving me a "blue coin" score (Discounts). If you have no interest in such, use the following link: http://www.gamersgate.com

Mr. Scott's Avatar Primicerius

how do you change the flag for a faction?
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.” ― John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by msldta View Post
    Fingon
    I didnt use photoshop so i cant help you there waiting to get my photoshop copy but its as easy as unpacking the files you need and using a simple image editor and cutting out the old flag and then editing your flag and insert it into the old flag so you can size it up right and repack it but the MOST IMPORTANT PART IS MAKE SURE WHEN YOU REPACK YOUR MODIFIED FILES THAT THERE FOLDER IS IN THE DATA FOLDER OF YOUR ETW DIRECTORY FOLDER :C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data better yet when you unpack the rigidmodels and UI folder unpack them into your C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data because when u want to repack them if there not in your data folder u wont be able to repack and use them ok so back to where i was
    then use your DDS converter program and convert them into a bmp or png and change the output folder to something maybe in your documents like i did then edit the files to your liking for the flag then when your are done make sure to convert them back either to TGA or DDS remember that if your not sure about if u need to convert it too TGA or DDS remember that the UI folder files are all TGA and Rigidmodels folder files are in DDS format when i get my photoshop i give u a step by step picture tutorial to help but might be a few days ordered my copy of photoshop last night
    i know this really didnt help much as far as editing goes but your best bet is too unpack it for fun then mess around with them editing wise to get the feel of photoshop and see what u can do wish i could help u with photoshop but im clueless until i get mine
    This is a definite contender for run-on sentence of the year. I ran out of breath just reading it.

Is it possible to create one different flag for each units ? a specific flag for prussian dragoons, another flag for prussian grenadier etc etc....

No - The selection of the used flag is within the faction_table, so it is done by faction not by unit.
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265

Mr. Scott's Avatar Primicerius

whenever I change the flags in the UI and texture files, etc. the flags in the campaign don't change. But all the rest does. Any help?
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.” ― John Maynard Keynes

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by scottypd54 View Post
    whenever I change the flags in the UI and texture files, etc. the flags in the campaign don't change. But all the rest does. Any help?
    rigidmodels/flags

Quote Originally Posted by msldta View Post
    Fingon
    Can someone make this easier to understand/read?

I request this either be updated for simplicity's sake or removed from the tutorial list. It's completely incomprehensible. It doesn't mention what files need to be edited, or even how you edit them. All I see is "Convert" and "I don't have photoshop". Not to mention the various contradictions. Please, clean it up or remove it.

Hello,
    I've managed to make all the flags of Hannover to East Frisia flags and it works well. However, it arisen the following problem: The images of flags, which are not completely filled by a flag, have a black background in my game. This looks very bad. So can anybody help me with my problem?

Problem solved: The converter did not work right. With another it worked.