Quote Originally Posted by goro View Post
    ?i meant that if you don't craft in master the game is very difficult
    My mistake

goro's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: New DLC : Dragonborn

Yeah sentences without punctuation can be misleading

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    Karstaag like I said is unmarked, there is a point on the map aptly named, so you should find the connection easy. You have to find his skull first before you can actually summon and fight him, but the fight is well worth it. When you defeat him you get a little goodie as well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This has been seriously messing with my head now. I am 100% positive that I fought a frost giant (ghost possibly) in the Forgotten Vale. The mini-quest (which could have been unmarked) involved returning his skull to a throne or something, then he appears and you fight him. After defeating him I received a "summon karstaag" spell in which he could only be summoned 3 times. That was months ago, on my first playthrough of Dawnguard. Am I going insane? This must be from some mod I had, because in looking him up, he first appears in Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind. Also his castle is on Solstheim, correct? Sooo..... does anyone know what mod is responsible for karstaag's ghost in the Forgotten Vale? I do remember him being very tough, I believe I had to switch to a vampire lord for extra strength. It'll be interesting to fight him again on Solstheim, of course with an even more powerful vampire
    Last edited by mike^_^; February 23, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: for spoiler

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Could it be that 'The Bigger They Are' or 'The Bigger They Come' quest mod? I know that adds a humongous giant to fight.

Actually, the wiki says that you get a power to summon Karstaag after defeating him, but he becomes hostile after becoming attacked three times. Doesn't say if you have to be the attacker, though.

Nah, never heard of that mod. It wasn't a regular frost giant. I am almost certain that he was named Karstaag, and his ghost appeared after I put his skull on a throne (persumably, "Karstaag's Skull"), upon defeating him I was given a ... power, I believe, to summon him three times. Only months ago.. and in the Forgotten Vale. It's too bad I don't have that save anymore, to know for 100% what the summonable frost giant's name was. Very wierd that whoever made that mod, Bethesda's Karstaag is exactly the same, with the same exact power granted upon defeat. I will be going to the Forgotten Vale shortly, I still have generally the same list of mods.. hopefully I run into the mini-quest again

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hey, I remember that actually! It was in the Falmer castle thingy before you met with the bad guy, but I'm pretty sure it was a regular frost giant.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

So he wasn't named from what you remember? Did you return a skull to a throne, and then he appeared? Hmm.. I do remember a frost giant in one of the rooms in the chantry.. this is indeed a regular frost giant, there is no mini-quest involving a skull involved, and you don't receive a summon spell upon defeating him. Unless you are proposing another frost giant linked to a throne/skull in the chantry?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well, I know I placed a crown or something on a throne or similar after which he woke up. That must've been what you remember too.

You're talking about the frost giant that carries the http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ruby_Paragon? He's not named, and doesn't give you a summon power upon defeat. The frost giant connected to a crown/throne, how did you know to put the crown/skull on the throne/altar? Was it a journal book you picked up? I remember reading a journal telling me to put the skull/crown on the throne/altar. I am almost 100% positive that this frost giant was named, because I remember how I was eager to see him face off against dragons. I even recall summoning him in the middle of a bandit camp, because I simply wanted to see what it did. Do all frost giants have that blizzard environmental effect? This one did.

Nah, normal frost giants are just like stronger (yes) normal giants, but look like an abomination. All frost giants are unnamed and carry a Paragon.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Kaarstag also apparently has the ability to summon things when his health gets lowered, completely different from a normal frost giant.

It was a rhetorical question SturmChurro. We are all well aware what frost giants look like, and what their capabilities are. What was being brainstormed, was which mod was possibly responsible for a named frost giant ghost (most likely Karstaag, though I cannot definitively remember.) in the Forgotten Vale, who upon defeat gives you a summon (frost giant name) spell. The mini-quest, which may or may not be unmarked in the journal, involves a skull or crown being returned to a throne or altar, and I remember being directed to this from a journal/note I picked up somewhere. I am only curious about finding out where it comes from, because as I said, it was months ago, before Dragonborn was released. It is curious because the effects of the summon spell were identical to the Karstaag reward in Dragonborn.

Unfortunately, I have just made a clean sweep of the Forgotten Vale with a new character. I could not find anything like what I described. It appears that I no longer have the mod responsible loaded, or that I am insane and this never existed in the first place.

Maybe you are getting things mixed up. Best not to delve on it. I have driven myself crazy with things like this..

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

You are not insane, you just remember things wrong I think I remember that same frost giant in the Snow Elf castle thingy, but he was NOT named and I can't say I got a spell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    You are not insane, you just remember things wrong I think I remember that same frost giant in the Snow Elf castle thingy, but he was NOT named and I can't say I got a spell out of it.
    -->

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    You're talking about the frost giant that carries the http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ruby_Paragon? He's not named, and doesn't give you a summon power upon defeat.
    Precisely. The frost giant in the chantry that carries the Ruby Paragon is not named, does not grant a summoning spell upon defeat, does not summon ice wraiths, and does not utilize a blizzard attack. I just went through it again yesterday, and killed all the frost giants carrying the paragons. There is no skull or crown connected with any of them that hold the paragons. The frost giant that holds the Ruby Paragon is walking around in one of the rooms of the chantry the entire time, he is not awakened with a skull or crown and a throne/altar. I did it as a vampire with detect auras, he is 100% awake the whole time.

What are you saying here? :

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Hey, I remember that actually! It was in the Falmer castle thingy before you met with the bad guy, but I'm pretty sure it was a regular frost giant.
    Which is in response to this post :

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    Nah, never heard of that mod. It wasn't a regular frost giant. I am almost certain that he was named Karstaag, and his ghost appeared after I put his skull on a throne (persumably, "Karstaag's Skull"), upon defeating him I was given a ... power, I believe, to summon him three times. Only months ago.. and in the Forgotten Vale. It's too bad I don't have that save anymore, to know for 100% what the summonable frost giant's name was. Very wierd that whoever made that mod, Bethesda's Karstaag is exactly the same, with the same exact power granted upon defeat. I will be going to the Forgotten Vale shortly, I still have generally the same list of mods.. hopefully I run into the mini-quest again

Characters and story seem like a big improvement over the base game.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    Characters and story seem like a big improvement over the base game.
    I just wish there were more of them.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Finished it, went to all the dungeons and did all the book thingies. Throughoutly enjoyable and took a lot of time. I too started around lvl 6, I cant stand wasting a expatiation pack on a character that is capable of murdering his way through the game without breaking a sweat. I also played as a sword and board character with natural smith skills and no enchanting whatsoever. At the beginning me and my follower Vilja was getting smacked around by Ash spawn, but it got progressively easier as i improved up until the level of 24, although those damn seekers got me a good number of times. A freakishly annoying enemy.