View Poll Results: How is Rohan's difficulty level compared to other Third Age factions you've played?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Easy

6 6.32%
  • Easy

12 12.63%
  • Moderate

25 26.32%
  • Hard

33 34.74%
  • Very Hard

5 5.26%
  • Row hand you say? I'm confused.

14 14.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohan Faction Thread

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Rohan Faction Thread

TATW: Rohan, Strategy Guide for New Players.

In respect to the players, the modders... This thread is dedicaded to give tips, hints, where to go, what do do, while playing as Rohan. I am the co-writer of: Strategy Guide for New Players of Deus lo Vult. With the blessing of team, I will contribute for this mod aswell. I will also constantly add information on this post and [ quote ] if your post holds importent materials. With +Rep and Credit, offcourse. Feel free to PM me if I overlooked your V.I.Post. ...This is just the begining.

The Kingdom of Rohan

"Riders of Rohan! Oaths you have taken, now fulfill them all, to lord and land! "
    + Getting started as Rohan [2954 AD]

Streangths:
    Relies on quick and powerful cavalry.

Weaknesses:
    Lacks good heavy infantry.

Long Campaign: Victory conditions: Hold 60 regions, including: Kings Land, Helms Deep, Nan Curunir. Eliminate factions: Mordor, Isengard.
    Short Campaign: Victory conditions: Hold 30 regions. Eliminate factions: Mordor.
    The kindom of Rohan starts of with 9 provinces in the south west corner of Middle earth. 5 Cities and 4 castles. 9 Generals and 1 spy. Large flat plains around each settlement gives good overview of incoming enemy forces. The Kingdom of Rohan border Isengard, to the north-west, and Gondor,to the south. Where the latter being your ally in arms. For future note, you have huge wall of mountain range and military access to grant you good defence from friendly settlers in the south.

+ Locations
    West Rohan
    East Rohan
    Isengard border, north Rohan and north-west Rohan
    Gondor Border, south Rohan

+ Unit roster of Rohan
    Royal Military Academy roster

+ Mini-mods related to Rohan faction
    Better cavalry engagement

In normal SGfNP fashion ...Some questions to get the Rohan ball rolling.
    1. Is Rohan Very Easy, Easy, Moderate, Hard, or Very Hard compared to other TW: Third Age factions you've played?

2. What is your opinion of Rohan's starting position/situation?

3. What rivals does Rohan always end up at war with?

4. Which factions are potentially dependable allies/trading partners?

5. What are some early- and mid. game strategies that have worked for you with Rohan?

6. What are some strategies that don't work for Rohan?
    Credit:
    - King kong and the whole Third Age-team for creating this super mod.
    - pajomife@iol.pt, for creating Better cavalry engagement-mini mod.

I'm Blackleaf-Wille, co-writer of SGfNP, and I see you around Middle earth some day.
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; April 28, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Default Re: Rohan Faction Thread

In my campaign, by turn 40 Rohan (AI) is already wiped out by Isengard (AI).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I won't make this into a spoiler thread or a AAR thread, but as I play now...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ...If you have not played Rohan, don't look...
    this is the last warning...
    I'm not bull you
    ...well as I play as Rohan, and now, by turn 20.... I got a invasion coming my way, just after taking down Isengard, the Citedal/capital in a 1:2 battle. Will be fun to see the enemy trample on my fields. Until now, I have merly kept them of my land with cavalry. But it is so close every time.

loats of fun with this faction. The best part is that I don't have to crawl on the campaign map, because this time I have a full cavalry stack.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

What's "Row" "Hand"? Hmmmm, must be a type of sanitizer for fisherman.
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Code_Knight View Post
    What's "Row" "Hand"? Hmmmm, must be a type of sanitizer for fisherman.
    rohan - row hand

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; April 28, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

you might want to change the word rooster into roster completely different things

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Rohan are just as strong as any other faction, the only annoying this about them is that...

Don't look if you haven't played them yet.
    I know, this is a rip-off idea, but really, don't.
    Seriously!
    Dude, trust me on this.
    TRUST ME!
    All-right, your fault.
    EVERYONE attacks you! Everyone!
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    rohan - row hand
    I know, I was teasing
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Does anyone know how to defend against the early invasion that is always called on Edoras? I am getting pounded in my campaign and i am out of cash!

Some clever cavalry micromanagement on the battlefield.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Some clever cavalry micromanagement on the battlefield.
    Or cavalry combined with archers !

Foederatus
    Zagreb, Croatia, Europe, Third Rock from the Sun

There is one simple formula for Rohan:

cavalry archers + retreat when you ran out arrows = lot of dead Orcs, zero casualties

you'll have lots of battles listed as lost but who cares about losing battles as long as you win the war, just ask Pyrrhus

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

I tried a Rohan campaign with the new patch some days ago and o boy what was it a very hard campaign (lasted about 100 turns). First of all with the new economy you hardly have any income, you can build one stack in the field at most and not go broke at the same time. And since you have to defend a lot of terrain you really have to be creative.

Against my war with Isengard I noticed that eorling militia are pretty much useless and I wasn't impressed by the performance of the eorling axeman either. So at some point my army consisted only of helmingas + scouts + bodyguard (dies very fast!). This way I really minimized the casualties with maximum damage. So better use this strategy if you don't want to retrain your units constantly. Dealing with Isengard was not the problem in my campaign but all the good guys (I allied with all of them) were dying. Gondor had only 3 settlements let after 65 turns, Eriador died somehow very fast after there was an invasion on Bree, SE got powned by Mordor, Dale by Rhun & Mordor and HE did in my camapign absolutely nothing (even made a ceasefire with OoTMM).

The result of this was that Mordor was able to send full stacks south-east through Minas Tirith and north-east through former SE terrain every 10 turns. After a succesfull invasion on Edoras (there was really nothing I could do against those Olog-hai) and playing constant river battles I reallized it was basically a lost campaign; Mordor became to strong and dominated the campaign map. So if you want a challenging campaign with fighting a lot of enemies I would definitely recommend Rohan and pray your allies don't fail you.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Well, in comparison to other factions I played (With different patches, so I can't take changes into account):

Harder than: Sylvan Elves, High Elves, Harad, Mordor, Rhun
    About the same difficulty as: Gondor, Dwarves, Dale
    Easier than: Isengard, OotMM

So I would vote for hard as it is beyond average...

Rohan is my favorite faction, and always the first one I play when a new version comes out. A few random thoughts:
    • Unless you realllllly want a challenge, you need to rush Isengard. The number one priority early is Isengard, period.
      • IF you take them out quickly, Eriador and HE will keep OOTMM busy for some time and you will be able to build economy and help Gondor.
      • If you don't, then they will hit you soon enough, and usually about the same time Mordor calls that first invasion at Edoras.
    • It sounds crazy, but you can OWN on sieges, I love defending Edoras and Hornburg.
      • You only need about 3 units of archers (build the Helms Deep ones!) and ballista towers in Edoras. For some reason, the AI is weakest in siege attacking. Always rush your horses out front gate, hit ALL siege equipment moving towards you, and scatter. AI WILL chase you, all the while your archers and towers are peppering them. as soon as they get sick of chasing you, and turn back, charge them in the back.
      • You should end that initial siege with 4-6 units of cavalry that have at least silver chevron experience, and some good loot of ransom money. They will panic at some point and run, and you have all horse to run them down and get mass prisoners. You can use for money, dread or chivalry, you decide!
    • DO head straight west with one good stack ,and get Dunharrow, Derwath and Lond Angren. One decent stack will do it, the latter two are poorly defended.
    • DO go make friends with HE. Derwath and Lond Angren can build ports, and with trade agreements with HE, they will be cash cows for you, with very little risk of ever being attacked.
    • DO recognize that Isengard AND Duneard have garrison scripts.
    • Tactics
      • Stretch and hit. You can out move all your enemies, so don't be afraid to retreat, and then charge from different angles as enemies get stretched out coming after you.
      • This stretch tactic works great on enemy generals as well. I have killed Saruman a number of times when his sloooooow moving bodyguards fall behind his main stack who is chasing my slowly retreating army. I send two to three heavy cavalry and charge from a few different directions, and suddenly you have some very scared Uruks when papa is dead...
      • Live to fight again - you have undoubtedly the best guerilla tactics stacks in the game. You should have a stack with lots of missle cavalry. There is nothing wrong with going in to a battle, using all your ammo, and retreating. Depending on movement points, the AI may come attack you the very next turn, but POOF, you will have full arrows again, and they will have a lot less troops.
      • Hammer and meat anvil - by this I mean, Rohan has a wonderful cheap unit. Eorling axemen are available immediately, and have AP. Engage with milita, bring up axemen, and flank with cavalry to bring down the hammer. This basic tactic will work the whole game, trolls included. In fact, just for fun, go do a custom battle and have two units of riddermark axe go toe to toe with one unit of cave trolls. You will be happily surprised, and the axe are cheaper.
      • As a side note, almost all of your cavalry have AP as a secondary weapon, so if they are attacking from behind, don't be afraid to let them pull out their axes, as long as cheap unit is engaging enemy from the front.
      • Javelin cavalry run out of ammo quickly, so choose targets wisely.
    • Random bits
      • More than any other faction, its usually worth your time to send units back to retrain. Say you are a dwarf Dragonslayer and you just got to Moria to help, you get to gold experience and you want to bring the unit up to full strength, then bring them back to upgrade to mithril armor. That can be a 20+ turn process! If on the other hand, you are a Rohan bodyguard unit and you are fighting in Goblin town and get lots ox EXP and want to bring that unit back to full strength, you can do that turn around in around 12-14 turns. That sounds like not that much, but its a big economic advantage.
      • In general, I think of stacks in two categories; all cavalry and others. The reason is cavalry stacks cover sooo much more ground. For instance, I usually end up with Tirith Anduin, so I have one cavalry stack supporting Woldburg, Entwade, and Tirith Anduin, since someone sitting next to Woldburg can offer support to all three. This becomes important mid game when Mordor stacks pop up on the eastern border and seem to show up on your doorstep rather quickly.
      • If you take out Isengard quickly, then SEND GONDOR HELP. Gondor almost always does really well if they can survive that turn 15-35 blitz that Harad and Mordor throw at them. If they don't, you will have your hands full. Plus its fun to roleplay that a little! The fires have been lit, will you send help or not?!?
      • Build roads first, period. Again, your main military advantage is a fast moving army, and roads multiply not just your trade but also leverage your militaries abilities.
      • Also, that means you can spend less resources building stables everywhere and more on economy. Why build a stable building (at first) in Guneard for instance when you can have horses there in 2 turns from Hornsburg? Not saying not to build them, butyou need to build economy first. Rohan does not have a great cash cow type of location, so leverage quick moving armies to let you focus on building up first.
      • I personally set taxes low until I have a wall archers can stand on in every settlement that borders possible enemies. The sally hit and run works best when they have towers and ladders.
      • Again, given your ability to run down routing enemies, you will be dealing with massive amounts of prisoners. I personally like to have generals like Eomer who piled them all up and burned them, so you can get to very high dread or chivalry quickly depending on your choices.
      • Plan invasions ahead. You will need some archers and infantry to hold the settlements once you keep them. If not, sack the city and give it to someone. You do not ever want to defend a city with only cavalry.
      • Never let an opportunity to recruit Helmingas go by without doing it. They are basically Eorling axemen with above average arrow attack and above average armor. IMO they are critical to a good army.
      • Last but not least, take advantage of the fast moving units to go DEEP in to the enemy territory to cause chaos once you have some extra economy. I once snuck a cavalry stack all the way to upper Khand, and THAT took the eye off of Frodo for sure... a lot easier to do that with horses, go Rohan!!!

Always, when I'm playing as Rohan:

Mordor kicks Gondor's a** and will destroy them between turn 40 and 70.
    After that they will keep coming in my lands...
    There's nothing I can do to survive, and of course they call their invasions on Edoras.
    I can't get enough money to get more armies on field, so...
    and I don't want to cheat

well, I like Rohan, their tactics and armor, I love their models!
    but it's not my favorite faction.

So, it think it's hard to play with them.
    A Eruchīn,u-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas.

You should have killed Isengard by turn 30, then go help Mordor make it thru advanced barracks event, then things look a lot different...

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

I'd say its one of the harder factions to play for sure

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Arįgion View Post
    Always, when I'm playing as Rohan:

Mordor kicks Gondor's a** and will destroy them between turn 40 and 70.
    After that they will keep coming in my lands...
    There's nothing I can do to survive, and of course they call their invasions on Edoras.
    I can't get enough money to get more armies on field, so...
    and I don't want to cheat

well, I like Rohan, their tactics and armor, I love their models!
    but it's not my favorite faction.

So, it think it's hard to play with them.
    I can feel ya. I did actually cheat in my campaign but only by giving SE and Gondor more money to counter Mordor, but I soon realized it is not the way how I want to play the game.

@tallstark
    Thanks for your tips & tricks (well earned +rep). Well definitely try some bits of your strategy out if I will try a new Rohan campaign. But (new) players should be aware that your options to be creative are very limited in the new 1.4 patch, because of the tough economy you have to deal with.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast