Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series | MISERY mod

Icon1 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series | MISERY mod

Is there anyone who plays to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?

I love this FPS/role-playing game! I think "MISERY" is the best mod of 2013.
    It's a full concept modification for Call of Pripyat, so MISERY setup requires CoP v.1.6.02.

Call of Pripyat takes you once again into the vicinity of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor that exploded in 1986. This so-called "Zone" is a highly contaminated area cordoned off by the military and now is combed through by the so-called stalkers, modern fortune hunters, in search of unique artifacts. In the role of Agent Alexander Degtyarev, who is dressed up as stalker, you have to investigate the mysterious disappearance of five military helicopters and thereby stand one’s ground against the various stalker groups.

What you think about it? Hard to believe I've been following this mod for over three years.

Thread powered by:

Last edited by rafmc1989; January 25, 2015 at 02:36 PM.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: MISERY mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Call of Pripyat never grasped me, it was the lamest of the tree for me and i couldnt find myself to continue very early on. The lack of a clear path of main missions (where you can meanwhile do side missions) like in the previous games just confuses you an makes you jump into situations you only realise you cant handle yet when you're halfway in the mission.

Played the games with complete mod, but will have a read on this.

MISERY 2.1 Cinematic Teaser:

Yes, there are new features and overhauls. With 2.1 this game is optimized and bug free. The atmosphere is super gritty and the textures are fantastic. Just love the level of difficulty and living on the edge from day to day. Short ammo, little food, No more CoD style play. NCP's and mutants can be deadly. It's very realistic, i'm impressed of this kind of FPS/role-playing game... and the "dark mode" start is a punishment!

Last edited by rafmc1989; May 05, 2014 at 07:39 AM.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Call of Pripyat never grasped me, it was the lamest of the tree for me and i couldnt find myself to continue very early on. The lack of a clear path of main missions (where you can meanwhile do side missions) like in the previous games just confuses you an makes you jump into situations you only realise you cant handle yet when you're halfway in the mission.

Heh are you talking about the side mission with the mercenaries in the big abandoned building in the first area?

(although, one of the early quest missions is similarly difficult, although you have stalker backup in that one. The one with the guy in the exosuit accompanied by mercs making a deal with the bandits)

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Call of Prypiat was like a big demo for "Stalker 3". Lets see what happens with this mod, thanks mate.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

STALKER 2 you mean. Never going to happen now unfortunately.

Anyway, MISERY is a damn fine mod. Though many of the same things that make you OP in STALKER vanilla are still OP. Headshot spam is still way too easy.
    The mod team are actually doing a Kickstarter for a post apoc interactive story atm
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Heh are you talking about the side mission with the mercenaries in the big abandoned building in the first area?

(although, one of the early quest missions is similarly difficult, although you have stalker backup in that one. The one with the guy in the exosuit accompanied by mercs making a deal with the bandits)
    Yeah i think i know which mission you mean. But its not only that one. You get lke missions to retrieve stuff in hazardous places for which you dont have a proper suit yet, and then there is that stuff between bandits and normal stalkers in that ship which i didnt knew i was going to get roped into.

Might reinstall it one day when i dont have anything else

In the "dark mode" you can't escape radioactivity during daytime. Even seva suit and radiopills won't protect you. I find it verry entertaining! On a sunny day there is no escape from it but; on a foggy one with my gasmask i was able to run around popping pills here and there... I got fried when i ran out of antirads and the fog cleared up though! It changes priorities thats for sure...

And stakers, this is the power of X-Ray Engine:

The X-Ray Engine is the name of the 3D game engine created by Kiev-based computer game developer GSC Game World. Released on 20 March 2007, the engine is used in the first three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games released by the company. An upgraded engine was planned for the cancelled game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and it has been included in many mods like MISERY too.
    The X-Ray Engine supports DirectX 8.1/9.0c/10/10.1/11 and Shader Model 5.0. The original X-Ray engine made for Shadow of Chernobyl was developed by GSC Game World's main programmers Oles Shiskovtsov and Aleksandr Maksimchuk.

Last edited by rafmc1989; May 09, 2014 at 08:07 AM.

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Im playing it and enjoying it. The engine is still frustrating though. I love STALKER. May go back and play the other two as well.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

I got to try it for a few hours before my old computer bit the bullet. I must admit, I was in love with the atmosphere from the very first frame onwards. Totally amazing. It took a while to learn how to play the game at the beginning (aka. don't try to do any missions, don't try to get artifacts, just run around like a meagre scavenger doing your best to scrape some cash together selling junk from your raids) but I think I could eventually get the hang of it. Felt really good finally making enough money to pay for a sunrise suit and a new shooter.

One thing that annoys me though, is the downside of a mod that goes for both extreme difficulty and realism. How realistic does it feel when you pour a whole clip into a charging dog's face, and then it kills you in a single bite?

The human vs human fighting got a lot more intense and fun, seeing as no longer are you running around popping bandages and easily slaughtering dozens of enemies. Now, I was pretty scared and could maybe kill off one or two guys from the sidelines but it was quite the team effort alongside my comrades to eventually pull through. When alone you're pretty much forced to rely on killing people with the element of surprise, though something else I found is that the same might happen to you, because (finally) there are no checks or boundaries to people just shooting you in the head on sight, and most of the lame distinguishing features between stalker and bandit seem to have been erased with the wild array of skins.

IIRC I still hadn't figured out how to use a lot of the stuff you can get access to (like those oils for repairing guns or something), but I definitely welcome the huge variety of immersive gear you can find, and the way everything has more consequence on gameplay, forcing you to spend more time at the bar weighing your options between sorties. The addition of classes you can choose from is also pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post

That's a shame. I was kind of disappointed that it didn't manage to revive the cold atmosphere that SoC had, but I found that it was definitely, definitely the most polished release in terms of features and gameplay, particularly when it came to the well-crafted and composite quests with multiple outcomes. I honestly found the difficulty pretty tolerable most of the time. Nothing like that ridiculous MG in the Cordon in Clear Sky.

"Alert, Stalker detected! Open fire!" *Opening Scene from Saving Private Ryan begins*

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post

Okay, taking Owl's mission and siding with Morgan in that fight wasn't a picnic, and that stealth mission with the mercenaries was pretty hellish, admittedly. But that's why I just skipped it and came back to it later-on. It didn't really feel out of place because you didn't have to do it by any means, and it's clear that Owl was pretty-much trying to downplay the risks involved, because he offers suicidal missions to desperate people for a living. Such a scumbag...
    Last edited by Inkie; March 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

I found an utility called SweetFX, which allows you to add various effects to your games, such as Bloom, simulated HDR and TECHNICOLOR filter, among others, with which you can adjust how the game looks so that it better fits to your likings.

Take a look on this thread:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-mi...ans-enb#969242

Furthermore this is the link for MISERY submods:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-mi...d-optimization

Here you can see some screenshots:

Last edited by rafmc1989; May 03, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

The mods difficulty is all 100% artificial though, so it totally kills any immersion I could get from it and so I really quickly found myself getting bored.

Yeh I die in one shot now from a bandit, excellent, exactly how I want it to be! However it takes a full clip of 5.56 to drop a bandit wearing the most basic clothes... it's like why put all this effort into making a mod immersive and then make retarded gameplay decisions like this.

That said I haven't played 2.1 yet, only the previous iterations. I remember the immense amount of hate the guy from their mod team who was responsible for the gameplay decisions got, so maybe they got rid of him and changed it?

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    The mods difficulty is all 100% artificial though, so it totally kills any immersion I could get from it and so I really quickly found myself getting bored.

Yeh I die in one shot now from a bandit, excellent, exactly how I want it to be! However it takes a full clip of 5.56 to drop a bandit wearing the most basic clothes... it's like why put all this effort into making a mod immersive and then make retarded gameplay decisions like this.

That said I haven't played 2.1 yet, only the previous iterations. I remember the immense amount of hate the guy from their mod team who was responsible for the gameplay decisions got, so maybe they got rid of him and changed it?
    With the new 2.1 installation you can choose between rookie and the true "misery" difficulty.
    The rookie version is less difficult like vanilla CoP and it is less demanding. Furthermore it exists submods that make mutants less effective. Btw "Rookie mode" is suitable for FPS new comers and it is less challenging...
    In both versions the accuracy of some enemies (like bandits) is tweaked... it's more balanced.
    In games like this you should always use a shotgun!

Here is a link of submods which change the difficulty:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-mi...is-misc-tweaks
    Last edited by rafmc1989; April 07, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

To call this realistic is complete unjustified. It's far from it. You have to use a bandage or med-kit every few seconds unless you happen to be lucky in a fight. I'd recommend it if you like hardcore survival and have at least 10 hours a day to make any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Clagius View Post
    To call this realistic is complete unjustified. It's far from it. You have to use a bandage or med-kit every few seconds unless you happen to be lucky in a fight. I'd recommend it if you like hardcore survival and have at least 10 hours a day to make any progress.
    I repeat again, there is ROOKIE version which is more playable.
    This is a hardcore-survival game far distant from buggy games like CoD and BF4.
    I finished this game time ago and if you have a good eqiupment and you can survive the Zone. The big difficulty is the first hours of the game, it's a kind of natural selection... Good hunting!
    Last edited by rafmc1989; April 11, 2014 at 06:11 AM.

Eh, that was quite a misplaced reaction rafmc. I think there are a huge amount of S.T.A.L.K.E.R fans who - far from being 'casuals' - are looking for mods which make the games as immersive and realistic as possible. There is a lot of overlap in those two things with challenge, but they're different characteristics at the end of the day. It doesn't really look like that guy's mods change the amount of damage NPC's and mutants can take or how much damage bites from mutants do to you, and those kind of things can make the game seem pretty absurd sometimes and so break up the realism factor.
    Last edited by Inkie; April 11, 2014 at 05:24 AM.

This game is not so realistic for some aspects like NPC damage... But if you're looking for a mod that makes Stalker: Call of Pripyat more like Dark Souls, in the sense that it's challenging and rewarding, you're looking in the right spot. Living on the edge from day to day, short ammo, little food, no more CoD style play. NCP's and mutants can be deadly.
    Very difficult - you can't take chances in this game. The difficulty forces you to think tactically, for you are one of the weaker entities in the game. Every critter becomes a serious threat, and packs are extremely dangerous. You constantly have to worry about sleep and chow, and the environment is dangerous. It is very challenging, but rewarding as well.
    It's however a post-apocaliptic game and the atmosphere gives this sensation. For me, MISERY has fulfilled a huge amount of my dreams which I had, especially from PC games, and by walking through The Zone, I feel like "Wow, this is it".
    However the end question is: IS IT FUN?!? HELLS YEAH IT IS!!
    It really depends on your taste if you like challenging games or casual games. There is a Rookie mode if you prefer, but that is everyone's individual choice. If you think you are playing the wrong game try Angry Birds or Rambo: The Video Game instead.
    Personally I think the difficultly is balanced, fair, and realistic for HARDCORE SURVIVABILITY.

The Graphics can be equivalent to next-Gen material if your Computer can handle it... besides there is texture optimizing pack to run the mod smoother and there is the download link:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-mi...io-songs-addon
    Last edited by rafmc1989; May 02, 2014 at 08:37 AM.

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post
    I repeat again, for casual gamers like you there is ROOKIE version which is more playable.
    This is a hardcore-survival game far distant from buggy games like CoD and BF4.
    I finished this game time ago and if you have a good eqiupment and you can survive the Zone. The big difficulty is the first hours of the game, it's a kind of natural selection... Good hunting!
    As Inkie said, your reaction is misplaced, buddy. I never said it's too difficult for me to handle or anything of the sort. I actually played MISERY for like 4 or 5 hours, but the mod is just not meant for me. I deeply love STALKER series, and I seek to preserve the original feeling of it with some enhancements.

Also to your last post. I don't think anyone here is saying it's a bad mod at all, rather that it's challenging, and not realistic. Everyone has their own tastes, and keeping that in mind it should be obvious that this mod might not be for everyone. There's no reason to say that we can go play Angry Birds if we find it too hard to play! We're all different. (And heck, Angry Birds is actually good and addicting!)
    Last edited by Clagius; April 11, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clagius View Post
    As Inkie said, your reaction is misplaced, buddy. I never said it's too difficult for me to handle or anything of the sort. I actually played MISERY for like 4 or 5 hours, but the mod is just not meant for me. I deeply love STALKER series, and I seek to preserve the original feeling of it with some enhancements.
    This screenshot reproduces the original feeling with some enhancemets of original STALKER: Cop + mods like atmosfear 3 and absolute nature 3.

So if you don't like the game, don't play it... I don't want to do Ukraine propaganda, but this is one of the most appreciate mod on Mod DB and there must be some reasons for that, don't you think so?

Last edited by rafmc1989; April 11, 2014 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post
    snip
    I find your "challenging or casual" dichotomy simplistic and your "go play Angry Birds if you don't like it" comment quite boorish. I already know what the merits of the mod are as I said in my first comment in the thread. I'm merely stating that a lot of us love immersion and realism even more than challenge, and so - at least for me - some of the gameplay choices were pretty disappointing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast