Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Example fort revision.

Default Example fort revision.

This isn't really entirely related to the mod, its just the result of some experimentation we were doing regarding what could be changed in battlemap settlements prior to the ability to add or remove objects.

Download is here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2670

It's a version of the Britannia campaigns 'stone_fort_c' but with an object that used to be a small bench converted into a very large object which extends to 'walls' and 'towers' around an extended rear area of the fort... as its only one object they don't actually work properly as breakable walls or arrow firing towers, the excuse used for this is that they are positioned high on a cliff that the enemy couldn't reach anyway... The zone you have to hold to capture the settlement is moved back into this rear area meaning you either have to capture the walls and descend from them to capture the plaza or fight your way through the narrow archway between the sections which is likely to be well defended.

The large object that covers all the new rear walls etc has a new collision volume which means it shows up as a 'building' that was achieved by using the textrep facility of the WCEditor v1.2 as described here

This isn't included as an independent mod, but if you install the zipped contents so it ends up in:
    data/settlements/pkh/pkh_cliffc/pkh_cliff_c.world etc...
    into whatever data folder you're using then the fort can be added like other permanent forts by using a
    region Reading_Province

farming_level 0
    famine_threat 0
    fort 220 53 pkh_cliff_c culture northern_european
    type entry in descr_strat.txt .... using pkh_cliff_c instead of the normal stone_fort_c type names...

Note that the strat file seems quite fussy about which locations it will accept forts at, so please check that it will accept a normal fort at the same location before complaining that this doesn't work!

*****************************************************************************
    New fort added - download here

Reduced and squared off version of Stone_Fort_D - Various structures removed or simplified using wilddog's ITWE 1.2 beta editor and reflection plane object (Moat) added...

To load copy settlements folder over settlements to add the files on right path - the .worldpkgdesc sets it up to load as a default fort using the name 'pkh_base_sq' in descr_strat.txt --- though it could also be swapped into use as a castle if you create an appropriate .worldpkgdesc

*****************************************************************************

Please credit 'Princes, Kings and Heroes' if you re-release either fort in any other mod.

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Example fort revision.

this is realy great
    and very nice model, of course. if any resources will be added to this it could be closer to castles...
    sorry my english.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

this is realy great
    and very nice model, of course. if any resources will be added to this it could be closer to castles...
    Not really sure what you mean with comment about resources - they aren't relevant. You should be able to use this as a castle without any problem. The problem with the original CA's castles is they are more akin to towns with castles rather than castles.

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

hm, so this is models for castles? than I bad understand, I think this is new model for forts... therefore I wrote about resources. my mistake, sorry
    sorry my english.

This is some cool stuff. Excellent job.

I like the smaller and more realistic castle size, (originals were WAY too big), but I'm concerned about units on walls. I set my unit scale to huge, and I can't fit units on many of the walls. However, I saw a post about putting units on towers and building, is that going to help (if it is implemented)? I'm also concerned about pathfinding. The pathfinding doesn't allow deployment/movement very close to buildings (you get the red X), so I was concerned about space. Very irritating...

Is this project going to help with deployment and such, in addition to custom settlements?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    hm, so this is models for castles? than I bad understand, I think this is new model for forts... therefore I wrote about resources. my mistake, sorry
    I had a feeling that's where you were coming from. Its Ok Forts and settlements are interchangeable anyway its simply terminology in the game.

I like the smaller and more realistic castle size, (originals were WAY too big), but I'm concerned about units on walls. I set my unit scale to huge, and I can't fit units on many of the walls. However, I saw a post about putting units on towers and building, is that going to help (if it is implemented)? I'm also concerned about pathfinding. The pathfinding doesn't allow deployment/movement very close to buildings (you get the red X), so I was concerned about space. Very irritating...
    The issue on size is still an issue with large units given that many castles garrisons was around 30 people total. Consequently small castles will need to be bigger in certain areas to hold the plaza and accommodate the larger units. This bit takes a lot of time to work out but yes we hope to address some of the issues. I don't intend to clutter the castles with a lot of internal buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    I had a feeling that's where you were coming from. Its Ok Forts and settlements are interchangeable anyway its simply terminology in the game.
    In technical terms anything with a plaza and deployment outline (which includes all the existing forts and simple variations of them) will work as a 'settlement', on either the castle or settlement EDB branches, there's some problems which limit the adaptability of that, because equivalent 'settlement' and 'castle' levels seem to have to use the same wall heights as there isn't a more refined way of setting those that adapting desc_walls.txt

Excellent work, thanks for releasing it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce
    Excellent work, thanks for releasing it!
    Thanks for the comment. It was put together by Makanyane as we were testing different things out.

I have been following the World Modified thread with great anticipation (but little understanding). Nice to see something concrete come out of what seems to be a series of very complex challenges. This model would serve as a passable Edinburgh castle methinks!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Small steps open huge horizons !
    Congratulations!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Keep up the great work

"Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?"Pope Julius III
    Want to add your own mercenaries? Read my Tutorial

Opifex

Nice work!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

OK if we add this to Stainless Steel Real Combat/ Real Recruitment latest compilation?
    (with credit of course!)

will do nicely for "Dover" castle on our map (and one or two others!!)

Just tested and it looks awesome on the battlefield.
    Excellent work makanyane
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; December 11, 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov
    OK if we add this to Stainless Steel Real Combat/ Real Recruitment latest compilation?
    (with credit of course!)
    Yes no problem with that.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

many thanks WD and + M

just a bit of messing around as there is a long way still to go on this - stone fort C after heavy rain Just showing addition of the reflective plane structure from stone fort B.

Last edited by wilddog; December 23, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

So trying to add mottes ?
    Check up what is the diference of a river passing point that makes it posible to walk in and compare it with the rest of the river.
    Add river arount your castle but make it whole posible to pass via it...
    That could allow ladders to reach the walls but those who will carry them will be slow down...
    I think...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII
    So trying to add mottes ?
    Check up what is the diference of a river passing point that makes it posible to walk in and compare it with the rest of the river.
    Add river arount your castle but make it whole posible to pass via it...
    That could allow ladders to reach the walls but those who will carry them will be slow down...
    I think...
    or maybe just lower the height of the reflection plane?

It was only a quick test showing the addition of a complete structure to the first complex with a new texture that that model didn't use either.

Very interesant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast