Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invasion of Korea

Senator

Default Invasion of Korea

Now, I'm no modder. I'm useless with anything fancy with computers. So I don't know how viable this will be, if at all.

But I think it'd be totally awesome for there to be a Korea invasion mod. Historically, Japan tried to invade Korea in 1592, so it wouldn't be out of the period range (no drastic unit mods etc) and most of the clans could be kept. It would just involve turning the Korea bit of the map into a living, breathing land with settlments etc.

You could play as a Japanese clan or the Shogunate, unite the clans armies and launch the invasion, or play as Korea and attack Japan first.

Might be difficult to pull off - I don't know how Shogun 2 responds to map modification like Medieval 2 could, but it seems like a pretty good premise to me.

Default Re: Invasion of Korea

Sorry mate, but campaign map is unmoddable since E:TW.
    "And other times it's hope that saves the day"

Senator

Ah that sucks, but I thought it might be something like that. Dyou suppose CA might release something to help with map mods? I mean they must take a look at Stainless Steel's map and just be in awe.

Oh, and a wiki link if anyone is interested:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...2%80%931598%29

it is now however and would really love to see some work done on this.

Call me crazy, buuuut....

The campaign mod is unmoddable, but perhaps there could be something like an updated Mongol Invasion?

In addition to updating the pre-existing Mongol Invasion, perhaps the Ming decide to retaliate against Japan and Hideyoshi for levying war against them and their sphere of influence?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

The campaign map has been moddable for over almost two weeks.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Oh? It has?

Do tell!

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

It's moddable since the new Assembly modding tool has been released on steam.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Turtler View Post
    Call me crazy, buuuut....

The campaign mod is unmoddable, but perhaps there could be something like an updated Mongol Invasion?

In addition to updating the pre-existing Mongol Invasion, perhaps the Ming decide to retaliate against Japan and Hideyoshi for levying war against them and their sphere of influence?
    You're crazy.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

that is great

thanks

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

This is a perfect period for a mod.. I hope someone picks up on it! Japanese, Chinese, and Korean armies all fought on the Korean peninsula and the famed Korean Turtle Ships wreaked havoc in the oceans.

This is probably the most rich setting for a mod possible for S2 and, I'm no modder but is it not possible to expand existing maps? The existing S2 map includes a large portion of the Korean landmass already and could be expanded a bit to include Korea and even China if someone felt really ambitious ..wish I had the time and skills
    "It don't matter to Jesus"
    - Jesus

BigDogDavis's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Manningham View Post
    This is a perfect period for a mod.. I hope someone picks up on it! Japanese, Chinese, and Korean armies all fought on the Korean peninsula and the famed Korean Turtle Ships wreaked havoc in the oceans.

This is probably the most rich setting for a mod possible for S2 and, I'm no modder but is it not possible to expand existing maps? The existing S2 map includes a large portion of the Korean landmass already and could be expanded a bit to include Korea and even China if someone felt really ambitious ..wish I had the time and skills
    The Assembly Kit could possibly, however the only problem is that it lacks a Supertexture tool. CA said they're trying to put one in, but at the moment all the kit can really do is add and remove settlements.
    "God is fake because space and science."
    -Jimmy Neutron

This actually sounds awesome. ANother thing that would be cool would be to add southern china to the origional maps (it is visible but you can't go there) and that would be a good start/practice for map modding

dunno how to edit so sorry for repost but i meant south korea not china

Even the supertexture problem is fixed now thanks to taw and his tool. The only problem is getting people to actually invest a lot of time into it.

I am actually now learning computer programing in school! NOw I am still a nub at it but If i could learn how to do this I certainly would!

Senator

If you guys can get a map up and running, I can do research for you (particularly when it comes to weapons, tactics, settlement locations, etc).

I like where this is going. Lotsa people seem interested and willing to help... And yes I still have no Idea how to friggen program I ONLY JUST STARTED D:

Senator

Oh, also I have a suggestion- even though the S2 AI is a big step up from past Total Wars in this regard, the AI still isn't very aggressive when it comes to overseas invasions. If you included all of Japan with all the vanilla campaign's clans, you'd probably never see a serious attempt to conquer Korea. In order to have a good reflection of the wars in Korea, I think it might be best to take a page from the original Shogun's Mongol Invasion expansion- focus the map on Korea, give the Japanese a small initial base on Tsushima, and have the Japanese army rely on reinforcements from the mainland that appear by event. The Japanese armies should have a large initial advantage over the Koreans, who need time to mobilize an effective army, and so the early game would be the Koreans struggling to contain the invaders while developing their capabilities as the Japanese fight to keep their momentum. You could simulate the importance of Korean naval victories by forcing the Japanese to rely on trade routes back to Japan to keep their field armies supported, and coming up with events that would reduce their troops' effectiveness if their supply lines are cut (including slowing their movement and reducing their morale and replenishment rates).

Ming could be handled a few different ways- you could make them a playable faction with a province in Liaoning, with reinforcement rules similar to Japan's (so they just have the local commandery's forces to work with at first but as the war in Korea escalates, imperial armies will arrive to participate). Or you could treat them solely as reinforcements to Korea- as a kind of reward for surviving the initial Japanese attacks, the Korean player would get a few stacks of elite Chinese troops to help them turn the tide.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Another idea that occurred to me is splitting the divisions of the Japanese army into separate factions- considering there were 9 divisions in the first invasion, plus the navies and a large reserve force in Kyushu, we probably wouldn't want to make a faction for each of them. But I think 3-5 different Japanese divisions might be appropriate. The commanders of the first few divisions to land, like Konishi Yukinaga, Kato Kiyomasa, Kuroda Nagamasa and Mori Yoshinari probably warrant their own factions while the prominent commanders who arrived afterwards would be good candidates for reinforcement stacks. The Japanese armies would have team win conditions like the ones in FotS, but theoretically nothing stops them from fighting among themselves.

The perks of this approach would be mitigating the AI's doomstack tendencies and ensuring that the Korean player always has numerous active armies to fight instead of just a single steamrolling blob. It would give more room for the many significant commanders to shine, increase gameplay variety, and keep the Japanese army from looking so uniform. It would also make for fun and interesting scenarios like the race to Hanseong and Kato's excursion into Manchuria.
    Last edited by O'Hea; March 25, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

I think that Japan should be more or less the same, but combining several regions for balance reasons. We have already seen a region split into two, so it would be piecemeal to combine two or three into one region, especially in territories with high region density. This would significantly reduce the unit production rate of the Japanese and allow for more focus on the mainland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast