Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost half of Brazil's population is now overweight or obese

Default Re: Almost half of Brazil's population is now overweight or obese

Shows how stupid that "!1! omg all brazillian women are hot!1!!" stereotype is. I actually find that quite annoying.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    Shows how stupid that "!1! omg all brazillian women are hot!1!!" stereotype is. I actually find that quite annoying.
    It's a statement of fact at every international research meeting I've attended, and its been more than a few.

So pppfffft
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    USA,70.8 per cent overweight, a study from Yale University.
    Mexico, 68.1 per cent overweight.
    U.K., 64.2 per cent overweight.
    Australia, 63.7 per cent overweight.
    Finland, 58 per cent overweight.
    Jamaica, 55.3 per cent overweight
    Sweden 53.3 per cent overweight.
    Brazil 51.7 per cent overweight.
    France, 50.7 per cent overweight.
    Colombia 48.3 per cent overweight.
    Malaysia,44.2 per cent overweight.
    China 24.5 per cent overweight.
    ---
    "half of the jobs created this past month in America were of the burger-flipping variety!"
    Thanks, McDonald’s: Obesity is Killing America’s Economic Competitiveness by Ballooning Health Care Costs
    Ah quite right, I was thinking of the obesity rate as opposed to overweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyJones View Post
    You sure you're not confusing that with Argentinian steakhouses?
    No.

They may have stole it from Argentina.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    Ah quite right, I was thinking of the obesity rate as opposed to overweight.
    Well, overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh you shut up. What's left of the thin ones more than compensates

And it depends on the region of Brazil. I have learned that the further down South you go, the better it gets. Having money also helps. So that makes Curitiba and Rio Grande do Sul the place where you want to be.

Where are you from by the way? Do you have any cousins? Sisters?

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Well, overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.
    Obesity rate for America is something like 30%. I forget what the exact difference is medically but obesity is more severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Overweight<Obesity<Morbid Obesity

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    Obesity rate for America is something like 30%. I forget what the exact difference is medically but obesity is more severe.
    Obesity and overheight are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.A BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight; a BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity. Raised BMI is a major risk factor for cardiovascular diseases, etc.
    Obesity and overweight
    ----
    What is the scale of the obesity problem in your country?
    Follow the links/maps; select indicators, regions, age, classification method, etc
    Last edited by Ludicus; April 24, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

BMI - Ugh I can't state enough how much I think the BMI is a ridiculous measurement. Its one size fits all methodology makes it a very vague gauge at best. Perhaps semi-useful for populations but much less so for the individual.

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Ugh I can't state enough how much I think the BMI is a ridiculous measurement.
    It´s a useful measurement. Obviouly, it has limitations (particularly for individuals in the intermediate BMI ranges) and shortcomings.

Future studies are necessary to determine if body composition measurements predict obesity-related risk better than does BMI, waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio or other measures of body fat distribution.
    "Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population"
    Last edited by Ludicus; April 25, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

BMI is kinda fail for individual cases or ''particular communities'' but it can work pretty effectively for general populations of which we already know their general behaviour regarding diet and exercise.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    BMI is kinda fail for individual cases or ''particular communities'' but it can work pretty effectively for general populations of which we already know their general behaviour regarding diet and exercise.
    The problem with BMI is that its being applied to individuals. I have no problem using it as a general measure, but on an individual level is simply bad. I myself have a BMI of 28 Now while I don't look fat I'd like to lose about 10 lbs. Which puts me at a BMI of 27. Apparently according to BMI I should be 180 lbs to be "normal". At 200 I start to look too skinny, at 180 I'd have people thinking I had cancer. Conversely my waist/hip ratio has me right in the healthy range.

I have a friend on the opposite end. He has a very tiny bone structure and hes never been able to bulk up. Somehow I get put in the same boat as him, despite us having very different body types.

The BMI was never intended to be used as a measurement of health, just a measurement of "average" proportions. The man who INVENTED the BMI scale said it should never be used for individuals.

Lazy doctors use the BMI because its easy, end of discussion.

My shameful truth.

Oh, and I agree with Phier on that. BMI is just really innacurate.

It's a statement of fact at every international research meeting I've attended, and its been more than a few.

So pppfffft
    I demand pictures.

Oh you shut up. What's left of the thin ones more than compensates

And it depends on the region of Brazil. I have learned that the further down South you go, the better it gets. Having money also helps. So that makes Curitiba and Rio Grande do Sul the place where you want to be.

Where are you from by the way? Do you have any cousins? Sisters?
    Ehh not much lol.

Well, the part about South being better is true, though. I live in the Northeast and some of the women here look like they've walked straight from hell. But RS ( and Santa Catarina ) does have a reputation of having insanely hot women.

I have cousins

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    E, bem, citando um cara de outro fórum...

Acho que o Sul/Sudeste é imbativel.

No Sul as mais gatas

No Rio as mais safadas. Sotaque de mulher carioca e aquelas marquinhas absurdas , aiai...

Em SP as mais princesas

Em MG as mais brejeiras.

Last edited by beckyolt; April 25, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Oh, and I agree with Phier on that. BMI is just really innacurate.

He's not saying it's inaccurate. He's saying its misused. For what it was designed for, it's fine.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    He's not saying it's inaccurate. He's saying its misused. For what it was designed for, it's fine.
    Exactly. For a population its ok. There will be people like me who skew it one way, and people like my friend who skew it the other, so the average gives you a general picture of the health of a population. Its still not perfect but its a snapshot.

My shameful truth.

It's basically the cheap CAT scan that doctors used to determine if something is wrong at all and if more expensive tests are needed to actually figure out what is wrong. Analogously.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

BMI is just really innacurate.
    No, it´s not "innacurate". Reread the previous posts.BMI is not a diagnostic tool, and is a fairly reliable indicator of body fatness for most people.

Body mass index and cardiovascular risk factors

For a population its ok.
    Obviously.
    Last edited by Ludicus; April 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

No, it´s not "innacurate".
    Yes it is.

It's throwing weight lifters into the overweight and obese categories. That alone severely skews statistics.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Yeah. My brother's only 5'6 and weighs like 160 because he lifts weights, and when he went to play Wii Fit one time, it told him he was obese

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast