Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT: Unique buildings - post your ideas here!

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT: Unique buildings

The minarets of Mas’ud III and Bahram Shah, Ghazni

The minarets erected by Ghaznavid sultan Mas’ud III (1099 - 1115) and his son and successor Bahram Shah (1117 - 1157) stand 600 meters apart on a plain to east of their capital Ghazni, near the Palace of Mas’ud III, which is said to have been burnt down by the Ghorids during their conquest of Ghazni in 1151. Both minarets once rose to a height over forty-four meters; their cylindrical upper halves collapsed during the 1902 earthquake, leaving their lower stelliform shafts (Although an 1880 photograph below shows what the minarets would have looked like in their original states). The lack of archaeological studies has left their function uncertain; they may have been built as victory towers, or as minarets accompanying mud-brick mosques.

The buildings incorporate wooden cushions between the tiers of brick to spread the load, and provide some protection from earthquakes, although evidently these weren’t much use in 1902! The conical roofs that one may now see were added after the collapse of the upper towers, to provide protection against rain and snow, and so were not present in the medieval period. The shafts are decorated with cast terracotta, and built of baked bricks organized into eight decorative bands featuring kufic inscriptions containing the names of Mas’ud III, the Prophet, Imams and Caliphs, and also star patterns and geometric motifs.

The minarets could perhaps give a happiness bonus as these monuments were presumably a source of pride for the people of Ghazni and a reminder of their former glory.

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

Wudang,

I just noticed you already have the Umayyad mosque in the game. Does this mean you still want info on unique buildings even if they are already included? Or have I wasted my time?

Is there a list of the places you already have in the game so that I'm not researching stuff that has already been done?

@Pyrrhus: Well, seeing as how this was the original entry:

"The Grand Mosque of Damascus - Originally a Byzantine Church purporting to hold the remains of John the Baptist, the grand mosque of Damascus is one of the oldest and important mosques of Islam."

I'd say what you presented is a pretty decent step up.

You can try looking through the building UI or 'export_buildings' to check for similar buildings, but even a updated description of a current unique building would be worth including, as long as it's well written and researched.
    Last edited by OpiumGhost79; January 27, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Good stuff here, but I would also wonder about adding some new standard building options beyond the few already added (slave trading, vineyards, sea going stuff etc).

Pilgrimmage hostels and hostpitals? bringing in trade and relgious conversion? Limited to of course the main religous sites on the map, Palestine and the Hijaz primarily.

River based trading infastracture (perhaps even a unit travel speeds bonus?) after all we have three of the great riverine systems of the pre-modern world, the Nile, Euphrates-Tigris, Indus-Ganges not mention the Oxus and others. River trade was often more important the land based stuff in many localities.

Should there be some Buddhist stuff for Indian rulers as well? I know there is little on the cards for adding Buddhism into the registered religons of the game but it would be a nince acknowdgement of continuing investement and activity by this religons aderhrants (but wasn't there a strong Buddhist element in the KK to?).

Finally what about some sort of Sufi-based building option (not necessarily a building mind) I mean there were rulers who put funds into Sufi orders at this stage weren't there?
    Who cares if we don't learn from History, its bloodly interesting.

Too much weird stuff happens for god not to exist

Ladies like superior firepower literally and metaphorically

England>Scotland and rest of the world, only the Welsh come even close.

Good stuff here, but I would also wonder about adding some new standard building options beyond the few already added (slave trading, vineyards, sea going stuff etc).
    This really depends on how much free space we have in the EDB, but it's definitely something to consider seriously. I think most of what you suggested would be excellent buildings to have, and I agree that infrastructure additions should be expanded as much as possible, within reason. I think we should keep this thread dedicated to unique buildings though, but your certainly in your right to post another thread relating to regular building additions.

Pilgrim hostels sound interesting; could you provide an example of how large such a hostel could grow?

Buddhism is still being considered for one of the religion slots, so if you could provide some insight into how widespread Buddhism was in Northwest India (during our timeframe, of course. Was it already well established in some cities? Were there any particular missionary movements that increased its influence?), it might increase it's chances of being included; it would certainly make the Indian territories a little more varied instead of just having Hinduism about maxed out in all Rajput regions.

As for the Sufi Orders, I don't know, maybe a guild option?

As for the Sufi Orders, I don't know, maybe a guild option?
    That's an idea, though now that I review it, these years are still kinda early days for Sufism it only takes around the end of BC's timeframe if i recall.

Buddhism is still being considered for one of the religion slots, so if you could provide some insight into how widespread Buddhism was in Northwest India (during our timeframe, of course. Was it already well established in some cities? Were there any particular missionary movements that increased its influence?), it might increase it's chances of being included; it would certainly make the Indian territories a little more varied instead of just having Hinduism about maxed out in all Rajput regions.
    Well Buddhism kinda falls down in India after the Gupta dynasty apparently, Hinduism regained its popular appeal as well as among elites during the middle ages....But sources on Medieval India in English are seeminly non-existant from my reach in the UK (its like nothing happened between Buddha's death and Babur). Still there were probably stupas around which got funding and stuff, might be interesting since the Hindu construction tree is so much more limited then its abrahamic peers.

Pilgrim hostels sound interesting; could you provide an example of how large such a hostel could grow?
    Well "hospitals" were certainly large enough to be the base of the Hospitallar Order of Knights. Certainly signficiant enough to be a core part of a pilgrims interary. All I've got is wikipedia and Tyerman's God's War on me I'm afraid...
    Who cares if we don't learn from History, its bloodly interesting.

Too much weird stuff happens for god not to exist

Ladies like superior firepower literally and metaphorically

England>Scotland and rest of the world, only the Welsh come even close.

That's an idea, though now that I review it, these years are still kinda early days for Sufism it only takes around the end of BC's timeframe if i recall.
    Well, we still have some Sufi traits and third-party characters, so maybe just a small expansion to those would be enough to represent the Sufi practices at the time.

Well Buddhism kinda falls down in India after the Gupta dynasty apparently, Hinduism regained its popular appeal as well as among elites during the middle ages....But sources on Medieval India in English are seeminly non-existant from my reach in the UK (its like nothing happened between Buddha's death and Babur). Still there were probably stupas around which got funding and stuff, might be interesting since the Hindu construction tree is so much more limited then its abrahamic peers.
    Definitely something worth looking into, I'll see if I can find anymore details. I think I read somewhere in the Dev forum that it's possible for a building to generate another religion besides the faction's native one (although I'll have to confirm that), so it would be cool to see some different Rajput building branches that rewarded and/or penalized the player for cultivating different religions in their regions (not sure how historical that would be...).

Anyways, do you happen to know of any unique Indian-Buddhist structures that were constructed during the Gupta dynasty?

How about the Cistern in Constantinople? Can it give extra turns to a besieged garrison?

If not, then perhaps it can be made to give a health bonus to the settlement.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

SVETITSKHOVELI cathedral in Georgia ( XI c. ) ... real unique building , I think ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetitskhoveli_Cathedral

SAMTAVISI cathedral (X-XI c. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samtavisi_Cathedral

Monastery of GELATI , founded by King David The Builder in 1106 AD . here is the tombs of many Georgian kings ..... David IV Bagrationi (the builder) 1089-1125, Demetre I Bagrationi 1125-1156, Giorgi III Bagrationi 1156-1184, queen Tamar Bagrationi (discutable question) 1184-1213, Giorgi IV Bagrationi ,,Lasha,, 1213-1222 ........ etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelati_Monastery

Medieval towers in Svaneti, north-west mountain Georgia,

Last edited by Tadzreuli; January 30, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

hello, don't know to where the latest BC map will reach, but if it would be possible i would like to see some "balbals" or "Gokturk runes" near the Orkhun river in todays Mongolia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balbals
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Turkic_script

Quote Originally Posted by OpiumGhost79 View Post
    I think I read somewhere in the Dev forum that it's possible for a building to generate another religion besides the faction's native one (although I'll have to confirm that), so it would be cool to see some different Rajput building branches that rewarded and/or penalized the player for cultivating different religions in their regions (not sure how historical that would be...).
    It IS possible, I saw it in das Heilige Romische Reich, there you were given the option to build/allow a Jew enclave in your city, which generated Judaism (and added trade), while the German faction still remained catholic.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=498
    It is a Kingdoms mod, but maybe it's possible for vanilla m2tw too?
    But what would the Budhists grant the owning faction? Lots of law, I guess, but what else?
    80% of the people on forums have things in their signature they ask you to copy. If you're sick and tired of this, copy this in your sig
    Fun things to do in Total war:
    1. Trample peasants to death with elephants (optionally with culverins)
    2. Burn peasants with greek fire
    3. Bombard peasants with mangonels
    4. Burn peasants with fire-arrows

Yes, I like my peasants...
    Fried!!!

Maison's Avatar Laetus

How would it will be with the Krak de Chevaliers??

the mandylion was a famous relic in edessa... supposingly it was housed somewhere in the city.
    i added a unique building harboring it to my campaign.
    http://img697.imageshack.us/i/abgarw...ofedessa1.jpg/

the files i use are attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post

Bābak Fort, Babak Castle,[1] or Bazz Galasi[1] (Persian: دژ بابک or قلعه بابک), also known as the Immortal Castle, is a large citadel on the top of a mountain in the Arasbaran forests, which is located 16 km southwest of Kalibar City in northwestern Iran. It has been identified as the stronghold of Bābak Khorramdin, the leader of the Khurramites in Azerbaijan who fought the Abbassids.[1]

every year on 30-th of Juny , Azeris in Iran march to "Bazz Qalasi", despite of the gouverment.
    to Azeris Babek is not just a National Hero, he is a National Herritage just like our Culture and our soil..
    In Azerbaijan there arehis monuments in many cities, after his name was called one of the most important Streets in Baku, people call their children after him , and tell their kids the story of Babek.
    Its a National Epos..

I want cities & castles to be 'different'....a difficult thing in MTW2 where, in the end, all cities & castles tend to be the same thing with the same things in them. I am hoping modders will produce a scenario where one castle may be extremely fortified on mountin and produce small amount of army ....whereas another is on open ground near city and very militarily relevant to your empire.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I guess we all would like to see such features but the thing is: engine is very limited in this matter and doesn't allow things you suggest.

Under the patronage of m_1512

1 example
    Last edited by Mirni; February 26, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

This is vanilla model of highest-level castle.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Momine Khatun Mausoleum
    The Mausoleum of Momine Khatun (or Mu'mine Khatun) is located in Nakhchivan City, the capital of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic in Azerbaijan. It was commissioned by Ildegizid Atabeg Jahan Pahlawan (1175-1186) in honor of his first wife, Mu'mine Khatun, and completed in 1186-1187, as indicated on the Kufic style inscriptive plaque above the entrance. Its architect, Adjemi ibn Abubekr (or Adjemi Nakchivani) also built the nearby mausoleum of Yusuf ibn Kuseyir. Scholars mention that the mausoleum was originally built with a madrassa, and drawings and photographs of the site from the nineteenth century confirm that it existed as part of a religious and educational complex which no longer exists.

Mumina Khatun was wife of the founder of the State of Atabegs of Azerbaijan Shamsaddin Eldaniz.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Eisberg; February 27, 2010 at 02:35 AM.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

For Constantinople, you could include the great church- Hagia Sophia, the Aqueduct of Valens, the Hippodrome, the Theodosian Land Walls and maybe the Great Palace. In addition to this, three of the seven wonders of the world are still standing- the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Lighthouse of Alexandria and the Pyramids of Giza.

kepper's Avatar Artifex

If you add the Theodosian Land Walls. Use this ones as UI card for the building.
    some pictures are http://www.arkeo3d.com/byzantium1200/landwall.html

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...get/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast