Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1742575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1650

Thread: [OSP] [WIP Release 0.8.5] New Units for Gondor REBORN work thread (1st post image heavy)

Default Re: [WIP Release 0.8.1] New Units for Gondor REBORN work thread (1st post image heavy)

Oh damn those look good, great job on these.

Default Re: [WIP Release 0.8.1] New Units for Gondor REBORN work thread (1st post image heavy)

While i'm still unconvinced by the look of the base version (looks too lightly armored for the intended role), the upgraded one fixes pretty much each and every gripes i had with them Great job
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that
    you are better suited to that reading activity, and suggest you go back to it.
    I guess it could work for some guys with Battle of Middle Earth as well...

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Amazing work Taro as always!

Which goodies can we exoect to see next?
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

The upgraded version looks cool! They will have only one upgrade, right?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is that intended that swan knights have no sprites folder in their mounted and dismounted folders?

I also noticed that you have included unsharpened Gondor archers unit icon.
    Last edited by Araval; November 21, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Yeah, when I tried to make the game generate sprites for them it just crashed, so I used vanilla sprites.

Any progress? ^^
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!

Damn, and I thought I could get away with being lazy .

So I finished Blackroot Archers remake, fixed stuff and like that. Right now Im making Lebennin Guardsmen. I will just say they are HUGE improvement over the old version.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looking forward to seeing them

Quote Originally Posted by Taro_M View Post
    Damn, and I thought I could get away with being lazy .

So I finished Blackroot Archers remake, fixed stuff and like that. Right now Im making Lebennin Guardsmen. I will just say they are HUGE improvement over the old version.
    Im anxious to check the final version of Blackroot vale archers, pls. I would also like to see you create a mini roster for Lebennin/Pelargir the same way you did for Lossarnach.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I need help!

Something very wrong happened when I added new lebennin guardsmen to the game. Their models dont appear properly in the game. They are mostly invisible, but if you get near them you can see models at certain camera angle. However their shading is ALL messed up with random black faces and stuff.

This is a first time I met with such problem so I have no idea what is wrong, I tried 2 different model converters and still nothing. Im out of ideas.

Problem solved! I forgot to turn on MIP maps generation on.
    Last edited by Taro_M; December 10, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Ok then, with my problem with Lebennin Guardsmen solved I can show you what I made, but first: the "final" version of Blackroot archers:

As i said I only fixed some stuff on them so nothing really changed.

Now the Lebennin Guards: they are one of those units I started with a sound concept (roman style), but ended up with something radically different . I got the idea for them from watching Chivalry: Medieval Warfare videos. The Knights of Agatha archers had this neat sleeves I really like so I made them for Lebennin Guardsmen, then the rest just turned out how they look now. Their clothing was divided into lots of groups so you can end up with very diverse unit. I must say I like the final effect even though setting up those groups was tedious at best. Im also pleased that i managed to keep the old idea of multiple layers of clothing.

As for their unit concept I kept the old one: spearmen with javelins and large pavise shields. I made new pavise shields for them, while keeping the style of other gondorian shields.

I to create 2 more upgrades for them.

BTW: Their coloring is to match their banner I have made quite some time ago.

Last edited by Taro_M; December 10, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Omg, it's nice!

It looks cool! I liked the spear javelin combo.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Taro !! Actually, I've got some question for you man.

In the end what is your purpose, I mean you are creating some units in order to make them playable in campaign or something?? (Seems to be a dumb question, but since Benox have done his work on 3.1, we can use those units on 3.2 because nobody do this for 3.2)

An already asked question, but still, any chance you become Master Blacksmith of Imladris ?? (with an elve picture on the backround instead of Boromir) Or something ele (Harad anyone ??)

Before doing this, have you ever worked on units, is this that hard to learn ?? (I know that there is tutorial out there, I've already checked some).

I find your units way better than the old skin but IMO there would be an imbalance in a campaign between Gondor and other factions because you have made many new units (while other only have a dozen different units)

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

nice work Taro. keep it up lad!!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    Taro !! Actually, I've got some question for you man.

In the end what is your purpose, I mean you are creating some units in order to make them playable in campaign or something?? (Seems to be a dumb question, but since Benox have done his work on 3.1, we can use those units on 3.2 because nobody do this for 3.2)

An already asked question, but still, any chance you become Master Blacksmith of Imladris ?? (with an elve picture on the backround instead of Boromir) Or something ele (Harad anyone ??)

Before doing this, have you ever worked on units, is this that hard to learn ?? (I know that there is tutorial out there, I've already checked some).

I find your units way better than the old skin but IMO there would be an imbalance in a campaign between Gondor and other factions because you have made many new units (while other only have a dozen different units)
    I can answer that for you.

Taro is a complete Gondor fan boy. This is his baby and he likely intends to stick with mostly Gondor. I think he has done some Mordor units in the past, but I don't know if he will repeat that.

The reason Gondor gets so many units is because it is a rather unique kingdom, in my opinion. Full of many different fiefs with their own soldiers who have their own distinctive styles. It only makes sense to have units representing them.

He might do other units in the future, but from I have heard he doesn't really intend on it.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Mainly this is a resource for other modders. If someone would like to create a submod that exclusively use all of my units Im all for it. However I do not want to bother with separate submod, too many people complaining about balance and stuff .

Only gondor. Maybe few units for mordor, but only because I want to have different things to kill.

Start with channing pieces of equipment on already existing units in order to learn whats what, then you can move on on combining different body pieces. Rigging, UV mapping etc. once you have learned the basic it's just the matter of practice.

THE BALANCE! GONDOR RULEZ!!!11oneeleven

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Hey Taro_M, i like your unit work a lot, it's excellent. Would like to use some of your models in my TATW submod, do you give permission for that desire? Proper credits are a sure thing of course.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.