View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%
Page 73 of 150 FirstFirst ... 234863646566676869707172737475767778798081828398123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2996

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Default Re: War of the Silmarils - Preview of Gondolin!

So...any idea when this will be released?It's the best mod ever because everybody likes the first age!

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dragos1990 View Post
    So...any idea when this will be released?
    Hopefully some time before the Dagor Dagorath.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    The Falathrim will have a teutonic tree, and Cirdan will be the faction leader of course.
    Would propose that you could give them three generals by the name's Aerandir, Erellont and Falathar*.
    Those are the sailors of Eärendil, and as their name's are sindar and they are a good crew I bet they are falathrim.
    Thus I also think they are the ONLY ones beside Cirdan who got a name..

Bet I'll install it, start my first campaign and then, during turn 1, BOOM, all to hell

EDIT: *http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/f/falathar.html

Hm, the source claims they are Men. That just make no sense at all. Why would Eärendil have human sailors when he was raised among elves, lived in the Mouths of Sirion and was close to Balar at the time (both wich was elven)?

EDIT 2: All other sorces (pages) I find claim's their kinship unkown, as well as Quenta SIlmarillion never states it.
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 24, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Battlerager's Avatar Civis

The Mayan Prophecy of 2012? It is real!

...great, and detailed work - doing the Silmarils proud.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Would propose that you could give them three generals by the name's Aerandir, Erellont and Falathar*.
    Those are the sailors of Eärendil, and as their name's are sindar and they are a good crew I bet they are falathrim.
    Thus I also think they are the ONLY ones beside Cirdan who got a name..

Bet I'll install it, start my first campaign and then, during turn 1, BOOM, all to hell

EDIT: *http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/f/falathar.html

Hm, the source claims they are Men. That just make no sense at all. Why would Eärendil have human sailors when he was raised among elves, lived in the Mouths of Sirion and was close to Balar at the time (both wich was elven)?

EDIT 2: All other sorces (pages) I find claim's their kinship unkown, as well as Quenta SIlmarillion never states it.
    Pretty sure they are Men, for Eärendil was the only one to leave the boat at Aman, and said some stuff about 'I alone will endure the Wrath of the Valar'. Elves would not have to fear this (neither would Men, though), so it seems clear they are Men to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
    The Mayan Prophecy of 2012? It is real!
    Nah, it's just a calander that was forgotten long, long before even the Spanish landed in the Americas. And still, we have like 2 more centuries.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Pretty sure they are Men, for Eärendil was the only one to leave the boat at Aman, and said some stuff about 'I alone will endure the Wrath of the Valar'. Elves would not have to fear this (neither would Men, though), so it seems clear they are Men to me.
    I understand your reasons but disagree on the logic. Let me elaborate:

Eärendil did not wish for anybody in the boat exept for himself to enter Aman.
    Not even Elwing. She was elven, of sindar heritage (though bit of maiar and Bëor in her, she was considered an elf). She to faced valars potential wrath.
    Aman had been closed to all in Middle Earth, not only noldor who was outcast, thus ALL elves and men from ME was forbidden to enter;
    With Melkor free in the World once more, the Valar set about securing Aman against further attack. The mighty mountains of the Pelóri were raised to even greater heights, so that a towering wall of sheer cliffs ran along the coastlands of Aman. In that time the Valar also set a chain of dark rocks in the Great Sea to enmesh mariners in enchantment. So Aman was hidden from those in Middle-earth, and the Powers remained behind the Mountains of Aman as the Years of the Sun began.
    // http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/a/aman.html

This combined with Eärendils history make's it likely that they are elves, though race isn't stated.
    As Aerandir & C/O are good mariner's they are quite likely falathrim.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Not meant to seem cocky, hehe, other's wo think as you do.

how the F do I remove a post? didn't meant to make a double post

I must agree with Ngugi in this

I understand your reasons but disagree on the logic. Let me elaborate:

Eärendil did not wish for anybody in the boat exept for himself to enter Aman.
    Not even Elwing. She was elven, of sindar heritage (though bit of maiar and Bëor in her, she was considered an elf). She to faced valars potential wrath.
    Aman had been closed to all in Middle Earth, not only noldor who was outcast, thus ALL elves and men from ME was forbidden to enter;
    // http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/a/aman.html

This combined with Eärendils history make's it likely that they are elves, though race isn't stated.
    As Aerandir & C/O are good mariner's they are quite likely falathrim.
    I must in addition point out that the folk dwelling at the mouths of Sirion were the survivors of Doriath and Gondolin, both elven realms who were more or less exclusively populated by elves, with the exception being in the case of Doriath Singular and for a short time and in the case of Gondolin a trio and all otherwise accounted for, there is no evidence in the text to suggest that there were human refugees living there.

Cant Wait for Turin Turambar. i will conquer the whole world with his small band xD even melkor will be killed in a duel

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Cant Wait for Turin Turambar. i will conquer the whole world with his small band xD even melkor will be killed in a duel
    here I am

The announcement of this mod inspired me to read the Silmarillion. There was no way i was going to play this mod without knowing the back story of everything! Needless to say i am super stoked for it to come out. Keep up the good work
    Hail the victorious dead!

Agree with Bones if you read the book the game will be probably better for ya. what you thought about the book? for me it was a little boring all those small details xD but the battles were ok
    Last edited by AragornElessar; March 02, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

It is important to remember that the Silmarillion is not a novel. It is a history of arda, and it is written as such. If you read it expecting it to be like a novel you probably will not enjoy it as much. Taken as it is intended it is a highly enjoyable and fascinating read.

Yea it was fun But sometimes just boring reading 3 hours about one Continent where the white flowers and where the green trees are xD

I thought the Silmarillion was great! a little depressing at times, but overall i really enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting to know all the fine details. For me, it enhances the story. What are some other thoughts on the book?

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Nothing but good, of course. But for such stuff you better use the "Tolkien General Discussion" thread, not mine.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Yea it was fun But sometimes just boring reading 3 hours about one Continent where the white flowers and where the green trees are xD
    The you should dislaike parts of LotR triology even more, since its more of such in those hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Bones View Post
    I thought the Silmarillion was great! a little depressing at times, but overall i really enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting to know all the fine details. For me, it enhances the story. What are some other thoughts on the book?
    I love how it make elves something more than wood-hippie-sissies
    Noldor is mighty, the sad parts and the fact they CANT win but goes on anyway makes them ever tougher and impressive. And all the great characters, really love them; Fingolfin, Maedhros, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Thingol and Melian, Cirdan, Mablung, dwarven king Azaghâl, Hurin and so on...
    I also like ot get the big picture. In LotR my favorit part is Elronds council because you get lots of info about the world and hints of the wast history. Its twice or three times as fun to read the thriology once you know Silmarillion

To the creator's then another (yeah, I know) question, since I've discussed at the Perillicious Creature Mod thread, will you bring us Glaurung or is he as a unit to awesome to use (or simply hard to make)?

EDIT: "for such stuff you better use the "Tolkien General Discussion" thread, not mine." Your right JorisoH, sorry
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 02, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Nothing but good, of course. But for such stuff you better use the "Tolkien General Discussion" thread, not mine.
    Sorry Joris! i will repost the question in the Tolkien General Discussion i got a little excited....my bad

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

To the creator's then another (yeah, I know) question, since I've discussed at the Perillicious Creature Mod thread, will you bring us Glaurung or is he as a unit to awesome to use (or simply hard to make)?
    Glaurung is planned to be a one-man-unit general for Morgoth's faction, using either alreadyded's existing Urulóki model, or a special model that he might make in the future. Either way, he will be badass.

Glaurung is planned to be a one-man-unit general for Morgoth's faction, using either alreadyded's existing Urulóki model, or a special model that he might make in the future. Either way, he will be badass.
    Will he have any in battle abilities? Specifically paralyzing his enemies?