Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: [NTW AAR] Liberation, A British AAR.

Default Re: [NTW AAR] Liberation, A British AAR.

Hey Lewis! Great Update! Although last time I remember Beresford as so... well... not evil.... What's with the sudden change of heart? Did he lose something important to him? Has he lost all sense of morality? Has he suddenly become a vampire? Has he become power-hungry? And how did you get him off of his high horse?
    Destroyer83, taking over the world since 1700.
    Don't worry, it's just business.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer83 View Post
    Hey Lewis! Great Update! Although last time I remember Beresford as so... well... not evil.... What's with the sudden change of heart? Did he lose something important to him? Has he lost all sense of morality? Has he suddenly become a vampire? Has he become power-hungry? And how did you get him off of his high horse?
    I never really talked about his personality or character, so there is no 'sudden change of heart' and I don't think evil is the right word really. I just want a bit of an arse on my side too, not all the coalition should be wonderful knights in armour.

edit: thanks guys.

Yeah, my avatar, I always been a fan of snazzy little otters. I forgot you were called otter, Super Sea Otter. haha.
    Last edited by LuckyLewis; August 31, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Ummmm, Ruthless? Despicable? Diabolical? Murderer? Ummm, I think I'll stick with evil for now, it sounds better.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Excellent, i especially liked the HMS Matarazzo, Moore, and Mercer. Also, did you end up capturing the Bonaparte? you said it remained a floating wreck, you could probably have salvaged it, and rechristened it the Louis, or the George III lol. Anyway there was some excellent writing in this update, keep it up

Excellent update, Lewis

Content Emeritus

Thanks guys, I intend to get another update in the next few days or early next week. In the meantime, you can find a bunch of great reads in the latest MAARC vote.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=385789

@PvtGunny

Yeah I did, I forgot to mention that. I sent it back to Finland for repairs. Thanks!

@RoyalGuard

Thanks man, much appreciated.

SirGejor's Avatar Biarchus

Excellent update, Lewis Very good Stuff mate,...I love your AAR.
    OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE
    Veni, Vidi,Vinci - Gaius Julius Caesar...

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

Lewis...what have you done? You've unleashed the Duchy of Courland.

God help us.
    "If History is deprived of the truth, we are left with nothing but an idle, unprofitable tale." - Polybius
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

My professional opinion... If they ask for a Surrender, take it. You have some of your best troops in Wellington's army, but with Gabriel, you are unstoppable. And even with Wellington's great men and experiance, you can't withstand the assault of 4 full stacks of Napoleonics. I am afraid that one way or another, Konigsburg will fall back to the might of Napoleon. May the Duke rest in peace. (Because I know that they are going to either, not offer a surrender, or just outright attack. But just refresh my memory, Does Konigsburg have fortifications? Because you might be able to take out 3 of the 4 stacks alone if you do. If you don't, I'm predicting around 2 stacks before all rout.
    Last edited by Destroyer83; September 03, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

I've been reading this AAR for like a year now, and its great as always! Best AAR ever!
    Last edited by General Cool; September 07, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

This is an awesome AAR!

Oh, how I yearn to have a campaign like that!

Remember this, Lewis is making money from over Half of Europe. At this point, every army he has can be replaced within 2-5 turns if he loses them. In short, he can afford losses just as much as the French can.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Lewis.....I see your skills on the field now have one added benefit.....the possibility of.......

ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Boos's Avatar Civis

Great stuff to read while I am waiting for Napoleon TW to download after a reformat.

Content Emeritus

Thanks everyone, firstly I'd like to thank everyone who decided to vote for me in the latest monthly AAR competition, I'm very thankful for it and I'm glad people enjoy it.

Secondly, I've decided I'm not going to bother making promises of updates on certain days/weeks now because I hardly ever reach them! I apologise for that, but y'know, stuff comes up!

Anyway, we have the 100th update today, I intended to do something special for this update but I wasn't sure what so it's pretty much a standard update. However, the next update should be relatively interesting...

Thanks!

In reference to: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337275

New Update

LIBERATION

Europe at the end of November 1813

December 1813 - Part 99 – The Hill

Since the arrival of the harsh wintery weather that now covers Europe from Moscow to London, the movement and maintenance of armies on both sides of the war have drastically declined in efficiency. Three French armies under the command of Hercule Beecher find themselves trapped to the north west of Breslau.

The poor weather conditions allowed them to avoid the Kingdom of Prussia’s sparse sentries across the Polish border and they’re now a threat to Stettin, Dresden and even the grand city of Berlin itself. The loss of any of these key settlements would be disastrous for the war effort on the frontline if Gabriel and Wellington would have to return to arguably the bloodiest regions of the war.

Hercule Beecher, the French General in command of the three armies behind the frontline was a newly appointed Marshal of Napoleon’s Empire. The loss of key figures such as Ney, Massena and Moncey earlier in the war left much of Napoleon’s military force with ill-experienced generals and officers. However, Beecher was different. He was one of few experienced generals to aid Napoleon to bring the Empire to its peak. Thousands of men follow him as they march west through the fresh clear snow.

Realising the threat to the key Prussian and Saxon cities, Herbert Schiller marched north from Breslau towards Beecher’s army. It was not long until Beecher’s large force was discovered, but only two of his armies were found with the other further north heading towards Stettin. Schiller engaged the visible Napoleonists, confident that the Prussians will be able to hold off the other lone army to the north with ease.

- The Battle of Karvin 1813

The battle was set, as both Beecher and Schiller organised their men in preparation for the fierce battle.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The field of battle was interesting. A large hilltop stood in the centre of the snowy lands with Beecher and Schiller on either side. It became apparent that both generals were eager to position themselves on such a valuable strategic position as Beecher ordered his cavalry to advance while Schiller put his light infantrymen on the two flanks of the hill.

On the left flank of the hill, a company of Light Infantry were supported by several standard British Line Infantry regiments and a sole regiment of Connaught Rangers. Schiller’s light infantry advanced forward, intending to release a volley into the cavalry and disrupt their own intentions of forming a dominant position on the hill top.

Beecher’s cavalry spotted the light infantry on the flank, but not the supporting line infantry, who were carefully hidden behind higher ground and deep vegetation. Schiller’s Light Infantry released a single but terrifying volley into the mass of horsemen and then quickly retreated, allowing the standard line infantry to fire into the exposed cavalrymen, leaving little other than hundreds of corpses hidden under a screen of smoke.

Schiller’s Light Infantry wipe out the threat from Beecher’s cavalry

With the threat of the cavalry now dealt with. Schiller himself attempted to move forward and claim the hill. The 31st Line of Foot advanced forward, sprinting through settling snow and hundreds of musket balls. The 31st didn’t succeed in reaching the hill, losing nearly half of the regiment to two regiments of Franco-Russian chasseurs to the north.

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the hill on the right flank stood a group of Highlanders holding their position against a company of carbine-armed cavalry and cuirassiers. The Highlanders quickly formed into a square formation under the order of Schiller giving them the ability to resist the cuirassier charges.

However, the carbine-armed cavalry still continued to fire at the Highlanders utilising hit and run tactics on the struggling regiment. German Light foot were brought up onto a smaller hill on the far right and delivering a devastating blow to the troublesome cavalry, forcing them to rout after receiving so many casualties.

The Highlanders then returned back into their standard formation as a threatening skirmish occurred on the right flank. Schiller took this moment to make another push onto the hilltop; using his experienced King’s German Legion to rush up the hill as the Highlanders and German Light Infantry supported them from below.

Unfortunately, this only resulted in failure yet again. The KGL were successful in reaching the top of the hill yet perished soon after as Beecher’s cavalry annihilated the regiment, forcing them to flee back down the steep, hazardous hill. Beecher was also personally involved in the fight on the left flank, attempting to hold the Connaught Rangers on the left at bay as his own army made their own push for the hilltop.

The King’s German Legion are exposed and killed on the hilltop as Beecher puts pressure on the Connaught Rangers

Beecher’s brave move of getting involved in the fight himself started to back fire as further companies of the Connaught Rangers reinforced the position. Schiller’s army had a large Irish contingent and they proved their worth in killing the French Marshal, opening a free passage to the hard fought hilltop.

Three regiments from the Connaught Rangers quickly moved up to the hilltop, across the hundreds killed attempting to reach the top. They successfully formed on top of the hill, surrounded by the bloody corpses of the King’s German Legion.

With Beecher dead and the majority of French cavalry routed, only infantry remained. They struggled to march up the hill and fire into the Connaught Rangers while Schiller's Light Infantry on both flanks also fired into those climbing up the hill.

Reinforcements from Beecher's second army then arrived. They attempted to push through Schiller’s position but it was too strong as it was now reinforced with fresh line infantry and companies from the King’s German Light Infantry. The Napoleonist Reinforcements eventually withdrew after quickly realizing that they could not break through.

Schiller withholds the last of Beecher’s men, forcing his reinforcements to withdraw

Those that withdrew or retreated were pursued by detachments of Schiller’s men and Prussian armies. The two armies were defeated and the army to the north had little hope of breaking though the defences at Stettin without support and further resources.

December 1813 - Part 100 – Gabriel’s Gamble

Gabriel has remained in Danzig for several weeks now, resupplying his army for the eventual assault into Greater Poland. Unfortunately, this plan has been much delayed by the weather and Napoleon’s strong armies in the surrounding regions.

The biggest problem stopping the invasion of Warsaw is the besiegement of Königsberg by thousands of Napoleonists to the west of Danzig. The Duke of Wellington remains trapped and the ability to withhold the attack on Königsberg is severely lacking without support.

Gabriel decided to march out from Danzig in an attempt to reach Königsberg before it falls. However, this leaves Danzig undefended and free to attack from several nearby enemy armies, including the third army of the defeated Beecher near Stettin.

A single Napoleonist army stood near the Vistula River directly south of Danzig. It was obvious to Gabriel that this army would have to be defeated as not only did it block the path to Königsberg, but Danzig would easily fall to this fairly large army if the city was left unprotected as a result of Gabriel’s absence.

- The Battle of Thorn 1813

Gabriel advanced south to deal with the present threat to Danzig with hope that the other nearby Napoleonist armies remain outside of Danzig’s walls.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The enemy’s position was heavily fortified. They seemed to be aware of Gabriel’s advance south and had prepared beforehand. Artillery was positioned on wintery hills with Standard Line Infantry and Grenadiers in front and cavalry on both flanks.

Luckily, it was apparent that the Napoleonist force was certainly not up to full strength, most likely formed from a mixture of defeated regiments after the successful sieges in Prussia. The wintery conditions had also been a considerable issue for them, lack of a dense road network for food and water supplies had exhausted the army and killed the mounts of many horsemen. The worst effected regiment was a company of Polish Lancers, who had loss many to the slow silent killer.

Nevertheless, the Napoleonists’ position had excellent artillery coverage and quickly started to bombard Gabriel’s men, who were sprinting towards their position in order to reduce casualties from remaining idle.

Gabriel’s infantry are pelted by the Napoleonists’ artillery position as they advance

A group of French Hussars quickly appeared when Gabriel’s infantry were most exposed, clashing with a regiment of Highlander Foot on the right flank. The Hussars unleashed much death on the Highlanders but their success dwindled when a supporting regiment of Line fired into their rear, allowing the march to continue.

On the far left, a company of Russian Chasseurs were hidden within a small forest before revealing themselves to Gabriel’s men. They kept firing at the 109th Regiment of Foot, who were out of range and losing men upon every accurate shot.

The threat was dealt with by a mass of Danzig Militia and Light Dragoons who appeared from the left flank, delivering an unbelievable charge and ultimately stopping the harassment of the 109th.

Danzig Militia and Light Dragoons stop the mighty Chasseurs with an overwhelming charge

Despite Gabriel taking far more casualties than he had hoped for when starting the sprint, he had now reached the enemy frontline and a line battle followed. Gabriel’s numbers overwhelmed the first line of infantry, reaching the troublesome artillery.

The artillery was quickly destroyed in the battle as a tremendous volley of musket fire was quickly released into the artillery crews, forcing them to flee. Gabriel had also moved half of his force around the left flank of the Napoleonists’ force. It had all of Gabriel’s light infantry regiments while being supported by the 109th and other standard line infantry regiments.

This was the beginning of the end for the Napoleonists, who were bombarded from two sides by Gabriel’s men. The Napoleonists started to panic as their escape opportunities started to disappear when Gabriel’s horsemen galloped further to the left in order to surround the Napoleonists.

The Napoleonists started to break, dropping their muskets and running east through the blood-stained snow. Gabriel’s cavalry raised their sabres, appeared from the flank, and charged to pursue the defeated force.

Fear rapidly spreads through the Napoleonists as a terrifying charge concludes the battle

The path to Königsberg was now open to Gabriel. He must march quickly to the city as word has reached that the battle has already begun. Wellington is already having many problems in defending Königsberg Fort as artillery rocks the walls.

Many have died already and the Königsberg citizenry have been drafted into the fort to aid Wellington’s army in the defense. The 95th Rifles, Wellington’s light infantry regiment, have also been slaughtered by the Napoleonists’ artillery, falling to their deaths as the shaken citizenry watch on.

The last of Wellington’s Rifles fall to their deaths at Königsberg as the assault begins

Gabriel must march with haste before it is all too late.

To be continued

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

You see what happens when your army is made up of Irishmen and Germans GREAT update, but im looking forward to the siege of Konigsburg even more (just please, dont tell me the white uniform bug reared its ugly head for that battle, the 3 men shown look like they have it ). Also, did I spy the Worchester Yeomenry cutting its way through lines of Frenchmen?
    Last edited by 'Gunny; September 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Content Emeritus

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pvtgunny View Post
    (just please, dont tell me the white uniform bug reared its ugly head for that battle, the 3 men shown look like they have it ).
    Nah, they are luckily just armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by pvtgunny View Post
    I spy the Worchester Yeomenry cutting its way through lines of Frenchmen?
    No, there are just some, erm, special unit in Danzig.

SirGejor's Avatar Biarchus

Great as always mate
    OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE
    Veni, Vidi,Vinci - Gaius Julius Caesar...

Nice Update, can't wait for Battle of Koingsburg, sure to be epic.

One word. AWESOME.