Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Default Re: US Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Americans over immigrants.
    By definition all Americans, apart from indigenous ones, are either migrants or descended from same. Trump's dad was a migrant as is his wife.

The wall is Trump's Brexit, with the orange fool playing the part of May.
    Last edited by mongrel; January 21, 2019 at 01:56 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Praeses

Trump starts a stupid fight over an issue he could have slam dunked months ago, he says he's responsible then flip flops and blames someone else, and this proves there's a (((Liberal))) plot to replace whites in the US? Strong logic there.

Left wing loony game is strong but this is championship material from the Right.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Senator

Its kinda ironic, that in civilized Countries the security of the job (and payment) is one of the major reasons to work for the state... I bet alot of the federal employees are regretting their choice right now.

@Basil: Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of internet sites, newspaper or other media do you deem acceptable for information?

Senator

Thank you.
    Since a new week has begone, anything new on the topic? Are there even negotiations?

God I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    This is not an uncommon theme in civilization; once enough people are convinced that their opponents are truly and deeply evil, you can justify doing a lot of cruel things to them. Or, at least, tolerate the cruel treatment inflicted by the more extremist factions of your society. That is what creeps me out about your posts so much. I feel like if an extreme right-wing terrorist were to bomb a Liberal rally or something, you would be A-ok with that and probably engage in apologism on behalf of the terrorist (as has been done by people in the Charlottesville thread). All because, in your mind, the Liberals "started it", so they deserved what they got.
    A political cult always, always, tells it's cultists that they are the victims and are only defending themselves against aggression from the 'enemy', regardless of the leaps outside the boundaries of reality that is required to do so. This sort of mindset can be used to justify anything, and when taken to it's logical end you have people advocating civil war, concentration camps, and genocide.

I'd like to think those saying we need a civil war wouldn't really gun down people on suspicion of liberalism...

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Its kinda ironic, that in civilized Countries the security of the job (and payment) is one of the major reasons to work for the state... I bet alot of the federal employees are regretting their choice right now.
    My wife could have all that at a lot more pay and be living a much nicer place - don't forget public service. All her seed varieties are free, and all her data published openly and available for free (and all the coding I do for her is of course voluntary).
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    My wife could have all that at a lot more pay and be living a much nicer place - don't forget public service. All her seed varieties are free, and all her data published openly and available for free (and all the coding I do for her is of course voluntary).
    I'm totally going on Google earth looking for 12 foot ears of corn in Cascadia, then I'll know where you live.

Seriously though in my family we have a mix of vocations and professions across public and private sectors and I have to say the money from private work does not make up for the honour of public service. In law (the pay gap here is enormous), health, education and information science its been the same experience.

On occasion financial stress has forced a change and its been temporary until the situation was resolved.

I do object to the stereotype of freeloading public servants gouging the public purse. It definitely happens and should be savagely punished, but the most common type I encounter are driven individuals who go above and beyond in the same way small business people do to make their enterprises work.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Is there any other civilized country that has something similar to this shutdown nonsense?
    Obviously not. Well, have a good laugh,
    Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it. Go over it. Go around it. But get to the other side of that wall
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

A friend told me that a budget that covered a little over a billion dollars for border security was already approved by both the House and the Senate before Trump had some changes to it by the Republicans, adding the extra wall funding, and sent it back to the Congress to get re-approval. Is that right? Anyone have a good article on this time line?
    The Armenian Issue

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Let them eat gluten free cake

Should we start getting the guillotines ready ? Seriously though, people like this who have no way of relating to working people and who aren't affected in any way by the shutdown are so out of touch with reality. The irony here (I've said it before) is that Donnie is exactly the same; he's lived his entire life knowing nothing but luxury, yet this is the guy people think knows the plight of the middle and working class.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

As opposed to virtue-signaling Democrats living in rich gated communities, but being okay with disarming their own population , shutting down government to prevent effective border control and then rejecting GOP proposal to pay government workers during shutdown.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-age...ts-to-protect/

I suppose we could just let MS 13 thrive...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

You've got to hand it to Trump, he's being pretty clever here. He can't be investigated by the FBI if there's no money to investigate with.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/comm...et-a-loan.html

Yea ok Wilbur...you do that when you make on average, five figures a year on a whim and typically have a mortgage or a rent as well as other bills and loans to pay back. Just get that small pocket change loan of a million dollars from your parents. Easy peazy.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 24, 2019 at 12:07 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Yea ok Wilbur...you do that when you make on average, five figures a year on a whim and typically have a mortgage or a rent as well as other bills and loans to pay back. Just get that small pocket change loan of a million dollars from your parents. Easy peazy.
    Once your credit rating is damaged that ain't so easy getting a loan. Anyone who was at the back end of the recession might be back on their feet day to day, but their credit score if got dinged will haunt them. Plus credit is tighter now than say back in the 90s. Ross is typical of the entitled jackass Trump appoints. Let them eat loans. Of course the contractors who will not be getting back pay are doing what?
    Last edited by conon394; January 24, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1088513396834742273

Senator from Colorado tells Senator from Texas to screw right the frak off.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Are Republicans seriously that scared of Trump and his supporters that they can't vote for a simple 4-week funding of the government, practically the same proposal they voted for back in December? This is absurd. And how does Trump still have 80% approval among Republicans? Is the propaganda seriously that potent?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

The Republican party itself is usually less extreme than their constituency. If any of them cross Trump, they know they will be primaried in their next election. It's also why none of them would vote to impeach Trump without acknowledging that is the end of their career in the Republican party.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.