Thread: Siege equipment disappearing

Icon5 Siege equipment disappearing

So I finally got around to playing SS 6.4. And I don't know if this is an issue of the mod or the vanilla game, but I remember this not happening in RTW. I built 2 rams and 5 ladders when sieging the settlement, but when I start the battle only 1 ram and 5 ladders appear equipped by 6 infantry units, and the second ram is just gone.
    So does this mean I'll never get to choose what equipment to use in the battle, that I have to decide what to build and use according to the number of infantry units I have, or this is really a bug? If it is – it's a pretty annoying one.
    But anyhow, is there any way to fix this? Will be really grateful for info and help, thanks.
    I have the BugFix Compilation 1.27 installed by the way.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Siege equipment disappearing

Quote Originally Posted by trueman11 View Post
    So I finally got around to playing SS 6.4. And I don't know if this is an issue of the mod or the vanilla game, but I remember this not happening in RTW. I built 2 rams and 5 ladders when sieging the settlement, but when I start the battle only 1 ram and 5 ladders appear equipped by 6 infantry units, and the second ram is just gone.
    So does this mean I'll never get to choose what equipment to use in the battle, that I have to decide what to build and use according to the number of infantry units I have, or this is really a bug? If it is – it's a pretty annoying one.
    But anyhow, is there any way to fix this? Will be really grateful for info and help, thanks.
    I have the BugFix Compilation 1.27 installed by the way.
    You can only bring as much equipment as infantry units. It's hardcoded.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Judeman266 View Post
    You can only bring as much equipment as infantry units. It's hardcoded.
    Well, that doesn't make any sense. Why is it allowed to be built then? There is no logic in this, at all. Sadly ruins the game for me, at the very beginning.
    Thanks for the reply.

Why would you want to bring more siege gear then infantry?... there's no one who could carry the additional gear onto the field.

The reason it is like that, is because the siege gear cant just show up at the beginning of battle un-manned.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Why would you want to bring more siege gear then infantry?... there's no one who could carry the additional gear onto the field.

The reason it is like that, is because the siege gear cant just show up at the beginning of battle un-manned.
    For example when sieging a settlement I have a spy in I would like to have a choice of which equipment I'm going to use, depending on whether my spy opens the gates or not (every turn there is a chance). Also, in another example, it's very convenient to have a spare ram or a tower in case one gets burned down.
    This is totally unrealistic and illogical, it should explicitly prohibit equipment from being built, if that is a restriction from the start. Otherwise it's just misleading the player into thinking that he has more siege equipment than he is allowed to have. Because it explicitly lists the number of equipment as being built and present, when in fact there is a hidden restriction.
    So RTW did not have this restriction and M2TW does?? What a huge step back. Or am I misremembering and RTW had it too?? It's strange I am running into it just now then.

You're misremembering.

You're misremembering.
    Well, it's not like memory being unreliable is a surprise.. Many disappointments recently. Many illusions are crumbling.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by trueman11 View Post
    Well, it's not like memory being unreliable is a surprise.. Many disappointments recently. Many illusions are crumbling.
    Thank you for clarifying.
    We all make mistakes. What you said makes sense in the real world. Also, a reason you can build equipment greater than your total infantry is that you could always reinforce your army with more infantry. So for example say you besieged a city with a cavalry heavy army and later swapped some infantry into the besieging army, you wouldn't have to wait till the reinforcement to start building the other siege equipment because it would already be built.

Jools_Jops's Avatar Libertus

This isn't a SS thing it was part of M2TW so it's not the fault of the team. It is a very tiny "problem" you just have to plan accordingly. You can't expect your cavalry to haul siege towers or your infantry to carry three rams and ten ladders each.
    In the year of Four Kings, Rothgar and Wulfric were laid to rest.
    Heroes in the war against the Moorwens.
    And Kainan, once a stranger to us, became king.

He took for himself a wife and a boy, who became as his own son.

But only I knew his secret.
    That the gods had sent us Kainan.
    And when it came time to return to them...

...he chose to stay with us instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jools_Jops View Post
    This isn't a SS thing it was part of M2TW so it's not the fault of the team. It is a very tiny "problem" you just have to plan accordingly. You can't expect your cavalry to haul siege towers or your infantry to carry three rams and ten ladders each.
    I mean it just doesn't make any logical sense. A small group of besieging soldiers CAN build multiple siege engines, whether or not they are going to able to man them all, given time (which game specifically gives). My problem is not as much with the mechanics itself though, as with the misleading ability to kinda "build" seige engines, and then not being able to use them.
    But I agree that it is the original developers fkt up.
    It seems I just never encountered this prior to SS, because I never used to have small armies, ever.

We all make mistakes. What you said makes sense in the real world. Also, a reason you can build equipment greater than your total infantry is that you could always reinforce your army with more infantry. So for example say you besieged a city with a cavalry heavy army and later swapped some infantry into the besieging army, you wouldn't have to wait till the reinforcement to start building the other siege equipment because it would already be built.
    I get that reason. Still, it's not made clear that it would not be available otherwise (without reinforcements).

It's compliment to SS:TW if this is the biggest issue you have with it.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Æsir View Post
    It's compliment to SS:TW if this is the biggest issue you have with it.
    I guess I won't discover that now.

P.S. By the way, if liberty means anything at all, it's listening to painful truths about yourself, not seeking to tell them to others.