Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making unit cards with MilkShape3D and GIMP 2

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Making unit cards with MilkShape3D and GIMP 2

If you use vanilla UI card sizes there will be no issue with resolution:
    Here is my latest UI cards for berbers that are not my best in resilution (i must forgot something the time i stoped creating UI cards)

Nottice the Unit info card and the battle UI ones.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Here is my latest UI cards for berbers that are not my best in resilution (i must forgot something the time i stoped creating UI cards)
    I think your UI cards look already great, Anthonius II !
    But why are the numbers on your cards placed just above the middle of your cards ?
    Would be much more easy to see this important info if you place them more in the upper left corner of the card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compliments too for the amount of work of Assurancetourix (+rep.)
    Just curious, how long does it take you to create one set of 10 UI cards ?

Thnx.4.answering!
    Last edited by Celtoi; May 11, 2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: text-error

Sorry for the lack of news lately. Here are some new cards for Hellenistic units:

1st row: Makedonia
    2nd row: Pontos
    3rd row: Bosporan
    4th row: Pergamon

I tried to figure out the best way to minimize the loss of quality when resizing to the vanilla resolution, but I wasn't really successful. On the picture above, the Hyperaspistai are still in 150x200 and one can clearly see the difference of quality, especially for the sword. Also, my cards are half the size of the current ones: 7Ko against 13Ko on average. I don't know if it's a good thing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Even when it's not your best work, the quality of your cards is still way better than mine! =)

Could you explain me how to combine mounts and riders? Where can I find the animations you're using (if it's possible) and how to use them?
    Last edited by Assurancetourix; May 11, 2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtoi View Post
    Compliments too for the amount of work of Assurancetourix (+rep.)
    Just curious, how long does it take you to create one set of 10 UI cards ?

Thnx.4.answering!
    Thank you for the compliment!

Well, I'm not sure because I've never really timed this and I guess I don't have the most efficient technique, but I would say around one hour for 10 cards of different units - probably more actually. Extracting and converting all the assets from the game folders is really time-consuming. This is how I proceed:
    1) find and convert the model to be able to open it with MilkShape
    2) find and convert the textures to .dds then I sometimes convert the .dds to .png to avoid funny things when opening them in MilkShape
    3) once in MilkShape, assign the good textures to the different parts of the model
    4) find the good pose and take a screenshot
    5) open the screenshot in GIMP and get rid of the background, crop the picture, edit it and resize it
    6) export the picture to .tga

Wonderfull work.

Will your new unit cards be in the 2.3a release ?

Quote Originally Posted by torf View Post
    Wonderfull work.

Will your new unit cards be in the 2.3a release ?
    I still have several units to do and I'm still struggling with phalangitai, archers and mounted units so I don't know. It will depend on 2.3a release date I guess.

Some more variations for the thureos units:

1) Makedonia
    2) Bosporus
    3) Baktria
    4) Nabatea
    5) Pontos
    6) Pergamon
    Last edited by Assurancetourix; May 13, 2018 at 03:07 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Assurancetourix View Post
    Even when it's not your best work, the quality of your cards is still way better than mine! =)

Could you explain me how to combine mounts and riders? Where can I find the animations you're using (if it's possible) and how to use them?
    Day by your work will become better and will go beyond my level. Keep trying new things untill you will find your style.
    My style was the poses the plastic soldiers of 1/72 dioramas and that was trying to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assurancetourix View Post
    Some more variations for the thureos units:

1) Makedonia
    2) Bosporus
    3) Baktria
    4) Nabatea
    5) Pontos
    6) Pergamon
    SEE your work is much improved.
    In order to show more armor plus the shields when i make an infantry pose i sellect bone_pelvis and return it few degrees to the side the shield is.
    About mounted unit ui cards.
    You will need a pose in milkshape like this:

From that pose in .tga format you will make both UI cards.
    Cropping to the UI cards sizes you will make two versions.
    Small UI:

UI_Info card:

Nottice that in th einfo card i cut part of the upper side of the spear. Its the unit we need to show.
    Also nottice that the small UI card does not show the lower part of the horse. Otherwise the unit in the card woul dbe too small to show and details.
    Inorder to have mounted units UI cards you need a horse.
    The only tool that will allow you to extract a horse from the mod you play is GOAT 1.1.
    Select the horse you like and its textures (like human units).
    If the horse has a name like medium_horse_lod0 for example, inorder to have it as a horse is before you convert it to ms3d model to add "mount_" before it.
    The mesh will be renamed mount_medium_horse_lod0 and then you can convert it to a milkshape model to use it for poses. That will allow you use the horse's skeleton to make diferent poses.
    The simpliest way though is to use GOM (see the links in my previus posts).
    Convert the horse mesh to ms3d with that tool but it will have human skeleton.
    Open the model. Make skeleton apear. Select all parts and hide them exept the skeleton.
    Select the skeleton and errase it.
    Now the horse has no skeleton but you can treat it like sculpture selecting parts like head , legs etc to create a standard pose (like mine).
    Save it as horse render!
    Now when you will have a mounted unit to make UIs open that horseman model.
    Select merge button in milkshape and select the horse render.Select anim button in th elow right corner of the milkshape.
    Go to joins and select the parts you want to change position , select rotate or move and so on untill the pose is what you like it to be.
    Because the horse has no sceleton we chose the horsemans' bone_pelvis and select move to put him on the horses's back. Rotating upper arms, legs etc you will have your pose.
    Take a screenshor and make it a picture in Photoshop or GIMP and save it in .tga format. You may need to make some changes so DO not close milkshape.
    When you will have the pose you want select exit from Milkhape. Milkshape will ask you if you want to save the changes select NO!!!!!!!!
    You may need both the horse render again and the unit model for other uses.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I'm sorry for all the Roman fanboys out there, it's not my best work, but here goes the Roman roster:

Despite the lack of news lately, I'm still working on this project. I've made some progress with the Celtic factions:

1) Aedui
    2) Arverni
    3) Boii

badass7's Avatar Libertus

Awesome work! Really like the uniformity of them. I think I prefer them to the current ones!

beutiful

Tiro

Keep them comming please! All those look F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C. I hope to see the full collection in next relase ( you know, to dream is free of charge )

I'm sorry for the long absence, but I've just downloaded 2.35 and I'm back to work. I'll probably need a little time to get back my previous routine and standards though. Here is my first shot at the Pontikoi Hoplitai:

Glad to see you are back at it. I really appreciate your effort on the unit cards. They look great and add some variety.

I was worried that you may have abandoned this promising project.
    Very glad to see you still working on it.
    And very much looking forward to the day when I'm able to incorporate this submod into my installation of EB 2.35.

Keep up the great work please!

Right now, I'm still reviewing what I had previously done. Some cards' names have changed so I can't simply copy-paste. Plus, I have to resize the cards I had left in 150x200. I couldn't help but check the new Hoplitai model and textures though. The new Pontikoi Hoplitai cards are closer to my previous work:

Last edited by Assurancetourix; January 24, 2019 at 04:10 AM.

jazstl's Avatar Civis

Great didnt want to say anything, but the previous one wast as good as your ussual work. This on the other hand looks incredible. How goes the progres?

It took me two days, but I've finally managed to correctly transfer all the cards I had previously done in the current build. It sounds ridiculous but trust me, it was a huge deal to individually copy-paste each one of the 370+ cards in the correct sub-sub-subfolder. Now I can really start to make the 2.35 new units. I decided to start by redoing the Hoplitai and here is the result. I think it's not too bad but you tell me!

Baktria, Bosporan, Epeiros, KH, Makedonia, Pergamon, Pontos, Ptolemaioi and Seleukids.
    Last edited by Assurancetourix; January 26, 2019 at 05:17 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast