Thread: [TW Guide] RTW: Cool & Strange Phalanx Position

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Default [TW Guide] RTW: Cool & Strange Phalanx Position

Author: PyrrhusIV
    Original Thread: Not Available

RTW: Cool & Strange Phalanx PositionI was experimenting on Custom battles with some strange tactics to see if they would work, i was bored, but i found out a very useful Position which makes your Phalanx the Hammer & The Anvil all in one. Actually, i dont even need cavalry to win battles with this, although i would reccomend it. A Picture of it is below:

Yes, i know it is from Vanilla RTW, but it works just the same in R:TR, actually, it works better! I just took a picture of it in Vanilla by accident

This formation uses many phalangite units to your army, but is very, very simple. You stay in that basic formation (Another pic will be provided below) and keep moving forward and keeping your line to look like that while you move. It is challenging, but you instantly have a wall that even the best AI infantry and usually cavalry army cannot break, it is the maximum defense and attack for a Phalanx. Yet, it is confusing to do, and i will admit, I only use it for serious Battles, any other minor engagement i dont waste the time.

Below: A Chart which explains a small Phalanx based army moving and attacking during battle. It show's the movement of a Phalanx in four cycles.

The purpose of this position/Manoeveur is to throw the AI into total chaos when it comes to Moral and attack. In the Chart above, wherever the AI attacks, it will be hit from 3 sides, except for the front, which is usually rock solid anyways. E.G, A Hastati Unit will be hit from the left, right, and front, usually causes quick and utter destruction of it. This works very, very well when the AI decides to go into one of the "ditches" in the formation, that is, the area of the formation where 3 Phalangite unit's are facing it. The best part about this offensive-defense is that all unit's protect each other.

I hope this Helps for some of you!

Note: To make this Offensive, you must manage unit's very carefully to have them move the right way perfectly.
    Last edited by Saint Nicholas; January 21, 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: updated