Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Taras dream, an AAR...

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Default The Taras dream, an AAR...

The Fuzz's AAR inspired me to do an AAR for the shear fun of it, note this is my first AAR ever Rise of Persia Beta 2.1 (I'll try to get pictures up, imageshack hates me)
    }
    The year is 559 B.C., I am Ameinokles Phalanthidos, elder of 60 years, and ruler of the Taras lands, my people have grown weary of the confined and crowded spaces they live in. They and I grow sick of being harrassed by the rebellious lands of the south Sybaris and to the north the accursed Apoulioi!

The end of the world
    It is my goal to bring these rebellious peoples to their knees and unify the lands on which I live, because I fear for the future of Taras if things continue on the way they have been...

I ordered my sons, Iambolous and Antilochos to recruit able fighting men (mercenaries) and from thier go south and siege the village of Sybaris peoples and leave no one alive, this will set into motion the first stage of my plans, I expect the siege to begin winter of this year...

As expected the chill of winter came, about 3 weeks later a runner sent me news of my 2 sons besieging Sybaris, "we had caught them off gaurd, the majority of the Sybaris army is not in the city" the runner told me. I entrusted the runner to tell my sons to attack when the son is high over Sybaris. Summer came and Taras went into debt, I began to worry, yet the runner returned with a rolled up piece of fabric in hand with writing on it, he gave it to me, and upon it read...
    -------
    "Great father of Taras, we your sons are victorious! we had to make haste to attack, as the Sybaris army was returning and could be seen in the distance, so we built a crude ram to attack the gates"

"Upon entering the town we met little resistance, however we could hear the enemy opening gates at the far end of the town it was not long before they began to approach us and attempt to charged us, but it was to late for them as most of our soldiers had entered and had prepared"

"In the end the enemy was completly terminated with little loss of our own soldiers, the dead Sybaris littered the streets"

-------
    Upon reading this I ordered for all Sybaris citizens to be executed to make room for Taras populations, the gold and silver plundered from the city was more than enough to pay off the Taras defeceit...
    Last edited by Sigma; May 23, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

Default Re: The Taras dream, an AAR...

Use the direct link to the image rather than the imageshack page with all their rubbish around it. That way it loads much faster and you can get them coming up properly.

Thanks to Quacky for helping me out there
    }
    Winter, 558 B.C. My younger son Kallos entered adult hood, but as with everyone in the Phalanthidos family, he must prove himself in battle, sadly, I am still lacking enough funds to build up a small force for him to use...

Summer, 557 B.C. My dear daughter was married today to general Misenos of Pandosia, he has been a most loyal aid to me for some time and thought it would be right for him to mary my daughter.

All events aside, due to my lack of funds, I mustered up the garrisoned army of the Taras capital and lended it to my younger son Kallos, and gave him direct orders to siege the town of Apoulioi, Misenos is joining him in his attack.

I sent a spy to Apoulioi 6 months prior to my attack and the reports worry me as we are outnumbered, however, the spy was able to open the gates of Apoulioi for us, thus allowing Kallos and Misenos to enter with no trouble at all. Now to see how the attack turns out....

In other happenings I have sent a diplomat across the eastern waters to explore and establish relations with the people of the east.

my diplomat in the wilderness of Greece
    Last edited by Sigma; May 23, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

Hehe executed 'em all!

Keep it up!

A runner today sent me reports of the battle of Apoulioi, it was a success, even though we were outnumbered by many, the enemy was completly crushed! However our invading army suffered some horrific casulties among its ranks, I will bring more news on the aftermath of the battle as it comes....

~Ameinokles Phalanthidos

Yes, the battle was a hard fought one, yet we still came out on top, the spy we sent to the city was able to open all the gates for us, making our job much easier...

Kallos personally marches into the undefended city himself

However inside the city is where the real danger lurked, our army was attacked as it marched towards the center of town by what seemed to be desperate waves of troops and calvery...

notice the enemy calvery approaching

The enemy was to weak compared to us and their attack proved futile, they retreated back to the town center to rally...

We hit the remaining enemy head on at the town center, my troops humiliated the enemy in front of their sacred shrine. Lets hope their gods watched our victory!

As usual I executed the rebel populous after battle to make way for my greater people...
    --------
    557-556 B.C.
    My son Kallos has made me happy, this land is almost unified, Taras funds are stable and the Taras strenth has struck fear into the hearts of our enemies as they have fled south...

I can now focus on our economy, I have built larger temples to please the gods, and my diplomat has established trade with 2 nations of the east called Makedon and Skudata, ports must be made larger to keep up with trade...

I'm hoping in due time I should be able to build up a force to destroy the Rebels once and for all!
    Last edited by Sigma; May 23, 2007 at 05:13 PM.

It is Summer, 551 B.C. Taras has enjoyed over 4 years of great trade, richness, peace and happiness, I have made improvements in my cities and put a stone wall around the capital.

Also during this time 2 of my grandchildren have come to age...

It is up to my children to decide if my grandchildren will follow the family tradition of proving themselves...

Over these last years I have been putting some funds into building a army, I have intrusted this army to Misenos and my grandchild Megistias, and have ordered them to take the South West town of Poseidonia they have set up an attack point from the last report I have heard. I hope to unify this land soon, I am growing on in age, today I have reach 68 years of age, my time is limited and I will soon join the gods...

Default Re: A long update!

Winter of 551 B.C. Misenos and my grandson Megistias moved into siege Posidonia, the rebel army there was laughable, it was only 77 men against my 566 strong...

We took the settlement with ease in 550, I guess I am growing softer in my older age, I felt sorry for the citizens in the town and enslaved them instead of executing them, they worshiped my for my kindness towards them...

My troops parade into Posidonia...

My grandaughter also suprised me by getting married, maybe I will live long enough to see another generation?

Misenos requested that he continue south to drive out the rebels out of our land completly, I agreed to it, Megistias has decided to stay in Posidonia to be ruling prince over the town.

Misenos used the army that was used to attack Posidonia, he head south towards Rhegoin...

My 70th birthday is today, March 15, 549... I have recieved word from my runner that Rhegoin is under siege, maybe, just maybe I will live long enough to see my dream happen. People celebrate in the streets today, and shout that the gods have blessed me, and must have a place for me in the afterlife...
    --------
    Winter 549, A runner has sent to me great news of the victory at Rhegoin, as written up by Misenos...

"Greetings great, and noble king of Taras, I, Misenoes have conquered and destroyed the last rebel city in or lands, rest assure coast to coast is now in yours and Taras hands."

"I ordered the archers to harrass the enemy, keep them from defending the gates! and a great job they did at that, the rain of arrows kept the enemy away from their gates and thus when the ram broke through, the soldiers could enter with ease.
    Yet as with the many rebel soldiers I encounter, they tend to pull back and hide with in the city, these people were just the same, as marching towards the city center a number of rebels suprised many of my troops and attacked our flank, it did strike some fear into my troops, but they over came and wasting no time, destroyed the rebels!

My troops getting flanked

"We recovered just in time to prepare for the main attack force of the rebels"

"The battle became brutal then, fighting that seemed to have no end, however, a calvery general came to me and said that he had found a way to flank the enemy, I let him proceed, so while my infantry put up a fight that would please the gods, my calvery flanked the enemy"

"This quickly spread great panic through the rebel forces, and they fled almost instantly, also in this panic the enemy general was trampled by the foot of my calvery and his own men, a fine way to end a rebels life!"
    "My calvery killed many of the fleeing rebels and the remaining fought to the death at the town center, I took the pleasure of joining the battle myself and finishing off the last few rebel troops. Hail Taras!!"

Misenos in battle

Looking good! The Taras generals look so awesome in battle.

Congrats with the completion of your Italian conquests. Will Ameinokles see another conquest before he passes?
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Currently I just landed an army in Sicily, might wait a few turns and hire some mercenaries before I siege a city though... (one of the Sicily cities has stone walls, so I have to take precautions)

After the unification in 549,.... *cough* *hack* *Cough* *Cough* Taras has entered an age of prosperity... However sad events have happened... my wife Kallisto.... died in her sleep in the cold dark winter night of 548. I do not go a day without thinking of her...

I myself have recently caught the weakness of age... now I am 74, I am currently waiting for... *cough* news on the assualt I launched on the south Island of Taras, back around Summer of 548 my grandson... Oikles wanted to explore outside of our teritory.... I let him, he and commander Phorbas traveled to the Island and as of last year.... *cough* I recieved word that he had besieged a small rebel town, I just hope he will be allright...

My messenger has just sent me word that they have taken the town, here is the report of Oikles...
    ---------
    "Greetings Grandfather, king of Taras, the battle was a tricky one , and at times I thought I would surly perish, but by the gods grace we came out on top. We rammed the gates and followed the Taras proceedure of attacking, but you should already know that Grandfather, but upon entering the city we were ambushed from all sides, and lost a whole unit to the fiends..."

Our troops are surrounded

"However, I was able to command the calvery to flank the sides of the enemy and attack, causing many rebels to flee, and we persued..."

"In the end it was another stand off at the towncenter, nothing you haven't heard before I'm sure grandfather,we crushed them then executed the population, the attack cost me half of my forces though, I do request more troops, I might need them later on"
    ----------

This report I must say is good... and fills me with excitement, yet, the boy seems a bit odd to me, maybe I'm going senile... *cough* *hack* my chest is full of terrible pain, I think I might go... *cough* and sit for a while, maybe finish *cough* writing up the new speech for the citizens of Taras I have been working... on...

The pic just above this post is awesome! Ameinokles is old...hope he lives longer hehe

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

you should take over epieros

@Fuzz-That pic I almost didn't add until I relized that they were in nice formation, so I added it in the end and sadly my faction leader did die on me, which I find odd as I didn't expect him to die just maybe be sick for a few years, but he lived 74 years, good long run I guess...
    --------

Our great king is dead at 74 years...

My father died last night in his sleep happily, he lived to see Taras become a great nation, and I his son Antilochos Phalinthidos have taken the crown, I will expand the borders of Taras! and in the end plan to expand Taras influence to the Greek lands of the east!

Our new king!

My first action as king, is to finish conquering the Rebel Island south of Taras lands, I plan on doing this myself... I have called upon the armies of Taras to meet me at the capital, which they have done, and from there we will travel by boat to the Island. We start our trip on, Summer 544 B.C....

and before I forget a son has come to age, Phereklus Phalinthidos, may he be a worthy addition to the family. If not then may the gods have mercy on his soul...

I arrived on the Rebel Island around April of 543, and besieged the city a few weeks later...

As I was besieging the city I recieved word that my diplomat was givin map information of the Illyrian territory but we have to pay a tribute of 100 gold for 5 years... This angers me! my diplomat giving away gold to a bunch of Greek renegade barbarians just for map information!... On the good side though, he managed to get map information from most of the Greek nations by only trading our map information...

-------
    It is winter, 543 B.C. Our forces were unexpectedly attacked by a rebel force of over 600 from the east, as they try to defend their city!

We hid behind a hill to conceal our forces and prevent the enemy from seeing our full strenth. Eventually the enemy got close enough and some of our units engaged...

Soon our full force took the enemy by suprise and it broke out into a massive battle!

The enemy general was completly taken by suprise and was killed within seconds, while his bodygaurd routed rather than fight any longer...

The Rebel city garrason then attempted to attack with the laughable 100 or so men they had, I personally went after them!

The king suprises them!

The Fear me and my bodygaurds struck into the the enemy was unmeasurable, they fled when I personally beheaded their general and threw the head at the routing enemy as they screamed and runned back to thier city, most of the rebels were either killed, or routed out into the forests never to be seen again, only around 20 rebels made it back to the city. A fine victory it was today. It was not all over...

We had our siege equipment ready, and we assulted the stone walls of the city...

We started by placing 2 ladders and a siege tower at the walls, and quickly took the walls. Thus I was able to walk my way into the city...

I personally confronted the enemy rebels, they died quite easily, afterwards I enslaved the old populous of the town, they will make a good work force to build up Taras, all 7000 of them...

At least over 10 years of economic prosperity for Taras, the slaves worked well, and soon our cities grew to great sizes, I made allies of many nations... I built up 2 main armies to invade the Greek mainland... with me came my family members to help command the armies Phaedon of Mandouria, and Phorbis of Uria. Phorbis and Phaedon were to attack the northern Illyrian town of Epidamnos and I and my troops the southern Illyrian town of Dodone. we set out in 533.

After arriving we quickly besieged and attacked...

Overall it was a success, we conquered the towns, I had little problems, and almost no casulties, yet after my battle a report came to me saying that Phaedon was caught off gaurd, outflanked and killed in battle...

I made a ceasefire pact with the Illyrians and all seemed well yet then about a month later the unthinkable happened, I was betrayed by one of my allies, Sparta. They attacked Dodone and kept it besieged for 2 years...
    I managed to to call up my son Phereklus to deliver me from that hell, we joined our armies and attack the Spartans head on...

That battle was hard, very hard, half of my men were killed, and many of my units were about to route, yet we held them off and managed to kill their general which made the battle weary Spartans break and flee...

Antilochos looking upon the Dead Spartan Generals body
    Yet, after the battle, a scout reported back to me that another Spartan army was approaching, so I destroyed Dodone and left for Epidamnos where I would build a small defensive fort...

532, I lost the town of Dodone to Sparta, I was ready for them, then the Illyrians made an alliance with Sparta and declared war upon me, they besieged Epidamnos, and I had only one choice... evacuate as soon as I could.
    I ordered Phorbis and Phereklus to free Dodone so we and most of our forces could escape.

Our troops holding off a calvery charge...
    They succeeded, Phorbis was mortally wounded by a spear to the sholder and died of bleeding before we evacuated the place though, many of our soldiers consider him a hero for his actions of sacraficing his life to save the army from the forces of the Illyrians. We escaped in time, Epidamnos was taken by over by a Spartan army, more then 1,000 strong...

After arriving home, I came to the terrible news that the Capital was being swept by a plauge, and that it would be unsafe for me to stay there, so now I must stay in Sybaris until the plauge blows over in the Capital...
    Last edited by Sigma; May 27, 2007 at 07:14 AM.

Master_Swordman's Avatar Civis

Wow, so much for that invasion attempt...

Better luck next time.

Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots (18-0) vs. New York Giants (12-6)
    ...and another ones gone, and another ones gone...

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

alright this inspired me, I'm doing one for Parsa on Meduim strat/ and hard battles.

postin soon

damn fraps not workin. and just at the start of the epic seige of Babylon! *pouts*
    woo nevermind. I've got it working. my AAR is mostly uneventful, save for the capture of bab-ilu within 9 years.
    Last edited by Paul d; May 27, 2007 at 01:15 AM.

I added more pictures to my last post and fixed one of them, my internet screwed up on me yesterday so I had to rush and post the last post, sorry about that, the pictures should all be up now

My failed invasion of the Greek mainland has upset me, yet I will seek else where to conquer lands... for the past few years my economy has been slowing down some due to the losses of my invasion, I set out 4 Triremes around 532 to explore the coasts of distant lands, they come back telling me of a Island off the coast of the Greek Mainlands that is suitable to conquer... So I've retrained my forces and am about to send them off to take the Island...

Presently it is now Summer of 527 and I grow to old to fight, I have put in command Phereklus and new family member Tithonios of Sallentinon, they will attack the Island for me...

They have a long Journy ahead of them as they load up in the Triremes, may the gods be with them...

---------

I Iamboulos Phalanthidos have an urgent annoucement, December 30th 526 B.C. my brother Antilochos Phalanthidos had paralization of the body and died moments later, as in his last words, I have rights to successor, I plan on carrying out the plans of my dear brother whilst at the same time, boosting up our declining economy...

My first order of action is to continue out my brothers plans and attack the rebel Island. Then transform it into a launching point for further invasions onto the other lands...

---------
    It is 525 and I have recieved word concerning the rebel Island...
    "This is Tithonios of Sallentinon King Antilochos Phalanthidos, (obviously dosen't know that the old king is dead) I have taken the Rebel Island after they tried to defend themselves, but our battle hardened troops deflected them like an arrow to an iron sheild...

Knossos is ours sire!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast